8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Offworld

Member Bio
Reaction score
The conference was generally interesting. I was taken aback by one comment made during a panel discussion. I won't name names, but someone in the C-suite of a well-established development group admitted that he hadn't heard anything about Calgary's office to residential conversion program until someone mentioned it to him at the conference. I would have thought a person in that position would be in the know for what's going on outside the city.

Any rumours of new buildings being planned or new players coming into Edmonton?
No rumours of note, if any unfortunately. There was certainly far more support for woodframe low rise versus concrete mid or high rises.

In terms of new players from elsewhere, the general theme was that new players, some from BC and several from back east, were certainly interested in Calgary but bypassing Edmonton. Back east, it sounds like Calgary has a much more robust draw, greater growth prospects and a better risk-reward profile.

No rumours of note, if any unfortunately. There was certainly far more support for woodframe low rise versus concrete mid or high rises.

In terms of new players from elsewhere, the general theme was that new players, some from BC and several from back east, were certainly interested in Calgary but bypassing Edmonton. Back east, it sounds like Calgary has a much more robust draw, greater growth prospects and a better risk-reward profile.
I attended yesterday, as well. Overall, very positive talks for Edmonton, though as you stated, Calgary is still very much the preferred city for new development.

I attended yesterday, as well. Overall, very positive talks for Edmonton, though as you stated, Calgary is still very much the preferred city for new development.
I attended the Edmonton Real Estate Forum yesterday and it was very much the same.

Back