News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Stolen from Reddit but the condition of a lot of the tracks are terrible, this is the 506 but even the 501 has some terrible section despite being closed for what like 5+ years?

501 (my photo)
View attachment 562150

506 from reddit:

View attachment 562269

View attachment 562270
Really can't blame TTC for this as this is what heavy traffic does to roads. If it is the rails, then TTC needs to rethink how to design the base, but most of all a topcoat that will with stand the heavy traffic.

Looking at Detroit LRT tracks in March, I guess they have the right idea for building the road and the tracks for the QLine by using rebar around the rails as well in the top coat. Have seen no change in the road surface since the line when into service May 12, 2017 and the road completed in 2015. I always thought it was over kill seeing it during construction and looks like I maybe wrong.

Haven't had a close look at Buffalo LRT since they rebuild the ROW for mix traffic.

Really can't blame TTC for this as this is what heavy traffic does to roads. If it is the rails, then TTC needs to rethink how to design the base, but most of all a topcoat that will with stand the heavy traffic.

Looking at Detroit LRT tracks in March, I guess they have the right idea for building the road and the tracks for the QLine by using rebar around the rails as well in the top coat. Have seen no change in the road surface since the line when into service May 12, 2017 and the road completed in 2015. I always thought it was over kill seeing it during construction and looks like I maybe wrong.

Haven't had a close look at Buffalo LRT since they rebuild the ROW for mix traffic.
My complaint is more that sections that were closed for several years still had a lot of damage that they never ended up fixing.

Reactions: max
Stolen from Reddit but the condition of a lot of the tracks are terrible, this is the 506 but even the 501 has some terrible section despite being closed for what like 5+ years?

501 (my photo)
View attachment 562150

506 from reddit:

View attachment 562269

View attachment 562270

You think that's bad? You should see the King West stretch @ Liberty Village.

Z8P_4541 copy.jpg

/s

My complaint is more that sections that were closed for several years still had a lot of damage that they never ended up fixing.
I agree, it's frustrating because on the subway they try to coordinate multiple work projects to fit within a closure window but on the surface they can't seem to coordinate in a similar fashion. A different symptom of this coordination problem was when overhead wiring projects were not done when nearby intersections closures guaranteed empty tracks only to have track reopenings delayed until wiring work could be finished, the one that immediately springs to mind is King from Dufferin to Roncesvalles during the KQQR work.

I agree, it's frustrating because on the subway they try to coordinate multiple work projects to fit within a closure window but on the surface they can't seem to coordinate in a similar fashion. A different symptom of this coordination problem was when overhead wiring projects were not done when nearby intersections closures guaranteed empty tracks only to have track reopenings delayed until wiring work could be finished, the one that immediately springs to mind is King from Dufferin to Roncesvalles during the KQQR work.
I feel like if byford was still here they'd be better at explaining things. The public doesn't realize how much of a mess the utility companies make of projects, I remember Toronto hydro's vault kept carleton closed for months longer than needed since it wasn't on the planes but discovered when digging.
You think that's bad? You should see the King West stretch @ Liberty Village.

View attachment 562420

/s
LMAO surprised nobody is offorading there. I'm happy though they're finally repaving a bunch of downtown that hasn't been touched in decades!

I feel like if byford was still here they'd be better at explaining things. The public doesn't realize how much of a mess the utility companies make of projects, I remember Toronto hydro's vault kept carleton closed for months longer than needed since it wasn't on the planes but discovered when digging.

LMAO surprised nobody is offorading there. I'm happy though they're finally repaving a bunch of downtown that hasn't been touched in decades!
Not just repaving, but replacing streetcar tracks from Dufferin to Shaw! 🥳

Reactions: max
Line 2 was down for quite a while this morning due to a fire at Yonge and Bloor, and I’m hearing of another closure this afternoon due to fire?

Line 2 was down for quite a while this morning due to a fire at Yonge and Bloor, and I’m hearing of another closure this afternoon due to fire?

God I hope not!

The issue this morning was related to a fire which would not stay out. They put it out, only for it to start up again hence why the subway went out twice.

I ended up hoofing it from Broadview to St George rather than wait for a shuttle.

The TTC's 5-year Service and Customer Experience Plan is on the agenda of next week's TTC Meeting:

There's a lot going on there and I will, at this point only post a sample of things and will encourage others to deep dive.

Here's the fiscal bit, which gives you an idea of what may be coming, subject to funding, and when:

1715296591439.png

That * Subject to Funding * statement becomes much clearer w/the next graphic, which shows funded/unfunded based on this year's approved budget:

1715296690589.png

^^^ Above is in millions of 2024 dollars

Fleet:

1715296749896.png

A very few select slides:

1715296879652.png

1715296907095.png

1715296929862.png

1715297044877.png

1715297071093.png

1715297113331.png

* there is a single mention of more washrooms elsewhere in the report.

1715297193323.png

1715297221361.png

1715297268050.png

There ya go UT a quick skim of 177 pages for you.

In a separate post later, I will provide some thoughts and dissection.

Attachments

• 1715297231040.png
    1715297231040.png
    488 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
We could reduce the unfunded bus number by continuing to buy some hybrids instead of insisting on all orders being electric prior to 2028 (2040 minus 12 year lifespan)

That works. Its not the service summary; but it has similar info in it.

Lets see what's notable: (I looked for improvements of 2M or greater in the headway.........there isn't much there)

View attachment 562181

View attachment 562183

View attachment 562184

View attachment 562185
View attachment 562186

View attachment 562187
View attachment 562188
That's exactly what I was just about to make note of. While there are certainly cases where there are some improvements (ie: Service on the 95B York Mills having service hours extended); a lot of this is just service reallocation, or service being temporarily increased due to vehicle storage constraints (ie: 301 Queen).

The fact that they still wont improve service on either Line 1 or Line 2 is a joke. During the mid-day periods its common to see trains on both lines being crammed due to inadequate headways, and dont even get me started on the early afternoon rush-hour where service is a joke and trains on both lines are packed to capacity.

So in saying all that, when is Rick Leary going to be fired?

Steve Munro now has his take on this up............and he's no more charitable than any of us have been; he stopped one step short of saying the Mayor is actively spreading a lie w/the hype over service increases, but he is clearly not amused; and I don't blame him!

We need to get the mainstream media to pick up on Steve's piece here and get a mic in the face of TTC Chair Myers and the Mayor.

Last edited:
Steve Munro now has his take on this up............and he's no more charitable than any of us have been; he stopped one step short of saying the Mayor is actively spreading a lie w/the hype over service increases, but he is clearly not amused; and I don't blame him!

We need to get the mainstream media to pick up on Steve's piece here and get a mic in the face of TTC Chair Myers and the Mayor.
Unfortunately the media already drank the cool-aid and has already portrayed it as a service increase, so it's pretty much too late to make it seem like it's anything different than what it really is. That's unless some media outlet's investigative team decides to dig into how inadequate the TTC's "service" has been these days.

Back