39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

PUTOTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
windyp.jpg

windspeed.jpg

I have been living in Toronto for a few years, and I found this city very windy. Comparing to many places I’ve visited and lived before including New York City, Chicago, Montreal, Tokyo, and Seoul, this city seems to be the windiest. And it is sometimes unpleasant (or uncomfortable), and distracting.
Statistics say, Toronto's average annual wind speed is 14.7km/h (at Pearson Int'l Airport) and 17.2km/h (at Toronto Islands). Comparing to Chicago 16.6 km/h, NYC (at Central Park) 15.0 km/h, Los Angeles 12.1km/h Vancouver 11.8km/h, and Montreal 11.5km/h, Toronto Is a windy city. In Canada, St. John's looks like the windiest place, but among the major cities Toronto becomes the windiest one. It is quite a contrast to NYC and LA, America’s two major financial and cultural centres, being two of the least windy places in the nation.

I found a few reasons why the windy weather is uncomfortable and disturbing.
First of all, wind makes cold weather during winters not only feel much colder but also drives me crazy with the random blowing of wind. In other words, while steady -15C without the wind is tolerable for some reason, -5 with wind randomly blowing (let’s say -15C with wind chill) made me very painful and much uncomfortable both physically and mentally.
Secondly, wind always blows away hairstyles. It might sound like a minor issue, but you can’t deny when somebody says it is impossible to put up nice hair in Toronto like Lady Gaga because of the windy weather condition. No matter how nicely you decorate your hair it will become something different with staying outside a few minutes with the wind.
Lastly, when it's raining you can't even use an umbrella to cover yourself because the wind will at some point blow it away or destroy it.

By having more days of the windy weather than any of the “four cultural capitals of the worldâ€, New York City, Tokyo, London and Paris, Toronto forces its people to be in a very unfair condition. I highly doubt thinkers would like this kind of windy weather since all they hear through their ears are not the sound of people, or the inspiring sound of city, but just “noise of the windâ€. Artists and architects would not like strong wind randomly and constantly blowing, either. In fact, no one I’ve talked to really liked the windy condition in Toronto. It makes people distracted and somewhat feel disturbed. It seems that there are even some people slightly stunned or sick after getting constantly hit by wind blows for a while.

I know there are always ways to make an improvement, instead of just living with it saying vague excuses like “it’s okayâ€. But, how exactly can we do about it?
Here are some things that I can come up with.

1) Building mountains! -it sounds difficult or seems even impossible, but technically it’s possible.
Places like Banff with a lot of surrounding mountains have very little wind (annual average 8.4 km/h). So, we can build some mountains in a proper location to block the wind, near the city of Toronto. Japanese and many others have created a lot of artificial lands in their oceans, and Germans trying to build a mountain near the city of Berlin. Their objective is to create a natural habitat for the mountain’s wildlife and at the same time, become a recreation space for everyone in the city.
Yes, we live in an era that making a land in the ocean and building a mountain on a flat landscape are possible things. I believe we also can easily make mountains near Toronto for our purpose if we wish.

berg-berlin2.jpg

Berlin's Mountain Project

kansaiinternationalairp.jpg

Kansai International Airport in Osaka, Japan

2) Building wind barrier like structure along or above streets to block the wind directly comes down high-rise buildings. I found some of these have already been installed on some buildings, but it was very ineffective in my experience. But if it has some partial effect, then it is worth putting some effort than not doing anything at all.

3) We can also put a big building in the middle of a windiest street. I think the Met life building in New York City is a good example. This way, the wind might not be able to travel directly through the wind tunnel. It will also give a very nice impact on the city street view depending on the architectural success.

metlifepark.jpg

the MetLife Building, New York City

4) Planting full of BIG & strong tree with big leaves on sidewalks –It is what I think is the most effective and positive idea.
If you visit cities like Tokyo, you'll find there are a lot of side trees on their streets and many of them are huge. We need that kind of trees along the sidewalks where people are directly exposed to strong wind. Leaves of large trees will certainly protect pedestrians from the direct hit of wind and gust. In addition, it is good because, as we all know, plants are very environmentally friendly and proven to be very good for human health. Since Toronto is getting lots of pollution from the south west of Sothern Ontario in the US and Hamilton area, it sounds like never a bad idea to have more trees in the city to support higher quality of lives of Canadian people in the cultural and financial capital of the country. Toronto some times gets hot as well during summer and expected to have more of them as the globe gets warmer. But leaves will grow out as the temperature goes up, and lots of trees on the sidewalks will provide shades and protect people not only from the nasty wind, but also from the dazzling sunlight.

