News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Yes, but most of those theatres were the older format (sloped seating etc). These types of theatres closed across North America, I do agree however that downtown Toronto can support multiple theatres.

Old format, new format - there is less of a demand for theatres. When I was younger, you did not have a good quality affordable experience at home. Now (and in the future) the cost and experience of watching that movie at home is very good - and getting better. Additionally there is a lower birth rate, which means less kids that need to get away from home and spend their movie viewing time at the theatre. In addition, the movie distributors take a larger cut of revenue than before - which makes it harder to make as much money as before. So yes, there is not the same need now as before.

Old format, new format - there is less of a demand for theatres. When I was younger, you did not have a good quality affordable experience at home. Now (and in the future) the cost and experience of watching that movie at home is very good - and getting better. Additionally there is a lower birth rate, which means less kids that need to get away from home and spend their movie viewing time at the theatre. In addition, the movie distributors take a larger cut of revenue than before - which makes it harder to make as much money as before. So yes, there is not the same need now as before.

All true. but as was posted previously, a lot of movie theatre space has been removed from the downtown Toronto core over the past 15-20 years. So the space that the AMC is adding in the end will only be bringing back in capacity which was lost during the 90's. On top of that there is the increased demand created by the influx of new residents, mostly young adults, into the core through all the condo and job growth within the city over the past few years. Some of which may be interested in leaving home once in a while for entertainment, irregardless of how good their subwoofers and tv's are.

All true. but as was posted previously, a lot of movie theatre space has been removed from the downtown Toronto core over the past 15-20 years. So the space that the AMC is adding in the end will only be bringing back in capacity which was lost during the 90's. On top of that there is the increased demand created by the influx of new residents, mostly young adults, into the core through all the condo and job growth within the city over the past few years.

All excellent points. TLS and the cinemas will also capture tourists plus the population downtown has surged in the past 15-20 years.

Yep, a small-box cell phone store anchoring a great civic 'monument.' Why didn't the Romans think of that one?!

So that leaves how many retailers unfilled now?

I actually prefer AMC over Cineplex as well. I used to like Famous Players when it was owned by Paramount. AMC's MovieWatcher Card is pretty good. And the fact that it gives u a "discounted" price makes u pretty much use your card every time. And you get a free small popcorn or drink or something every 5 movies or so (every 10 points I believe). I've had my MovieWatcher card since AMC Courtneypark opened. It was an extremely quiet theatre when it first opened. However over the years many in Mississauga and Brampton have realized it's presence. For example it was packed for Revenge of the Sith midnight opening show.

Plus when you have a boyfriend/girlfriend, the "loveseat" thing is pretty cool. Being single now though it doesn't help me lol.

Does anyone remember when movie ticket prices got insanely high, like $15? Everyone seemed to stop going to the movies at that point, except for AMC because it was like $8 back then. They were dirt cheap when they first came here, like $6. I miss those days! I guess the low prices were to entice people to try them out versus the traditional Cineplex or Famous Players.

What I find interesting is that in the US, Cineplex is owned by AMC. Obviously the US and Canadian Cineplex's had different owners. It's odd when that happens. Sunoco in Canada and the US have different owners as well.

I really hope something is put in this empty space. Anything. Even a large sticky-note would do...

2274689350_d7605b2916_o.jpg

Thanks YYZER for the image(s).

LOL. Very funny, 3D. I can't wait to see Adma and Eve, though I fear that the half the movie will be establishing shots of suburban gas stations and greasy spoons.

Sadly, despite 3D's magnanimous attempts to employ someone to cover the corrugated sheet metal, there is no advertisement planned for that space.

It was confirmed a few pages ago although I'm not sure of the post #'s...

(btw, thanks 3D, it's been a hard day, I needed that)

I don't know what is behind that empty void where the post-it notes are going, but couldn't they have at least extended the windows a bit further so that there is no void on the front? Something so simple would have acheived a better result. Mind you, based on simplicity, this is what we've gotten all over the building.

I don't know about you, but that space would be perfect to display AMC movie times...

I don't know about you, but that space would be perfect to display AMC movie times...

Perfect for who? Not for the people on the sidewalk deciding on which film to watch. That space isn't even well seen from the square.

Not extending the windows all the way -- even if they were fake like the fans -- is another example of how poorly and segmented this whole building has been "designed".

Back