News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I don't know how this will be taken on a pretentiously politically correct website, but she's incredibly pretty!

"I love a girl in a uniform" The uniforms are very military like, aren't they? Change cuffs and the tag and she could be in a BBC WWll time drama. I wonder if they came off the same production line as military issue?

Since you are waxing nostalgic, one sweet memory of mine that is long history is “Woman’s Bakery”
"Women's"!

It was a chain. Perhaps JT can look into one of those business directories of his and give us an idea how many there were.
You guys are forcing therapy on me. All these memories I'd forgotten. I'm tearing up, don't know if it's for lost or found. It really does 'put me in a better place' though to visit the memory files.

Whatever, this was a tough one to Google. "Women's Bakery" is something totally different now, and I had to dig deep to find this:
LJS Mar 13, 2008 01:25 PM

Try 'The Hot Oven" Bakery in Cloverdale Mall in Etobicoke. BTW, In the 50's Hunts Bakery and Womens Bakery were both chains throughout Toronto that merged (in the late 60's?). My Mom used to preach to my sister and me that it was essential that we get an education or we would end up being the lady who handed out the numbers (for service in order) at the door of the bakery. As a kid, I remember thinking that was a sweet deal, with all the free sugar cookies you could eat!
https://www.chowhound.com/post/womans-bakery-494603?page=2

Be sure to read the entire string. Like the Laura Secord signs being a style of the times repeated on other brands, Women's Bakery had an earlier Loblaw's look to it, the yellow tiles, stainless steel edging for the windows, etc.

Just checking Google View now to see what's left of the building SE corner of Jane/Annette on Jane for a former location of the one I knew as a kid. I can't fit the memory to what's there now, but a couple of decades back, it did reopen as a similar type bakery, but owner-operated.

The sweetness is gone...

This is a tough one to search for...if anyone has more luck, please post tags or links. I need a creme filled éclair badly...

Just to check the spelling was right, had to get at least one hit, and here it is:
upload_2018-1-6_17-16-1.png

https://books.google.ca/books?id=0s...Ak#v=onepage&q=women's bakery history&f=false

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-6_17-16-1.png
    upload_2018-1-6_17-16-1.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,404
Last edited:
Birchmount at Kingston Rd., 1927
View attachment 131736
Wow! Searching for "Women's Bakery" still, found a book by John Lorinc (Torontoist editor) that discusses the common owner of both Hunt's and Women's in the Sixties, still searching, but one hit took me to this pic, and take a look at the number on the interurban stop, it's the next one down the line from Birchmount:

upload_2018-1-6_17-35-10.png

upload_2018-1-6_17-36-30.png

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birchcliffnews/7797084058/

And here's looking north on Birchmount to Kingston Road, where Goldie's pic was taken:

upload_2018-1-6_17-41-58.png

On Birchmount Road, looking north to radial car on Kingston Road. Courtesy of Scarborough Archives

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birchcliffnews/7797078070/in/photostream/
Full size pic at url

Today:
upload_2018-1-6_17-56-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-6_17-35-10.png
    upload_2018-1-6_17-35-10.png
    722 KB · Views: 2,736
  • upload_2018-1-6_17-36-30.png
    upload_2018-1-6_17-36-30.png
    34 KB · Views: 2,469
  • upload_2018-1-6_17-41-58.png
    upload_2018-1-6_17-41-58.png
    535.7 KB · Views: 2,570
  • upload_2018-1-6_17-56-5.png
    upload_2018-1-6_17-56-5.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,451
Last edited:
Yes adma, I too, think 120 lanes is possible.

Here's a wonderful old (1897) photo that calls out for a "Now" comparison.
Richmond looking W from Yonge --- that appears to be the Temple Building in the distance (corner of Bay St.).
I want to avoid another Google street view........someone please give us a real "Now" version.
View attachment 131314

Alrighty then. Today I am standing about where the man is on the sidewalk back then. A parked transport truck prevented a more accurate 'Now'.

P1060085.JPG

Attachments

• P1060085.JPG
    P1060085.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 2,233
" a book by John Lorinc (Torontoist editor) that discusses the common owner of both Hunt's and Women's in the Sixties "
steveintoronto.

Ya ain't seen nothin' yet!
(Argus Corp was the umbrella for many Canadian Companies.)

Regards,
J T

I don't know how this will be taken on a pretentiously politically correct website, but she's incredibly pretty!

"I love a girl in a uniform" The uniforms are very military like, aren't they? Change cuffs and the tag and she could be in a BBC WWll time drama. I wonder if they came off the same production line as military issue?

