News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is he suddently Anglican? Doug Sr's service was United and in Etobicoke, Rob was married in a Catholic church (assume Renata is Catholic). Gosh I'm wondering if the Rector had to bite his tongue when he got that phone call.

Exactly - this is totally strange.

AoD

Wouldn't an "adult" have had to sign a release for this? Like as in parent or guardian? Who thought this was okay and how does it help them plead for us to respect their privacy? This is brutal stuff from a clan of shameless circus clowns.

They really have Jenny Yuen on muckraking duty - yesterday photos of the family leaving the hospital and now this.

I went to Centennial College with her, one of the few in my class to actually become a journalist.

Obviously other issues contribute to poverty (losing one's job, mental illness, death of a spouse/family member, physical health issues, etc.), but many people who are destitute are in that situation because they aren't educated, have children without committing to marriage, live beyond their means and show poor judgement.

I just hate the notion that it is the government that needs to do more. It is imperative to have strongly bound families to be there for each other in times of difficulty.

Marriage does fuck all to stop poverty.

Marriage does fuck all to stop poverty.
I bet many -- if not most -- of those Rexdalians that are being discussed are single moms with children. Marriage isn't an antidote to poverty, but it sure helps to have two parents with two incomes.

Come on, it is completely normal for St. James to be used for a large public funeral. Let's not get carried away.

Sure, but usually one's faith must correspond and the Anglicans used to be just as much sticklers as the Catholics on this one. Then again, my experience has been with marriages vs. burials. Metropolitan United is pretty large, but then, it's very progressive re LGBT (which I'm sure has nothing to do with the choice). St. James definitely more WASPish

Come on, it is completely normal for St. James to be used for a large public funeral. Let's not get carried away.

I worry they are going to regret not booking a smaller venue.

BldqrSbCIAA49ns.jpg

Conventional wisdom among political operatives is that you always hire a modest-sized space for events like this. It looks fuller that way and you don’t risk showing empty seats on TV. Olivia Chow’s launch was in a church, John Tory’s in a downtown community hall.

That’s not how the Fords roll. They got the Toronto Congress Centre, a vast barn on Dixon Road with polished-concrete floors and cinderblock walls that looks big enough to host a monster-truck rally. They filled maybe half of the 290 tables of 10 seats each.

Yes, they are there, up at the front.............

From Canadian Content. April 18, 2014.

Attachments

• BldqrSbCIAA49ns.jpg
    BldqrSbCIAA49ns.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 495
It's not sitting well with me that Ford will lie in repose in city hall. My letter to the Mayor (FWIW):

I am writing you today to express my displeasure that the city is allowing Rob Ford's body to lie in repose in City Hall.

Rob Ford was an unrepentant racist, sexist and homophobe who abused his wife, habitually drove drunk, allowed his office to be associated with violent criminals, and repeatedly humiliated the city on the international stage.

His contempt for good governance, civility, and consensus was often in full display in the very rotunda he is to be honoured in.

I'm appalled that the city would bestow an honour of this kind to someone who so obviously despised many of the citizens of this city.

It's not sitting well with me that Ford will lie in repose in city hall. My letter to the Mayor (FWIW):

I am writing you today to express my displeasure that the city is allowing Rob Ford's body to lie in repose in City Hall.

Rob Ford was an unrepentant racist, sexist and homophobe who abused his wife, habitually drove drunk, allowed his office to be associated with violent criminals, and repeatedly humiliated the city on the international stage.

His contempt for good governance, civility, and consensus was often in full display in the very rotunda he is to be honoured in.

I'm appalled that the city would bestow an honour of this kind to someone who so obviously despised many of the citizens of this city.

I'm doing the same in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back