News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Overall, ridership is growing well. On the Millennium Line, it's growing - but it's still a truncated line. Even when the Evergreen Line is finished, it won't connect to the Broadway Office District as originally envisaged - not yet anyways.

Pics from SSP Sept 18th, 2013:

Speaking of progress, this is the image I took on Saturday at the same location, about 2 days after yours:

jk4w.jpg

View from the top, you can see the pillars in the transition zone across the road:
cthj.jpg

New Park and Ride lot in Moody Centre
ny1p.jpg

At-grade guideway construction east of Moody Centre looking west, near Golden Spike Lane:
ncv4.jpg

Looking east, where the track crosses the railway:
o6i8.jpg

Inlet Centre station construction, from a different angle. The station is actually quite deep..
hotw.jpg

Looking toward the VSF site from the east. The view is probably about 400m away from my camera location. I actually have no idea of what this is, although from Google Streetview, there seems to be no building there before, so I assume this is something new. And.. the west side of the VSF is completely blocked by construction equipments, so I couldn't see much from there either...
v22q.jpg

Pics from SSP October 16th, 2013:

Hi folks
Long time lurker, first time poster, but I couldn't resist not posting these. Yesterday my Construction Science Class went on a tour of Armtecs Pre-Cast Concrete factory where they are currently producing the guide way segments for the Evergreen Line. Sorry for the poor quality but all I had with me was my phone.

Pics from SSP dated October 25th, 2013:

Poor quality pics by me yesterday as was in a rush....but gives a nice update for those that have not been in the area lately...

Burquitlam Station:

Viewing South of Station towards North Road:

Viewing North of Station to intersection of Clark / Como Lake:

Drilling on North Road West of Foster

Work on North Road South of Austin:

Lougheed Station:

White Spot:

Gantry Crane assembly south of South Portal Entrance:

Thanks for the update! Quite a few interesting projects going on across Canada right now. I don't follow Vancouver transit very closely, but I am somewhat familiar with it, so perhaps you can answer this: What's the current status of the transit improvements on the Broadway-UBC corridor? I saw a few studies from a couple years ago a while back, but I'm curious if it's advanced any, especially now that the Evergreen Line is under construction (with the Broadway-UBC corridor I'm assuming being next on the "to-do" list). Thanks!

What's the current status of the transit improvements on the Broadway-UBC corridor? I saw a few studies from a couple years ago a while back, but I'm curious if it's advanced any, especially now that the Evergreen Line is under construction (with the Broadway-UBC corridor I'm assuming being next on the "to-do" list). Thanks!

The next items on the "to-do" list are an LRT network in Surrey and SkyTrain extension to Broadway and possibly on to UBC (my guess is that this would be phased, with phase 1 to Arbutus to serve the Broadway office district (and connecting with Canada Line) - that would also allow funds to be directed to Surrey's LRT). The City of Surrey wants an at-grade, in-street LRT, but for all we know, the Province may step in a dictate a SkyTrain extension.

There's a polite battle between Surrey and Vancouver as to who is next - together with the same funding issues that Toronto has (i.e. how to raise the funds). It's really just wait and see so far.

However, in the last Provincial election, one of the ridings along the proposed UBC line defeated Premier Christy Clark (and she later won a seat in Kelowna (interior of the province). So she's not likely to spend $1B on the area - and in fact has since announced a new highway bridge to replace the Massey Tunnel under the Fraser River (to serve more Liberal friendly ridings).

The next items on the "to-do" list are an LRT network in Surrey and SkyTrain extension to Broadway and possibly on to UBC (my guess is that this would be phased, with phase 1 to Arbutus to serve the Broadway office district (and connecting with Canada Line) - that would also allow funds to be directed to Surrey's LRT). The City of Surrey wants an at-grade, in-street LRT, but for all we know, the Province may step in a dictate a SkyTrain extension.

There's a polite battle between Surrey and Vancouver as to who is next - together with the same funding issues that Toronto has (i.e. how to raise the funds). It's really just wait and see so far.

However, in the last Provincial election, one of the ridings along the proposed UBC line defeated Premier Christy Clark (and she later won a seat in Kelowna (interior of the province). So she's not likely to spend $1B on the area - and in fact has since announced a new highway bridge to replace the Massey Tunnel under the Fraser River (to serve more Liberal friendly ridings).

