News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I would have preferred more coniferous trees if this is in fact the breakdown from the park rendering.

Also not much colour in the park for a winter city.

Screenshot_20240508_231308_Drive.jpg

I would have preferred more coniferous trees if this is in fact the breakdown from the park rendering.

Also not much colour in the park for a winter city.

View attachment 562704
Is the maintenance for needles/pinecones, sight lines, and bigger bases vs canopy’s why we don’t use coniferous trees as much in high traffic parks?

Is the maintenance for needles/pinecones, sight lines, and bigger bases vs canopy’s why we don’t use coniferous trees as much in high traffic parks?
I think there are some winter city and CPTED considerations. Coniferous trees increase shade/decrease sun access, which can be nice in the summer, but can make the area feel colder in the winter. Although I agree a few more coniferous trees would have been nice.

coniferous trees also turn the soil under them acidic (from dropping needles). This kills any grasses that may be under them. City of Edmonton used to (maybe still does) take the xmas tree roundup, put the trees through the chipper and use the resulting mulch to keep weeds down in shrub beds. Not saying there should be few evergreens but there's a choice between them and grass.

Last edited:

Back