News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Increasing options can only improve traffic overall, giving people more options to choose from when planning an optimal route. This may increase local congestion in places, but should be an improvement overall.

Sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing this open. I think it's (argueably) the most important connection from downtown to the waterfront. I'd still like to see a streetcar go along Queen's Quay, up Simcoe, west on Queen and north on McCaul to College though. It'll be neat to see pedestrian and vehicle traffic with train traffic above that and then more pedestrian traffic yet above that.

Can you imagine when towers start going up at "Bremmer & Simcoe"....

Throw in the trains, cars, bikes and pedestrians and a place that was wasteland up until yesterday becomes urban hustle and bustle.

Can you imagine when towers start going up at "Bremmer & Simcoe"....

That will be awesome once they tear down Infinity (at least just the low-rise). I doubt anything will be built on the west side of Simcoe, unless a redevelopment of MTCC South. NE corner has huge potential, completing the 18 York-151 Front triangle.

That last image shows a nice hierarchy of how we should look at transportation in the city. Pedestrian friendly first, mass transit next, and finally motor vehicle at the bottom of the totem pole. I'm not sure if they plan to but hopefully in the spring that section of the Skywalk gets a good scrub down and maybe some underlighting.

This is the exact type of road improvement that I am in favour of, as it makes better use of the existing road network by adding short little links.

Since I started heading down to this part of the city on a regular basis, there has been one traffic experiment that I would be interested to try. A significant component to congestion is caused by merging traffic at onramps, and weaving cars. Why not see what would happen if the westbound Gardiner was reduced to one lane wide west of Jarvis, two lanes wide west of York, with a return to three lanes wide west of Spadina. The westbound offramp at Spadina would be closed to prevent weaving of cars west of York.

If that is done, it would mean that rather than merging with an already congested highway, cars entering the westbound Gardiner at both York and Spadina would get their own lane. A question that would have to be answered though is how much congestion would result by reducing the number of lanes from three down to one or two between Jarvis and Spadina.

December 29th 2007

2147201681_3ed5e0d014_o.jpg

2147996372_bf25cb48ba_o.jpg

2147201809_56624ef1c9_o.jpg

2147996490_f772565392_o.jpg

2147202023_f7bf6ee4a7_o.jpg

2147202077_3eb17b0a67_o.jpg

Thanks for the update. Looks like it should (hopefully) be ready by the summer. It would make a much more pleasant bike route to get down to Harbourfront than York or Bay (I've used Bay and Yonge).

^ Agreed. Using either Yonge or Bay can be a scary event on a bicycle. Simcoe should be a much more pleasant router.

Back