News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

In my Now picture, if you go down the corridor in the centre distance and turn right there is a very cheerful lady that runs a coffee stand. They do their own baking at 12:30am most mornings [ovens in the back] and the whole station smells of baking. The coffee is good considering it comes out of those warming urns. But as adma says; it's 'subway eating'.

Would that be Treats?

Actually, it's interesting that that back part of Eglinton presently has *three* coffee-oriented chain outlets, though each of them are chains which had their heyday pre-Y2K (Treats, Second Cup, Great Canadian Bagel Co).

Speaking of which: are there any paid-zone Tim Hortons other than Finch?

IMG_7914.JPG

still hanging in there......

Attachments

• IMG_7914.JPG
    IMG_7914.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,392
View attachment 131567

still hanging in there......

She's been 'hanging' all over the Yonge and Eglinton area since my childhood. She moves like a Dowager with a purpose. Early 60s: Yonge and Castlefield NW corner. 70s: Eglinton TTC station. 80s: Yonge and Erskine SE corner. 90s to the present day: here at the Yonge Eglinton Centre. What can be more wonderful in this day and age than pointing to something behind glass and asking the clerk: "I'll have 4 of those and 6 of these"?

Other Yonge Eg nabe nonsense:

A few doors south of Yonge and Erskine on the east side of Yonge was Peter Oliver's first food business - a bakery. He'd been inspired by the very busy neighbourhood institution 'Little Pie Shop' at Yonge and Briar Hill a few blocks north. This was 1978 or so when he opened his place. It didn't last long. I guess it didn't make money for him but I had no criticisms of the place as a bakery. I can still picture the thank you-and-goodbye note in the window.

The Little Pie Shops location is now occupied by The Little Party Shop. It's owned by the daughter of Mrs. Keurble, who owned the Little Pie Shop. Mrs. Keurble left us only a couple of years ago; she had to have been close to 100. She used to give out made-for-the-purpose smaller sized cookies free to children. Smart marketing. Their signature sugar cookie had a dot of red jam in the centre that my then toddler daughter called a 'booger snookie'.

Some bakeries now give out benefit cuts to young employees but I digress.

The movie theatres inside Yonge Eg Centre carry on the tradition of long gone neighbourhood movie houses that served this area in decades past: the 'Capitol' at Yonge and Castlefield, the 'Park' at Yonge and Glenforest, the 'Hollywood' at Yonge and St. Clair, and of course we can't leave out the 'Eglinton' at Eglinton and Avenue Road.

I prefer the better seats and inclined stadium seating of modern cinemas actually. Nostalgia for old school movie houses is more romantic than 'practic'; to me.

Last edited:
Since you are waxing nostalgic, one sweet memory of mine that is long history is “Woman’s Bakery” .....
I was only a child when they were in business here on Coxwell Ave and those tasty little morsels on display in their window was heavenly..... have never come across another bakery that could even come close to matching their variety and deliciousness!!!
I don’t even know if they were a chain or just a sole proprietorship but after all these years I still crave those chocolate eclairs and cream filled donuts!!

Since you are waxing nostalgic, one sweet memory of mine that is long history is “Woman’s Bakery” .....
I was only a child when they were in business here on Coxwell Ave and those tasty little morsels on display in their window was heavenly..... have never come across another bakery that could even come close to matching their variety and deliciousness!!!
I don’t even know if they were a chain or just a sole proprietorship but after all these years I still crave those chocolate eclairs and cream filled donuts!!

It was a chain. Perhaps JT can look into one of those business directories of his and give us an idea how many there were.

Though is Pape actually fare-zone accessible? (As opposed to the half-and-half DWest and secret-back-counter St Clair McDonalds)

Of course, at Pape pre-Tims was that unique salami and cheese store...

There is a window at Pape in the fare paid area.

"It was a chain. Perhaps JT can look into one of those business directories of his and give us an idea how many there were."
Mustapha.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1970:
Thirty-eight retail stores, your inquiry being that of 1015 Coxwell Avenue.

DIRECTORY of DIRECTORS - 1947:
Walker, Howard L; Pres & Dir, Canadian Food Products Ltd - including, partial list of related companies:
Barker's Biscuits Ltd; Honey Dew, Inc; Dominion Stores; etal; also related
through ARGUS: Orange Crush; Massey-Harris Co Ltd; etal.......................................................................................................................................

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"Was there not a Laura Secord on the NE corner of Bloor & Bay in this building up until the 70’s?"
Thecharioteer.

MIGHT'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY - 1970:
Laura Secord Candy Shop.
64 Bloor St, West. - Corner Bulding.

ALSO

Bloor St East at Yonge, S/E corner.

ALSO

Ely Ltd
47 Bloor St West.

Regards,
J T

Back