News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Interesting that they had originally planned a pedestrian corridor to continue 8th. If they get around to doing that, I hope they make it an at grade corridor. Not sure how easy that would be, but IMO would make or break it as a corridor.

Too bad they didn't go with the larger glass ceilings in the rendering.

They can't keep the 8th ave connection at grade unless they did massive renovations as the floor of the building and it's supporting structure are about a half storey up. The plaza is the easy part to fix, the back side is a different storey. My biggest concern is that the transients and vagrants that love the current libraruy will all move to 3st as there will be less traffic there, so the city should really try to do something on the 3st side of the municipal building. Not sure if they can create retail spaces on the back side, it looks like it may have been designed to accommodate, but there are likely offices or service spaces there.

If anyone is ever walking between Arts Commons and the Municipal Building, they have some old renders of some of the proposals for the building on the walls, right by where the parking cashier used to be. They definitely did not choose the best design IMO.

If anyone is ever walking between Arts Commons and the Municipal Building, they have some old renders of some of the proposals for the building on the walls, right by where the parking cashier used to be. They definitely did not choose the best design IMO.
Capture8.PNG

from: http://www.ccc.umontreal.ca/fiche_concours.php?lang=en&cId=4

Attachments

• Capture8.PNG
    Capture8.PNG
    514.8 KB · Views: 562

I still think I like the good old blue-cheese wedge the best, but it definitely needs to be modernized. I'm, willing to bet that the same would now be said for the other designs by now as well. I wonder if the elevated plaza hasn't taken away from it's use as a public space though. It's hard to tell which of these designs would have been the most open. Maybe 3 or 4? But then I find those buildings the least appealing overall.

We really need that 24H pedestrian mall. Especially now that there's good reason to be east of City Hall. I wonder how much the East Village's original downfall can be attributed to having been blocked off by City Hall?

Keep in mind, this will be a space for vagrants to hang out and piss all over the place. Anything in this area needs to be open and well lit without any dark spaces or alcoves.
Security would have to be routinely involved in the space. I'm assuming existing City Hall security would cover that area, and have to be mindful of it.

Keep in mind, this will be a space for vagrants to hang out and piss all over the place. Anything in this area needs to be open and well lit without any dark spaces or alcoves.

It works in Amsterdam. It'll work in Calgary. As always, there would be security to remove loiterers and drunks (of all walks of life) relieving themselves.

Back