Yep, their intent was to mix bikes and pedestrians but the bikes like to go very fast and the bike path looks pretty much the same as the rest of the sidewalk so pedestrians wander into it.

Another problem is the fact that car, transit and bike signals all look basically the same. They did an excellent job with paving etc. but the indicators for various modes of transit are lacking.

Yup - and the best part is this landscape treatment will be extended all the way to Parliament Street. That section is already partially complete as part of the East Bayfront Development - the trees have already been planted and it should be considerably more mature by the time that section opens.
That's great news. Walking from Yonge to Parliament on a lush, unobstructed, finely stone-paved waterfront trail will be amazing.

Waterfront Toronto is the best thing that has ever happened to Toronto. It's amazing what can be done when 3 levels of government actually work together. The St. Lawrence neighbourhood is the other example of a tripartite agreement producing amazing results.

Both show that there is definitely a need for the Federal government to play a bigger role in city building and funding municipal projects. Less direct subsidies to big business, more indirect subsidies in the form of infrastructure please!
Yep, I couldn't have said it better myself. Personally, I was immensely proud when I was down there for the first time this past weekend. It's a true achievement, and I think WT has been nothing short of exemplary in its execution.

I know--there are allegations of chicanery. And I don't know much about that stuff. But judging from the final product, it's beautiful.

And the number of people down there. It was buzzing. This will completely change the economic landscape of that area.

Given how popular the space is becoming I think DMW is going to have to tread very lightly when making spending complaints if he doesn't want to become a complete laughing stock (to more people than he already is). It says a lot that the only thing people have to complain about is a few traffic violations. As a resident of the area the years of construction chaos were all worth it. I hope funding comes through for the rest of the project.

That's great news. Walking from Yonge to Parliament on a lush, unobstructed, finely stone-paved waterfront trail will be amazing.
Though I hope the trees they are planting at the moment on the south side of QQE will survive, I must say that planting trees in July is really not a good idea. Of course the Martin Gardiner east of Lower Sherbourne is STILL not finished and the whole trail from Yonge eastwards needs a centre line!

I wrote into Waterfront Toronto with some of the my observations from the first couple weeks, and a few suggestions. They got back to me with a rather detailed answer. I was impressed at the responsiveness.

I couldnt get my camera out fast enough - but I just witness a SUV making a illegal left out of 390 qq.. taking the streetcar tracks for 2 seconds before driving down the MGT, with a cyclist having to do a emergency maneuver to not get run over..

I couldnt get my camera out fast enough - but I just witness a SUV making a illegal left out of 390 qq.. taking the streetcar tracks for 2 seconds before driving down the MGT, with a cyclist having to do a emergency maneuver to not get run over..
Wait until winter when the surface differences and markings are hidden by snow and winter grime.

It's so the emergency services can do this:

Wow now thats how you drive, ok maybe a bit more dangerous but sometimes I see emergency vehicles take WAY too long to clear red lights, I assume it is simply that they are not confident drivers despite being emergency personnel.

Though I hope the trees they are planting at the moment on the south side of QQE will survive, I must say that planting trees in July is really not a good idea.

I agree July is not an ideal time to plant trees but I assume they want them in for the Pan Am Games and they at least seem to be using gator bags to water the trees a little more effectively, hopefully helping them survive.

sometimes I see emergency vehicles take WAY too long to clear red lights, I assume it is simply that they are not confident drivers despite being emergency personnel.
It's more likely because cars don't get out of their way, pedestrians cross blithely in front of speeding, screaming fire trucks -- you know, little annoyances like that.

I don't think fire trucks are allowed to just blow through red lights. They have to slow down at intersections and make sure the way is clear. Otherwise, they can be held liable in the event of an accident.

I don't think fire trucks are allowed to just blow through red lights. They have to slow down at intersections and make sure the way is clear. Otherwise, they can be held liable in the event of an accident.

They're also not allowed to just zoom through on a green either.

I would have to say on a purely anecdotal basis that the conflicts on the road and MGT/walkway are becoming less frequent and, accordingly, so are the complaints.

Perhaps this would be less of an issue if we didn't send firefighters and their big truck to every paramedic/health emergency call.

Or if we must send firefighters to every medical call, then let's have smaller fire trucks downtown (exception if needed for the ladder truck). Here are fire trucks from Paris:

26712.jpg

9988.jpg

Instead of ....

Toronto-Fire-Pumper-1024x679.jpg

NEW-2013Toronto-2.jpg

Back