News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Hang on, since when are we only comparing to other Canadian Olympics? And if we're doing that, we should only compare summer Games to summer Games and so on, since it's widely acknowledged that the two are different. E.g. the winter Games are smaller and largely take place outside of cities because that's where the mountains are, etc.

Why shouldn't we? Scale is irrelevant when you make bold claims about neighbourhood destruction. Do you seriously expect one to compare us to say China or Brazil and not be challenged on that claim? The village in the case of Vancouver is smack in the middle of the city even, so are a significant numbers of venues. It created a new neighbourhood and didn't destroy any.

Anyway, the book Five Ring Circus gets into what happened with land clearances in the Vancouver games. There was an issue with habitat destruction for an eagle species due to Olympic construction, for one example.

It was for a highway expansion (one that would have happened regardless), not neighbourhood destruction. Stop the moving goalposts please.

Anyway 2, as I've said repeatedly, the host city contract supersedes the laws that normally cover the jurisdiction. That's what is meant by that term I keep using "state of exception". So it's kind of irrelevant what would normally happen in Canada if you wanted to raze a neighbourhood, just like it was irrelevant in London. That's why London is a scary example - it has similar property laws to ours (we basically got ours from the UK to begin with) and yet they didn't stop people from losing their homes and businesses.

There is nothing scary - the government always have the powers of expropriation. Let's not pretend that we couldn't have expropriated and razed if the need arise in other contexts. The question is whether such a blunt instrument will be used in the Olympic context in Canada - and so far the answer is categorically no, and you haven't put forth any convincing examples to the contrary other than playing upon fears.

AoD

Last edited:
Scale is relevant when you are talking about land required for venues, and summer v. winter is relevant when the sports happen outside the city or inside it. And you can't cherry-pick to only Canadian examples at one time and then throw it open to international examples at others when you are assessing a GLOBAL event. People here love to cite Barcelona as an example of a successful Olympics, despite it being in a different country, culture, legal framework and being over 20 years ago. (Neighbourhoods were razed in Barcelona too.)

I just cited a whole book about Vancouver 2010, which you could read to inform yourself about these issues. I'm pretty sure TPL has a copy. The habitat destruction - btw, a habitat IS a neighbourhood for the species that live there - is just the example I could remember off the top of my head for those specific games.

Seeing as the Olympics have very definitely been used to circumvent the usual expropriation process, even in a functioning democracy with similar property laws to our own very recently, why wouldn't that happen here? The Olympics never just make do with whatever vacant land happens to be available at the time. Why would an exception suddenly be made for Toronto? Especially when the legal framework enables a fast-track to expropriation? Does it make sense that they would give themselves that power and then just... not use it?

It's really very weird that people think Toronto will somehow - no one ever says exactly how - avoid the problems that have plagued past host cities.

I've provided links to back up everything I've said on this thread. You could easily verify all of this for yourself.

Last edited:
I just linked to a whole book about Vancouver 2010, which you could read to inform yourself about these issues. I'm pretty sure TPL has a copy. The habitat destruction - btw, a habitat IS a neighbourhood for the species that live there - is just the example I could remember off the top of my head for those specific games.

It's really very weird that people think Toronto will somehow - no one ever says exactly how - avoid the problems that have plagued past host cities.

I've provided links to back up everything I've said on this thread. You could easily verify all of this for yourself.

FWIW, you're not helping. Squamish and eagles' nests is not the same as slum-clearing. Whingeing about the Canada Line we already have with every transit project ever done in Toronto -- I'd call us gold medalists already on the 'dumb transit complaining' podium.

AoD, I'm more than happy to cede the fact that, assuming they put the Olympic Grounds in the Portlands, not much in the way of current housing would be affected. I'm not willing to concede that an Olympic stadium, with the 400m track necessary, will be anything but a $1bn dollar (or pick your own figure from $500mn up) boondoggle in Canada. It will be a little used blot on the waterfront from the day it's built.

The fun part of that is the 'fierce patriotic pride' we'll get from building a boondoggle. Really? I'm already pretty darn proud of being Canadian and from Toronto. I don't really need two weeks of athletics to celebrate that.

Like they did in London, Rio, Sochi, Barcelona. Oh, and ancient forest in Pyeongchang. But that's only a forest so who cares, right?

What about all the other Olympics where this didn't happen?

Why is it obnoxious to post about the negative aspects of the Olympics? It seems like something we should be looking at very carefully if we are seriously thinking of bringing them here.