Hmm, interesting. Thanks! And yes, Arbutus does seem like a good interim terminus. It'll be interesting to see if Translink can come up with enough funding to do both projects simultaneously, or if it'll be one or the other. I'm more familiar with the Broadway area of Vancouver than I am with Surrey, but I would imagine that UBC alone would ensure that the SkyTrain extension would be very well used.

It's the classic "shape future growth" in Surrey versus "serve existing growth" in Vancouver scenario,
PLUS, in Metro Vancouver, Surrey (pop. >500,000) contributes a lot of tax dollars to TransLink, but does not get a lot back in return (it just got its first B-Line rapid bus), so instead of serving demand to UBC, a politically driven, more equitable position may suggest Surrey goes first instead of following a Vancouver-centric route.

Where would the Surrey LRT go, if built? I see two logical corridors: Fraser Highway towards Langley (extension of the existing Skytrain corridor) and King George Boulevard towards White Rock. The new B-Line is on 104 Street, which is neither of these corridors.

Video and pic of the beam placed at Lougheed Station on the "stubs" constrtucted back in 1999 for the Millennium Line )Phase 2).
On the second to last video, note the tall rebar column cage behind the White Spot Restaurant and the column footing in front of the restaurant. The guideway will travel over the restaurant building.

Better video from this morning showing the two new segments of the outbound guideway.

Nice! Thanks dpogue!

It looks like they are concrete girders, so I was right on this part that they will be consistent with what is already in Lougheed Station, as oppose to steel. What will happen afterwards...we shall see.

Edit: After looking at the end of the concrete girder on the outbound platform carefully, the gap seems to indicate that something very large will be placed just after it. From that part onward, it will likely not be the boxy concrete girder but looks like a large preformed curved girder will be placed there (think those curvy girders near Braid). Not sure whether it will be concrete or steel...we shall see.

d5wr.jpg

I guess the next big thing would be seeing how the beam would look like for those two columns immediately after the existing Lougheed station guideways to take the differences in grade changes.

Is it me or is the column directly beside Whitespot has a really large circumference? I'm not sure about the one beside North Road, maybe that too has a large circumference?

Last edited:
A concrete box tunnel (to contain station platforms and guideway) will be "pushed" or "jacked" into place under Barnet Highway (an arterial road) on Remmbrance Day weekend. Barnet Highway will be closed for a weekend during the process instead of a longer period.

Info here:

http://www.evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/barnetclosure.htm

Here's a series of webcam pics of the concrete box to be pushed under Barnet Highway:

October 30, 2013:
imagehandler.ashx

http://wcs.pbaeng.com/projects/R1_Transit

November 2, 2013:
imagehandler.ashx

November 4, 2013:
imagehandler.ashx

The TBM is on its way - from the TranBC website dated Nov 5, 2013:

10697820254_5a63cb2466_c.jpg

The tunnel boring machine that will build the 2-km tunnel on the Evergreen Line is heading to BC from Ontario. It’s being shipped in pieces by truck and rail because of its size. The entire tunnel boring machine is 85 metres long and 10 metres in diameter.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/10697820254/in/set-72157632226282626/

10697819904_84799780c7_c.jpg

The Evergreen Line’s massive tunnel boring machine is making its way to B.C. from the manufacturer in Ontario. The machine will build the two-kilometre tunnel that will run west of Barnet Highway in Port Moody to south of Kemsley Avenue in Coquitlam.
Due to its size and weight, the tunnel boring machine is being shipped in pieces from Ontario and will be assembled at a specially built launch site on the west side of the Barnet Highway in Port Moody. Assembly will take a couple of months, with tunnel construction expected to start in February 2014. The entire tunnel boring machine is 85 metres long and 10 metres in diameter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/10697819904/in/set-72157632226282626/

10698008163_bceffced67_c.jpg

This is the cutter head on the tunnel boring machine. The cutter head is 10 metres in diameter and weighs 130 tonnes. It’s the first piece of the tunnel boring machine and it rotates to break up the ground and a conveyor system moves the spoils to the back of the machine for disposal. Moving an average of eight metres a day, it will take approximately a year to build the two-kilometre tunnel.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/10697819904/in/set-72157632226282626/

Pics from the push (weekend closure of roadway to excavate and push tunnel box unto place under roadway)

