News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I thought about this some and after taking a couple long bike rides throughout the western and eastern fringes of downtown; Areas I know well but just haven't visited in a while.
Toronto actually does have a large stock of historic buildings, many of which rival or at the very least are on the same level of those in these photos and many other north american cities.

But there's a difference, and it's a big one. It's even noticeable when compared to Winnipeg. Toronto doesn't have a concentration of these buildings in one given area, rather they are well spread around the inner core. Particularly the King / Queen west and east areas, but far apart. I recall my recent trip to winnipeg and other comparable cities (detroit is a good example as well); they tend to have a large concentration in a relatively small area (it's still substantial) but venture a little outside the core and these don't exist anymore, that's not really the case in Toronto. Not sure what the root cause is here, maybe redevelopment in Toronto which clearly took place on a level unparalelled in most other cities; which can easily be argued as a negative in this regard as we lost buildings to not so noteworthy new ones. Whereas other cities still have many un-used ones but slowly overtime they are re purposed.

The Winnipeg Exchange District...A little bit of Chicago in Manitoba...

Flar: Thanks again for the neat tour of Winnipeg's Exchange District...I noticed some resemblance to Chicago in some pictures like the street scenes in pics #1 and #8...

The buildings in pictures #13 and #14 remind me of buildings in NYC...

Winnipeg is amazing to me knowing that it is the most isolated major city in North America...a city of around half a million people situated literally in the middle of
a very rural region...I have heard it described "The middle of nowhere" and after
I visited WPG in June 1990 I found that to be true...

It is also notable that WPG contains more then half of Manitoba's population and
it probably dominates the Province of Manitoba similar to how Chicago and its
region dominates Illinois...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
Wpg_Guy;8610824 said:
Work is getting underway on 98 Albert.

98 Albert street
90 Albert St & 98 Albert street Winnipeg, MB
Developer: Unknown
Architect: https://www.atlrg.ca/
3-storey wedge, main floor restaurant space with future sidewalk patio, 2 prestige residential units and rooftop terrace with garden
V9CgtgZ.jpg

Nv2xDf4.jpg

fkt1GBv.jpg

YjYpU99.jpg

Up in the lift today at 90 Albert. 11 infilled windows set back 1.5 inches from surrounding brick. Gonna look sweet!
eRfHtSO.jpg

VNe4jnR.jpg

yxcIVc7.jpg

@alamasonryandcontractinginc

bomberjet;8425871 said:
New Singleton's space downtown on Market Ave. Looks fantastic. Again, I love the wood and brick.

ExchangeDistrictBIZ
We're pumped to welcome longstanding #Winnipeg company Singletons to the #ExchangeDistrict. They've got a brand-new look in their flagship location on Market Ave., including a rebrand and enhanced customer experience. Read more about it on our blog: https://www.exchangedistrict.org/20...lagship-exchange-district-location-on-market/

7b8b1e84-81ad-4408-a27b-cf2dcb69245f.jpeg

Movie sets in The Exchange
Wpg_Guy;8353193 said:
Do4k4LeXsAEoN_c.jpg

DqFLOzSU8AE7NAH.jpg

DqFLOzUVYAAn1Os.jpg

@brent_bellamy
Hollywood Christmas in the Exchange District.

DpfCWFoVAAAMv1J.jpg

DpfCWFnU4AAhDaI.jpg

@brent_bellamy
Hollywood bringing an early Christmas to Winnipeg’s Exchange District. Imagine downtown filled with storefronts like this in real life.

Wpg_Guy;8609535 said:
Here is the latest on the Market Lands redevelopment site:

The Market Lands has been fueled by conversation. After more than two years of public consultation, planning, and design, a dramatic redevelopment vision has emerged. Area residents, businesses, creators, and all those who love the Exchange District have shaped the project, providing the foundation and the life it needs to succeed and redefine the heart of this historic
part of our city.

The Market Lands will be a place for exchanging ideas, art and business. It will be a meeting place for creators, full of big and little discoveries. It will be a destination where Winnipeggers and tourists alike can experience the best of Winnipeg’s past reflected into the future.

THE CREATIVE HUB
The heart of the Market Lands project is a new seamless “Creative Hub” that will fill nearly an acre on the southern parcel of the site. The Creative Hub will provide creators with access to shared space, equipment and other resources to advance the skills needed to thrive in, and contribute to, the creative economy. These spaces will provide venues to collaborate, innovate, exhibit, and sell creative products.
Fully interactive and accessible to the public, the Creative Hub will build awareness, appreciation, and markets for Manitoba’s creative talent and products. The Creative Hub includes three integrated and complementary components:

InCP93s.jpg

pkR6IJH.jpg

zL9JQFd.jpg

KZjIEEG.jpg

drCOEfy.jpg

G5LbrUN.jpg

2Oy3pQd.jpg

WLpQS2X.jpg

yxQ8MJS.jpg

B5LPQO2.jpg

a4KDWZI.jpg

Source: MARKET LANDS PROJECT VISION • JUNE 2019.PDF

433 Main - Tower conversion to residential and re-clad (top 10 storeys into 94 residential units)

EXTERIOR.jpg

EXTERIOR3.jpg

images from atlrg.ca

James Ave Pumphouse Re-development

new build on waterfront is almost complete (the building on the right in the photo below)

06-PUMPHOUSE-ELEVATION1.jpg

from 5468796.ca

there was a 3 storey development planned for the triangle lot at 90/98 Albert (former Bodegoes), but it has been cancelled.

Alston Properties has updated their site and the final phase of the Pumphouse development is now expected to be complete in Spring 2022 rather than Spring 2021.

Back