You are obnoxious because you are twisting facts and saying the same thing over and over again without offering any real evidence other than "well it happened in China so it will happen here". If that's what you want to believe then you need to prove it. I'm not disputing that bad things have happened elsewhere, but prove to me that neighbourhoods will be razed in Toronto then I will take you seriously. Otherwise why don't you just wait for more details to come out over the next couple of years instead of jumping to extreme conclusions.

You should look at diminutive and Riverdale Rink Rat to see what proper discourse looks like. Their arguments are far more credible, rational and convincing than anything you ever said.

Last edited:
That's a bit trite. Everybody here cares about "a better urban Toronto."

Not necessarily. Case in point:

Let me put it this way: I'd rather have billions 'wasted' on Toronto and the GTA than billions wasted in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal or Quebec City.

I'd rather see Edmonton and Montreal get proper transit infrastructure than flush money down the toilet so no one else can get it.

I'd say that some are biased towards prioritizing Toronto on this issue, I'd say others aren't. Fair enough?

Given that academic voices consistently find no positive impact from the games despite huge costs, you could at least work from the premise that Olympic opponents do have an interest in "a better urban Toronto."

Actually, anybody who remains open-minded on this issue and who genuinely has an interest in 'a better urban Toronto' will acknowledge that there is a lack of 'academic' consensus regarding the net returns of an olympics, that it varies greatly from host city to host city, that there are numerous intangibles and peripherals to factor in, and that different host cities set out with differing priorities, i.e. those of Beijing were about presenting propaganda to the world while those of Barcelona were about urban revitalization, and so on. It's never 100% about the games. You simply can't judge the 'impact' of a games without looking at all of a host city's objectives.

Don't you find it a tad suspicious that so many cities that haven't hosted the games within our lifetime (NYC, Vienna, Osaka, Hong Kong, Singapore, Melbourne, Madrid, Hamburg, Berlin, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Chicago, SanFran ect...) are every bit as nice as host cities? Do you really think that Athens, Sydney, Beijing, London, Atlanta, Seoul and Barcelona have some kind of leg up on the rest of the world?

This really is a trite point, and it is further undermined by the fact that many of the so-called 'nice' cities you cite have already hosted the games, have bid for them or are bidding for them. It isn't suspicious that cities vie for something that is desirable to have! Let's keep the discussion here to facts and not to paranoid conspiracy theories.

1. Hosting the Olympic games results in a marginal boost in infrastructure funding that would not have occured otherwise. This assumption is just not supported by the world. Non-host cities don't have worse infrastructure than host cities (e.g. Madrid vs. Barcelona, Toronto vs. Montreal, Tokyo vs. Osaka, Munich vs. Berlin, Beijing vs. Shanghai, Sydney vs. Melbourne ect..). In the decade in which Toronto was supposed to host the 2008 Games we underwent the biggest infrastructure spending boom in North America. Really, other than the fact that some infrastructure is almost tied into the games, what proof do you have that the Olympics results in infrastructure funding that wouldn't otherwise occur?
Are you really trying to demonstrate that the games offer no infrastructure boost by comparing a random non-host city to a random host city? Do you understand why this doesn't work? You need to compare a a host city before its games to the same host city after the games... Let me correct this for you though, "Hosting the Olympic games results in a ***substantial, committed and time-lined** boost in infrastructure funding that would not have occurred otherwise.

1. Assuming there is a positive increase in funding due to the Olympics, that increase is substantial: Really, how much do you expect we could incrementally juice out of the Olympics? The OLP has pledged nearly 50billion dollars to transport infrastructure in the next decade. Sure, politicians promise lots, but in light of the tens of billions that have already been spent in the GTA and these promises it simply isn't credible to believe that any marginal Olympic induced funding boost will be super substantial. Vancouver got, maybe, 3 billion gross, very little of which was probably marginally induced by the Olympics. Frankly, in the context of existing and planned funding commitments, we're talking about a very small bump.
I'll take committed and earmarked dollars with a firm timeline over politically-motivated promises any day. How many 'transit visions and studies' have been promised and squandered in Toronto now? I've lost count. Besides, much that has been completed in Toronto over the past 7 to 10 years is the direct or indirect result of the failed 2008 olympic bid and successful panam bid of 2009. What we have to show for it now was fast-tracked by being committed to, funded and deadlined... successfully. Let me correct this one for you too, "Acknowledging there is a positive increase in funding due to the Olympics, how much do you expect we could incrementally juice out of the Olympics? Now I think this is a fair question.

