News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I was discussing the colonoscopy issue with my dad, who is of the age where it is very important to get the procedure. He said my mom was none too happy with that idea. We also talked about one of his friends at church who is a lawyer and Doug isn't very popular in that group. These are people who usually vote PC and they would much rather have Elliott in charge.

Last edited:
Y'know, with this pattern of grumpily forced backing-off and all, I'm wondering what the chances are of DoFo being pushed out of the premiership, quitting caucus with insinuations of his colleagues being "ungrateful", and perhaps setting up a People's Party of Ontario ("For The People", y'know--funny how the word "People" becomes a loaded metaphor)

I was discussing the colonoscopy issue with my dad, who is of the age where it is very important to get the procedure. He said my mom was none too happy with that idea. We also talked about one of his friends at church who is a lawyer and Doug isn't very popular in that group. These are people who usually vote PC and they would much rather have Elliott in charge.

I know some PC supporters as well who aren't too happy with Ford. But watch, come election time all is forgotten and they will all vote for Dougie. :rolleyes:

I'm sure their urge to "sticking it to the Libs" will win out and they vote for him again next election.

What else can they do?

I know they will just get legislated back to work anyways but I fully support them on their cause.
Teachers have been one of the best paid government workers in Ontario and Ontario teachers are among the best paid in North America.
Of course they need to strike. They need more. They always need more or they will strike.

Teachers have been one of the best paid government workers in Ontario and Ontario teachers are among the best paid in North America.
Of course they need to strike. They need more. They always need more or they will strike.

This doesn't make any sense.

Because they are well paid they should just roll over on job losses?

Would it be too much to ask you to get facts to support your arguments? Or to place those arguments or facts in context. Let me help.

The top paid teachers (at the top of their pay grid) in Canada can be found in Nunavut, followed by Winnipeg and Edmonton, with Ontario teachers in 4th.

Note that Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan, both with a much lower cost of living than Ontario are right behind in pay.

If we compared them to teachers in the United States.....

They would make less than teachers in Alaska, New York State or Connecticut.

As with Canada, there are several more jurisdictions with only slightly lower pay.

https://www.app.com/story/news/inve...sis/2018/04/12/teacher-salary-2017/508703002/ (figures are in USD, remember to apply 1.33 multiple to get CAD equivalent)

Making them, roughly in a tie for 7th highest in North America.

To be clear, they are well paid, but it could certainly be higher; and Ontario out performs most of the jurisdictions paying more, when looking at PISA results and graduation rates.

Now that we have that sorted..........what of these teacher strikes???

There has in fact been only one province-wide strike by teachers in the last 22 years..

While there were some localized ones and limited job actions, few if any were centred on pay.

Ontario teachers are actually among the most qualified in North America (higher levels of educational attainment)

I'm not quite sure what you have against them. The current issue is over class-size change that I have already evidenced here as unworkable; and won't ultimately be implemented.

The issue is not wages.

Last edited:
Teachers are losing their jobs. That seems like a fairly valid reason to strike. The numbers are going to be worse than the estimates from the Province.

I think a teacher strike plays right into Fraud's hands, because a lot of people see them as having very cushy, secure jobs and that they're the last people who should be complaining.

I find it interesting that Doug's brother was a drunk, yet he wants tailgating and more places that sell alcohol.

Back