200710160856203049.jpg

Shinjuku district, Tokyo, Japan

031oj.jpg

Office Buildings in Nishi-Shinjuku, Tokyo

5) We could just move this important place for the nation to somewhere nicer.
One option could be just giving up and simply moving this “capital†to a probably better location than Toronto. But I love Toronto so much, and I won’t be a supporter of this idea.

6) Making the underground path at least twice as long as now.
Even with planting a lot of trees, we can't do anything about the wind attack when leaves of the trees are gone for winter. It usually gets windier from late fall-winter-to early spring. But we can not afford to have people stuck in their houses instead of being active and contributory to the economy and culture. But in the same time we can't afford to let the people walking on the city under the harsh winter air and wind, either.
I found the underground path in Toronto very helpful. The only sad thing was that it ended very soon and I had to walk in the freezing and windy air in downtown. I’m sure there were many people went through similar situations to mine. So, I think we really need more extended underground path. And it will also be smarter to build more underground transits than above ground ones.

We can’t emphasize too much the importance of the cultural and financial capital of Canada. We can't afford to make it and its citizens leading the country go crazy or unnecessarily or unfairly disturbed or uncomfortable by bad weather with the nasty wind. We need to put an effort on making every aspect of the city environment and the quality higher and better as much as we can. I believe "aiming perfection†ends up being imperfect, but it gets close to perfect. That’s the attitude that we need
I personally love Toronto so much, and I don't want to leave or dislike this place because of the nasty wind + bad weather. In fact, there are many things that we can do about it. What do you think?

Last edited:
Well that was rude, dismissive and completely wrong.

There are definitely ways to control wind in urban environments. For example in places like Copenhagen, Malmo and San Francisco, planners have implemented measures that reduce wind in certain neighbourhoods. In Malmo, one of the new urbanist neighbourhoods Bo01 is purposely built in a way so as to defract the strong winds coming in over the Oresund Sound. This includes a non-grid pattern of walkways, triangular buildings that purposely jut out into wind paths and the like. Copenhagen's CBD uses similar techniques. The fact that their streets aren't long and straight helps break up the strength of the wind too, creating a more pedestrian-friendly environment. In San Francisco, on the new Treasure Island neighbourhood that's about to be built, the streets are designed so that they're not through-streets, and lower-rise buildings helps block the wind-tunnel effect that is felt so often in higher-rise areas.

Deciduous trees cause friction against the winds, slowing the speed a little bit as the air passes through the bare branches of a tree in winter. Conifer trees on the other hand deflect the wind since they are more solid, especially in winter, creating an oasis of calm on the lee side. A combination of the two types can make the wind less of a problem.

Another factor with the trees is that they create shade, lowering the temperatures in the vicinity.

Sorry, but I agree. Pointless thread for a built out city like Toronto.

1. We are not going to start demolishing buildings to make streets less straight.
2. Coniferous trees are great wind barriers, this is true, but they are impractical as street trees.
3. Angular buildings just deflect wind elsewhere.
4. Large buildings create wind tunnels. Toronto is building more large buildings than any other city in North America right now. Do you want this construction to stop?
5. Wind studies are already carried out when a large new building is built. It could be worse.

New neighbourhoods can (and should) be built with wind mitigating methods implemented, but this would only affect a highly localized area. One of the geographic advantages that Toronto has is that it is located along the shoreline of a large lake. Unfortunately large bodies of water and wind go hand in hand.

Well that was rude, dismissive and completely wrong.

There are definitely ways to control wind in urban environments. For example in places like Copenhagen, Malmo and San Francisco, planners have implemented measures that reduce wind in certain neighbourhoods. In Malmo, one of the new urbanist neighbourhoods Bo01 is purposely built in a way so as to defract the strong winds coming in over the Oresund Sound. This includes a non-grid pattern of walkways, triangular buildings that purposely jut out into wind paths and the like. Copenhagen's CBD uses similar techniques. The fact that their streets aren't long and straight helps break up the strength of the wind too, creating a more pedestrian-friendly environment. In San Francisco, on the new Treasure Island neighbourhood that's about to be built, the streets are designed so that they're not through-streets, and lower-rise buildings helps block the wind-tunnel effect that is felt so often in higher-rise areas.

So essentially you'll need to be standing near specifically designed buildings at all times in order to feel less wind. Once you step outside of that realm you're stuck with the forces of mother nature. Like I said, useless thread.