1. The Olympics will cause induced funds to be spent in the most efficient means: Lots of people like complaining about how politicians are awful at planning transit, yet seem fine having the same politicians planning long term transit around a two week event. There's nothing even close to a guarantee that the Olympics would lead to a DRL. None, at all. Even if there was, it's incredible to believe that planning the DRL around the Olympics is a good idea. Look at where the Olympic venues have historically been proposed: Portlands, Skydome, Exhibition. That's a DRL along Lakeshore, not necessarily Queen or King where it would make more sense. Transit investment won't somehow become more rational due to the Olympics.
I'll give you this one (with some exceptions). It may cause some wasteful spending to host an olympics, nay it will cause some wasteful spending. There is no benefit without a cost. As I mentioned in my earlier post we have to weight some of these negative or wasteful costs to the positive benefits. This is what all cities do. As for the transit file, however, we must be able to move people efficiently and effectively throughout the city and the region during the games. You cannot do this by making bad transit choices. In fact, if anything the olympics would ensure that we will get the transit we need and not the politically vulnerable or politically-motivated subway-to-a-field options we've been subjected to. Case in point: the panams delivered on the Union/Pearson link. It may be priced too high and not used efficiently yet, but it is in place now and not the dream it would have continued to be without the panams.

Last edited:
The displaced London neighbourhoods were not slums. But is it OK to clear slums for the Olympics, does that make it better? Apparently it's OK to destroy habitat, it's not like there is a mass extinction event going on or anything.

Of course events that happen outside of cities tend not to displace whole neighbourhoods. When the Olympic events happen inside the cities, neighbourhoods are always displaced. Are the Toronto Olympics going to take place outside of Toronto?

The displaced London neighbourhoods were not slums. But is it OK to clear slums for the Olympics, does that make it better? Apparently it's OK to destroy habitat, it's not like there is a mass extinction event going on or anything.

Of course events that happen outside of cities tend not to displace whole neighbourhoods. When the Olympic events happen inside the cities, neighbourhoods are always displaced. Are the Toronto Olympics going to take place outside of Toronto?
It's OK to displace slums when you are building a futuristic city hall, no?

Gotta agree that I'm losing the plot on this whole levelled neighbourhoods thread - the Pan Am games didn't and there is still a lot of industrial brownfield space available. Which specific Toronto neighbourhoods did you have in mind?

Most people who are against the games in a city like Toronto have only a token understanding of the costs and factors involved. As someone who is quite fiscally conservative and has also researched this topic to death (spent years on the various Olympic forums among other things) I can state categorically they would be a surefire gamechanger for this city's longterm tourism, culture, sense of identity, swagger, infrastructure, public realm (short-term tourism may have only moderate effects) and would really put us on the map for a cost that can be managed comfortably if we play it smart. Even without Agenda 2020 we could still keep the Games staging costs including infrastructure costs to significantly less than $10 billion (including federal/provincial contributions). The cost to bid can be completely covered by sponsors so that in itself should not even be an issue.

I'd say that some are biased towards prioritizing Toronto on this issue, I'd say others aren't. Fair enough?

You're assuming "prioritizing Toronto" necessarily means accepting large amounts of waste to get some indirect benefits. Many people clearly don't accept that view at all. Some people think that the benefits aren't worth the waste. It's a jump of logic to extend from that that they don't prioritize Toronto.

Actually, anybody who remains open-minded on this issue and who genuinely has an interest in 'a better urban Toronto' will acknowledge that there is a lack of 'academic' consensus regarding the net returns of an olympics, that it varies greatly from host city to host city, that there are numerous intangibles and peripherals to factor in, and that different host cities set out with differing priorities, i.e. those of Beijing were about presenting propaganda to the world while those of Barcelona were about urban revitalization, and so on. It's never 100% about the games. You simply can't judge the 'impact' of a games without looking at all of a host city's objectives.

No. Academic consensus has long been that mega sporting events are highly unlikely to yield net benefits to hosts. It doesn't matter whether you're talking about World Cup, Olympics, Superbowl or just general sports team franchises (who here actually thinks the Skydome has been a net boon to the City?).

Here is a quote from the National Bureau of Economic Research: "More rigorous studies are skeptical of the net economic benefits of hosting mega-events; see e.g., Baade and Matheson (2002) and Owen (2005). The costs of holding such events seem con- siderable. Further, any enduring benefits derive mostly from infrastructure investments that the host city could choose to make independently of the games. Much of the spending on the event by local citizens is a substitute from a different leisure activity or consumption good, rather than true additional spending [e.g., Siegfried and Zimbalist (2000) and Coates and Humphreys (2003)]. Moreover, the projects associated with the games typically seem to be white elephants, such as poorly-used sporting facilities associated with idiosyncratic Olympic sports, or hotels and trans- portation infrastructure built to accommodate a one-time peak demand of just three weeks.
Some have argued that hosting sporting events yields a non-pecuniary “feel good” benefit to local citizens who are filled with civic pride following a mega-event, even if they do not attend [e.g. Rappaport and Wilkerson (2001), Carlino and Coulson (2004), or Maennig and du Plessis (2007)]. However, the very existence of this intangible spillover is uncertain, let alone its magnitude. It seems safe to say that a majority of the profession considers it unlikely that these benefits justify the large public expenditures involved in hosting such events [e.g. Coates, Humphreys, and Zimbalist (2006) and Coates (2007)]. "

This question has actually been studied lots and the results are consistently negative. While that particular paper did find some positive trade outcomes, it found that they were a product of host-city signalling and even extended to failed bid cities. In the spirit of evidenced based planning, I will defer to the actual academics over you.