I'm just admiring the skill of the tailor who must have been involved prior to the photograph being taken. Look at the fit of the shoulders...

DIRECTORY of DIRECTORS - 1947: ... [B said:
Honey Dew, Inc[/B];
Regards,
J T

A fictional scenario:

Attending homicide Detective: 'what about our unknown, doctor?'

Attending Coroner: 'stomach contents include honey dew and hot dogs'

Detective: 'our investigation begins at the Exhibition grounds. Ask the sketch artist to make a likeness and then have our men canvass the grounds immediately.

As iconic as it was I've never met anyone who set foot in there.
I did! Can't say that I can remember much except that I left almost immediately. I think it must have been just curiosity, as I checked out all the sleezy bars down Yonge Street back then. A couple were actually alright. Can't remember the name, a famous one closer to King, east side, had some good bands, saw Gino Vanelli there. Band and act were greasy, but at least not C&W.

Ya ain't seen nothin' yet! (Argus Corp was the umbrella for many Canadian Companies.)
His Lord of Crossdressing? ( Baron Black of Crossharbour.[n 2][94])

I've not kept record of my hunt for Hunt's, but it was as US owner in the early Sixties who owned both and merged them, which might account for their looking so...well...'cookie cutter' in appearance. Don't know how heavy Argus were into food outlets, but I wouldn't be surprised that Weston didn't have a hand in ownership later. Btw: Digging on this, somehow tripped across the original Loblaw history. I'm now wondering when the Westons gained that, Galen now being the richest man in Canada. They've now acquired so much that even the term "Let them eat cake" is owned by them. Of course, they'd prefer the price be fixed, but I demur...

Found a few pics of Hunt's Bakery, but not worthy to post here to tell the story. One was at the Glen Echo loop, and included "ice cream" in the banner. That I don't remember, maybe before my time.

I'm just admiring the skill of the tailor who must have been involved prior to the photograph being taken. Look at the fit of the shoulders..
I'll make an admission...I saved that pic to my erotica file. Seriously, quite often it's as much what's worn as not, and she's stunning. Like real Tweed jackets, some cuts never age if form-flattering. She'd be as much a babe dressed like that today as back then. Best I stop there...but...no, stop Steve. Legs...

Addendum:

The Colonial! This was when the Yonge St taverns (some) were looking to cater to "the kids" except the Colonial was one of the better ones in terms of presenting the band as 'the thing' rather than background for drinking.

20161013-colonial.jpg

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2016/10/the_lost_taverns_and_bars_of_toronto/

I got talked into going there by a girl-friend at the time, she had a crush on Vanelli (don't ask) and I was pleasantly surprised as to how 'reformed' the place had become. A lot of those bars remained dives, not that I was much of a drinker, I did other things...

Further Addendum: Can hardly believe this, there's pics online, here's some:
http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...li-at-the-colonial-tavern-picture-id502532073

Last edited:
steveintoronto, I patronized the Silver Rail at Yonge and Shuter [I had a company expense account].

Strangely, as many corporate people who loved to dine out on my dime (ordering all the courses); many refused, citing company policy, if that was even indeed the case.

steveintoronto, I patronized the Silver Rail at Yonge and Shuter [I had a company expense account].

Strangely, as many corporate people who loved to dine out on my dime (ordering all the courses); many refused, citing company policy, if that was even indeed the case.
You inspired me to look up the history, I can't remember taking a look in there, although I might have, but what impresses me now would be different from then:
[...]The waiters carried silver water jugs, and were attired in formal white jackets, and black trousers. The restaurant featured live music on weekends, and it was said that on one occasion, Oscar Peterson gave an impromptu performance on its baby grand piano. It was in this restaurant that my aunt and I enjoyed lunch in 1995. [...]
https://tayloronhistory.com/2016/10/09/torontos-silver-rail-tavern-closed-1998/

I take back my claimed impression of "most of them dives". Other than the massive clouds of cigarette smoke in those day, this place looked like I'd be comfortable in it, even if it's not my kind of 'scene'. I might have to reconsider my memories being accurate, or at least complete. I'm so much younger now...

Commercial Bank 15 Wellington St West January 3, 1980.

f1526_fl0053_it0006.jpg

Now. Jan 7 2018. This facade exists inside BCE Place - about 50 paces south of where it used to be (it fronted onto Wellington E.) There are offices appended to it but I believe they are recreated spaces.

P1070081.JPG

Attachments

• f1526_fl0053_it0006.jpg
    f1526_fl0053_it0006.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 1,961
  • P1070081.JPG
    P1070081.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 1,881
Last edited:

Back