News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Macy’s - and all other American retailers - see Canada as a "blue collar" market. That’s why you don’t see many higher end retailers vying for space up here. Even JC Penny took a pass a few years ago when they could have purchased Zeller's. Even Target has little appetite. Face it, other than Walmart and Zellers, what other department stores are there up here in the great white north? Face it, Canadians love their discount stores. In the U.S. you have dozens of retailers to choose from. Aside from a couple of locations in the GTA, Canada is not a hot target for retailers - especially high end retailers like Macy’s

Not true at all. US and European retailers are clamoring to enter Canada. Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto/GTA represent very lucrative untapped markets for large international retailers. Abercrombie & Fitch, Apple, H&M, Aeropostale, Mango, Zara, Pottery Barn are among many other examples of recent imports and there are many more to come. Target would also love to set up shop here but there are all sorts of complicated licensing issues involving many of the brands and labels Target carries to resolve first.

As for Macy's, they are doing very well in the US right now. They have bought several large department store chains including Marshall Fields, and they are are growing as a better, yet still reasonable alternative to the big box stores like Target.

As already mentioned Macy's is laying off hundreds and closing many stores in light of declining sales at those stores. I do not think they are in any rush to enter this tough department store market.

And this space is way, way too small for a department store. I am not sure its even big enough for a Crate and Barrel (who is actively searching for a big enough location downtown). I think the space is smaller than the H&M at Eaton Centre.

Apple would be a great fit for 1BE

Thanks for that adma,

An article that is both interesting and very concerning.

Has anybody been by the site recently? Anyone with a camera care to snap a few shots for us to show if any progress has been made on the site? :)

Has anybody been by the site recently? Anyone with a camera care to snap a few shots for us to show if any progress has been made on the site? :)

I stare at the site every day from my window... and there's been zero action. Although a few more of the stores have moved out, most notably Ritz Carribean Food, which I'll miss for their delicious chicken roti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back