This really is a trite point, and it is further undermined by the fact that many of the so-called 'nice' cities you cite have already hosted the games, have bid for them or are bidding for them. It isn't suspicious that cities vie for something that is desirable to have! Let's keep the discussion here to facts and not to paranoid conspiracy theories.

First, I picked a random sampling of universally recognized global cities. It's a bizare to use scare quotes and a needless "so-called." Second, I clearly limited my selected cities that hadn't hosted "within our lifetimes," which is true unless you were around for Berlin 1936, in which case please enlighten me how the positive effects of the games survived WW2. Third, so what if the cities I listed had bid for the games? That similarity between failed bid cities and host cities shows Olympic supporters confuse cause and effect. Rich, successful cities vie to host the Olympics because only they can afford to, as opposed to the Olympics making cities rich and successful.

Are you really trying to demonstrate that the games offer no infrastructure boost by comparing a random non-host city to a random host city? Do you understand why this doesn't work? You need to compare a a host city before its games to the same host city after the games... Let me correct this for you though, "Hosting the Olympic games results in a ***substantial, committed and time-lined** boost in infrastructure funding that would not have occurred otherwise.

You didn't provide any actual evidence to support your assumption.

Longitudinally, there's no Olympic boom evidence. This can be seen in both host and non host cities. Host cities repackage projects to serve the Olympics. In Van, the Canada Line began planning in the early 90s and the Federal funding commitment came two years before the city was awarded the 2010 games. This makes sense; why would politically unfeasible transit projects suddenly become feasible when wrapped in the Olympics? Likewise, in a failed host city like Toronto, the bid was followed by a decade of unprecedented transit investment

Latitudinally, if there was an observable and durable "Olympic infrastructure boom," we would expect host cities to have observably better infrastructure than non-host cities. In that context, we can easily compare host cities to similar cities in the same country and clearly see that no boom exists. Montreal, Vancouver nor Calgary saw a boom vs. Toronto in any of those time periods, Sydney didn't compared to Melbourne, Beijing didn't relative to Shanghai, Barcelona clearly didn't relative to Madrid and so on. The entire "Olympic infrastructure boom" argument is that the Olympics somehow induces senior levels of government to spend more on host cities than they would otherwise, but in fact host and non-host cities in the same country never have observably different outcomes in terms of infrastructure.

Simply showing that some infrastructure projects coincide with the Olympics is nowhere near sufficient to show that the Olympics induce funding that wouldn't have materialized. It's identical to Homer Simpson's Bear Patrol logic.

I'll take committed and earmarked dollars with a firm timeline over politically-motivated promises any day. How many 'transit visions and studies' have been promised and squandered in Toronto now? I've lost count. ...

Well I'll be the last to ever defend transit planning in this City, but despite lots of false starts we have spent around 12-13 billion dollars on transit infrastructure in Toronto in the past decade. Moreover, the vast majority of that had nothing to do with either PanAm or 2008, save for maybe UPx (which, tellingly, was probably the least salient to our actual transit problems). The big spends in Toronto came with the ECLRT, TYSSE and rehabilitation of the streetcar and subway network, none of which have any causal link to any sort of sports event.

I'd look foolish to stand here and predict with certainty that EVERY SINGLE PENNY the OLP has promised will be spent, but I think we're being overly jaded in pretending that senior levels of government are so stingy with Toronto. The record clearly shows that the best way to make it a political issue. That's how stuff gets funded, not by tying it to some silly sports event.

I'll give you this one (with some exceptions). It may cause some wasteful spending to host an olympics, nay it will cause some wasteful spending. There is no benefit without a cost. As I mentioned in my earlier post we have to weight some of these negative or wasteful costs to the positive benefits. This is what all cities do. ... It may be priced too high and not used efficiently yet, but it is in place now and not the dream it would have continued to be without the panams.

That's not good logic. You're just assuming that because something should be done, it will be done. That's just clearly not how government works, as we all acknowledge.