Nov 9, 2013 - 8:00 am
imagehandler.ashx

Nov 9, 2013 - 12:00 noon
imagehandler.ashx

Nov 9, 2013 - 3:00 pm
imagehandler.ashx

Nov 9, 2013 - 9:00 pm
imagehandler.ashx

Nov 9, 2013 - 12 midnight
imagehandler.ashx

Nov 10, 2013 - 3:00 am
imagehandler.ashx

Nov 10, 2013 - 6:00 am
imagehandler.ashx

Nov 10, 2013 - 10:00 am
imagehandler.ashx

Nov 10, 2013 - 2:00 pm
imagehandler.ashx

Nov 10, 2013 - 4:00 pm - DONE - tunnel box now under roadway alignment (road to be restored)
imagehandler.ashx

All pics from: http://wcs.pbaeng.com/projects/R1_Transit

Go to http://wcs.pbaeng.com/projects/R1_Transit

Go to the Inlet Station webcam - Click on "Gallery", click on "1 wk" move the cursor to Nov 9 and hit "play" (arrow).
You'll see the timelapse of the push.

INFORMATION BULLETIN

2013TRAN0071-001695
Nov. 13, 2013
Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure

Evergreen Line crews beat schedule with innovative construction

PORT MOODY – Evergreen Line construction crews pushed an enormous concrete box under the Barnet Highway and reopened the road to traffic eight hours ahead of schedule over the long weekend.

This was the largest traffic disruption expected on the Evergreen Line project and it is now done.

The work took place over the weekend and Remembrance Day, rather than over 60 nights, which reduced disruptions to the travelling public and area residents. Now that the work is finished, the weekend closure at Barnet Highway and Ioco Road for Nov. 15-17, 2013, is cancelled.

The concrete box was the largest of its kind in North America, weighing about 4,000 tonnes, 15 metres wide, seven metres high and 50 metres long. A row of 30 hydraulic jacks pushed it into position.

The box will contain a portion of the future Evergreen Line Inlet Centre Station platform and guideway. Now crews will be able to build the station with minimal disruption to the road and traffic. The Inlet Centre Station will have two entrances — one on the west side and the other on the east side of the intersection, allowing passengers convenient, safe access from each side of Barnet Highway. This station design responds to the community’s desire to have a station that is not elevated.

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure thanks the public for their patience while the Evergreen Line is under construction.

From the TranBC flickr account:

10827592585_82586c83b9_c.jpg

Construction on the Evergreen Line continues. Crews are inside the concrete box, watching as a section of the Barnet Highway is removed to make room for the box to be pushed into position. The box will contain a portion of the future Evergreen Line Inlet Centre Station platform and guideway. Now crews will be able to build station with minimal disruption to the road and traffic. The Inlet Centre Station will have two entrances —one on the west side and the other on the east side of the intersection, allowing passengers convenient, safe access from each side of Barnet Highway. This station design responds to the community’s desire to have a station that is not elevated.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/10827592585/in/set-72157632226282626

10827912093_f7e8953727_c.jpg

Construction on the Evergreen Line continues. Over the November long weekend, crews pushed an enormous concrete box under the Barnet Highway and reopened the road to traffic eight hours ahead of schedule over the long weekend. This was the largest traffic disruption expected on the Evergreen Line project and it is now done.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/10827912093/in/set-72157632226282626/

10827919633_6e474dec52_c.jpg

Over the November long weekend, crews pushed a 4,000 tonne concrete box under the Barnet Highway for the future Inlet Centre Station as part of Evergreen Line project. They finished the work early and reopened the road to traffic eight hours ahead of schedule.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/10827919633/in/set-72157632226282626/

10827775554_be60f5fc67_c.jpg

Crews rebuilt a section of the Barnet Highway before reopening the road to traffic eight hours ahead of schedule. Over the November long weekend, crews pushed an enormous concrete box under the Barnet Highway for the future Inlet Centre Station. This was the largest traffic disruption expected on the Evergreen Line project and it is now done.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc/10827775554/in/set-72157632226282626/

Last edited:
TBM being assembled Dec 10, 2013:

imagehandler.ashx

The gantry is up in Burquitlam:

1470225_617984744914700_1713873004_n.jpg

Crews are almost finished assembling the massive gantry (or truss). The gantry will be used to hoist the individual concrete guideway segments into position on top of the columns that have been constructed along Clarke and North roads in the Burquitlam neighbourhood. The first guideway segment is scheduled to be up before the end of December.
https://www.facebook.com/evergreenline/photos_stream

Back