1. We are not going to start demolishing buildings to make streets less straight. ->I don't think anyone ever said we needed to make the streets less straight. I personally like the nicely drawn grid lines in Toronto although the award goes to Chicago. If you look at road layouts in Mississauga on google map, you'll see why GTA loses the competition.

2. Coniferous trees are great wind barriers, this is true, but they are impractical as street trees. ->I personally think large trees like the ones shown in the photo of Shinjuku district, Tokyo above, will be better and more effective than coniferous trees as side trees. Plus, they would make the city look green and nice. Of course, they would provide lots of oxigen for the citizens. So why should we hesitate to put these on our streets as a solution for many including the windy weather? Although for the winter time, we might have to hope for winter gets shorter and doesn't last too long by the global warming.;)

3. Angular buildings just deflect wind elsewhere. -> I don't know why you're suddenly talking about shapes of buildings. But if we were to talk about it, the study should be more specifically on directions and the amount.

4. Large buildings create wind tunnels. Toronto is building more large buildings than any other city in North America right now. Do you want this construction to stop? ->First of all, I'm happy that Toronto is the fastest growing(?) city on the continent. Yes, the fastest growing city in North America, where USA becomes (or recognized by the rest of the world) a major body, and it's economy is now almost paralyzed. You could say that the growth of Toronto isn't the fastest at all in the global stage.
By the way, no one would agree on the idea that we should stop construction to stop the wind. Should Japanese and Western North Americans stop building buildings because of earthquakes?

5. Wind studies are already carried out when a large new building is built. It could be worse. ->It's great news that people here are thinking about the unique environment that they have. It might have been difficult to even notice it's windy here because they live with it all the time. But can you tell me about the studies more specifically? And I don't know what you mean by "It" could be worse ?

New neighbourhoods can (and should) be built with wind mitigating methods implemented, but this would only affect a highly localized area. One of the geographic advantages that Toronto has is that it is located along the shoreline of a large lake. Unfortunately large bodies of water and wind go hand in hand. ->That's partially true but not completely. LA on the Pacific coast(*Pacific Ocean is about 8,000 times larger than Lake Ontario) and NYC on the east coast(Atlantic Ocean is about 5,000 times larger than Lake Ontario) are both less windier than Toronto. It is more complex than just being closer to a large body of water. It also has something to do with geography and the weather system. [/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a useless thread at all because it's obvious that the weather isn't going to be like this afternoon all the time. In face, we've waited for so long to have a single descent day like today. I understand this is not one of the most critical issues, but We must endlessly sick for solutions for things like this and make improvements month by month, year by year. Japanese wouldn't make their buildings endlessly upgraded with new technologies and ideas to stand up to M8 super earthquakes. As a result only about 50 out of 36,000,000 citizens died in Tokyo Metropolitan Area by the M9 Earthquake only about 300km away from the epicenter. Koreans wouldn't have almost 0 casualties by Typhoon storms which hits the country many times a year if they thought it's useless or unnecessary to think more about the tropical storm counterplan. We fortunately don’t have the worst things like those but still have some assignments to do. I strongly think we have to think about our unique weather pattern and make improvements to better ourselves and better our city.

Last edited:
Toronto's average wind speed seems off - I think the problem is that we have more days with less wind ... and more days of extremely high wind. Thats the difference I find - the amount of wind storms this city gets vs what I'm use to in Calgary. Toronto is also more susceptible to severe thunderstorms too. How is this average wind speed calculated?

lol! my solution: suck it up buttercup! simply stay inside or go on more vacations to nice warm places. The street trees were a good idea, but we all know that the technology to make those survive more than one season in Toronto is sorely lacking!

Well, PUTOTO put a lot of effort into his first post so I don't see the need to crap on his suggestions. I think the over-arching theme here rightly points out something about our culture here in Toronto. We seem to want to deny the geographic and climatic realities of our little corner of the globe in our daily lives and built form as well.

Wind is caused by air pressure gradients. These pressure gradients influence not only our hairdo but our behaviour. We live in a zone where the jet stream passes over during spring and fall causing wild fluctuations in air temperature and pressure during these periods. Many people can't handle these pressure changes well and get hyper or depressed accordingly. This is not something we can necessarily have influence over, but it is (as is the related subject of wind) at least something worth bringing into the realm of our consciousness. We are not alone in this. I read somewhere where for people who experience migrane headaches Calgary is hell because of how the systems come in over the mountains.

Back