Moreover, even the Olympic's biggest proponents would argue that the games guarantee "moving people efficiently and effectively throughout the City and the region." In literally no host city has the Olympics ever caused a regionally significant improvement in transit. Ever. Period. More common are temporary transit measures like the Olympic Lanes in Sydney and London or even our PanAm lanes.

It's not even like the Olympics are such huge transit problems. For our 2008 bid, 85% of athletes (and an even higher percent of spectators) were expected to compete in the Waterfront venues near the Athlete Village. The induced transit impact in usually isn't very significant compared to the millions of daily rush hour commuters most cities deal with. There are some local transit issues around specific venues, but the overall regional travel demand impacts aren't typically huge.

Most people who are against the games in a city like Toronto have only a token understanding of the costs and factors involved. As someone who is quite fiscally conservative and has also researched this topic to death (spent years on the various Olympic forums among other things) I can state categorically they would be a surefire gamechanger for this city's longterm tourism, culture, sense of identity, swagger, infrastructure, public realm (short-term tourism may have only moderate effects) and would really put us on the map for a cost that can be managed comfortably if we play it smart. Even without Agenda 2020 we could still keep the Games staging costs including infrastructure costs to significantly less than $10 billion (including federal/provincial contributions). The cost to bid can be completely covered by sponsors so that in itself should not even be an issue.

Well, if the Olympic forums are saying that...

Agreed it isn't a left or right issue. But people want to make every issue a left right issue.

It's kind of a right left issue, there just appears to be a bimodal distribution of opposition to the Olympics. My casual observation is that opposition is pretty strong on the right wing (Rob Ford, rah rah taxpayer money) and the left wing (Bread Not Circuses, the Paris Green Party opposes their bid ect...).

Support on the other hand seems to be a bit more nebulous in a right-left sense. My perception is that it tends to be strongest amongst people who view themselves as 'non-ideological' or "centrist." They seem to be able to separate the Olympics from a larger left-right political program and view it in isolation as an expression of municipal greatness.

Most people who are against the games in a city like Toronto have only a token understanding of the costs and factors involved.
Yeah - that's demonstrably false. In January support for the Boston Olympics was at 51% (this was when they were selected by USOC). Two months later as the public educated themselves on what they were getting into the approval rating tanked to 36%. In Oslo the population went from voting 55% in favour in a referendum to 36% in favour in under a year - the drop fuelled largely by public revulsion at the costs and excesses of hosting. The more the public learns the less they like the idea.

As someone who is quite fiscally conservative and has also researched this topic to death (spent years on the various Olympic forums among other things)
The plural of anecdote is not data.

I can state categorically they would be a surefire gamechanger for this city's longterm tourism, culture, sense of identity, swagger, infrastructure, public realm (short-term tourism may have only moderate effects) and would really put us on the map
As noted above, repeated studies have shown zero evidence to back up your claim that Olympics have a long-term positive impact on tourism. The newfound "sense of identity" in Vancouver certainly didn't stop them from trashing the city in the Stanley Cup riot a year later. In London the UK government found that the number of people playing sports at least once a week actually dropped in the year after the 2012 Games.

for a cost that can be managed comfortably if we play it smart.
For this to be true we would need to manage the games better than any host country in the last 20 years. Most Olympics go on to cost multiples of their original budgets.

Even without Agenda 2020 we could still keep the Games staging costs including infrastructure costs to significantly less than $10 billion (including federal/provincial contributions).
That number is quite frankly impossible. London spent CAD $6B on staging costs ($2B on security alone) and somewhere north of $20B (the official number) all in. What evidence is there that Toronto can do it 50% cheaper than London, 12 years later?

The cost to bid can be completely covered by sponsors so that in itself should not even be an issue.
Then why did the city vote not to fund it?

Lol. Stop replying to this guy. He's never going to concede, just make up more shit to support his argument.
Maybe we should put the stadium and olympic village in the middle of Rouge Park. The zoo could be turned into a BMX course and the rivers paved over for an LRT.

Maybe we should put the stadium and olympic village in the middle of Rouge Park. The zoo could be turned into a BMX course and the rivers paved over for an LRT.

Let's get real here, in the case of the Sea-to-Sky highway we're talking about public works around an existing route - which btw, seem to have seen safety improvements post-construction:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...es-drop-in-deadly-collisions/article22304930/

It's something the government would have undertaken on its' own, so let's not be facetious as if we're talking about wholesale destruction of habitat just for the sake of the games.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=a8c659b4-a054-4ece-a231-fe18d8518918

It's another example of successive governments humming and haaaing over a project for decades until they finally had to commit to a firm deadline because of the games.

AoD

Last edited:

Back