News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Metroman,

Ryerson has funding from the Province for the Sam's site. In a recent article there was word that plans for the site should be ready in 14 months and construction would begin asap. The demand for student study space is high at Ryerson and it was one of the main priorities outlined in the master plan.

Thanks for the update Tuscani. So the SAM's site is going to be purely a study space? Wasn't this supposed to be Ryerson's grand entrance on Yonge? It's a pretty large property which I recall is zoned to allow for a taller building than the current one floor there now.

Thanks for the update Tuscani. So the SAM's site is going to be purely a study space? Wasn't this supposed to be Ryerson's grand entrance on Yonge? It's a pretty large property which I recall is zoned to allow for a taller building than the current one floor there now.

It will be no taller than the current library building and will be connected to the current one above O'keefe Lane. The ground floor will be commercial with a small section at the corner of Yonge & Gould being an entrance to Ryerson. (See the business building for an example)

The renderings shown had the entrance to Dundas Station via this corner... and it would be clearly signed as the 'Ryerson University' exit from the platform all the way to the surface. Whether or not the entrance is built there hasnt been decided yet. Other options included going through the sidewalk on Gould or the building across the street. (Former Franks building)

I'd love to see Gould extended eastward across Mutual, through to Jarvis. It would animate the base of the Sears building, and break up the superblock that runs north-south from Gerrard to Dundas, link up two major streets and create a more imposing promenade. It would also be a great opportunity to define an imposing new entrance to the school at its east end.

I think you'd have to knock a wing off those beige-brick residences on Mutual to do so, though.

mutualandgould.jpg

"Wasn't this supposed to be Ryerson's grand entrance on Yonge? It's a pretty large property which I recall is zoned to allow for a taller building than the current one floor there now."

My understanding is that this will serve as the principle entrance to the library building as well as provide a face for the university on Yonge. From what I've heard it's an open concept for the lobby, and they are currently seeking ideas for what might be best appropriate for the space. I think they are looking for something a little bit different and with a bit of 'wow'. They obviously don't want it to be your average entrance to an academic library.

wow, glad i am getting out of rye before all that space becomes a consturction zone...if what you say is true, they are going to need to do some major reshuffling in order to rotate the library entrance 180 degrees; it currently faces church street.

Yes it will be nice to see Ryerson with a greater physical presence downtown. I'm a Concordia grad and i know that they have similar concerns with their DT facilities in Montreal.

From the Star, by Hume again:

Ryerson plan will transform downtown
University's plan to transform campus with architectural excellence will revive downtown area, accommodate more students and put people first

Feb 26, 2008 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume
Urban affairs columnist

More than ever, the future of Ryerson University is the future of downtown Toronto. After being ignored for decades, the full extent of the connection between the two is finally coming clear.

In 2005, Ryerson commissioned a team of designers to prepare a master plan for the campus. That report won't be presented until the end of March, but it proposes changes that would transform the inner-city institution top to bottom.

Prepared by KPMB, Ken Greenberg, Renée Daoust and the IBI Group, the scheme calls for a radical rethink of a precinct that neither the school nor the city has taken seriously in the years since Ryerson was founded in 1948.

That's why RU today is a mess; despite a student population of more than 24,000, it remains bleak and hostile to pedestrians, not to mention students. It exists within the city, but also despite the city. Now the time has come for the two to make up.

"This is not a traditional master plan," explains KPMB architect Marianne McKenna, who headed the planning team. "It contains a number of principles intended to enhance student life and lead growth."

First among those principles is intensification; according to McKenna, Ryerson could easily find a million square feet rebuilding existing structures more densely. In one of its boldest moves, the report advocates tearing down the fortress-like Kerr Hall and replacing it with a series of bigger buildings, one on each side of the Quad. These buildings would be taller than but not as long as the four wings of Kerr. This would create much-needed entrances at each corner.

The second principle – putting people first – makes a lot of sense, but will require the co-operation of other players, namely the city. The single most dramatic gesture would be to close Gould St. between Yonge and Church Sts. That would help make Ryerson a truly pedestrian precinct, and provide the means to establish a genuine campus, one that belongs to students.

Unfortunately, Toronto Life Square, that blight of a building nearing completion on the northeast corner of Yonge and Dundas, was designed so its loading docks can only be accessed from Gould. As well as being another sign of Toronto's failed planning process, it compromises Ryerson's dreams. Of course, there are ways to deal with this, most likely through timed vehicular access, remote-controlled bollards – or dynamite.

McKenna's team presents three options, all of which close Gould around Victoria. None go far enough, however. Gould should be pedestrianized all the way from Yonge to Church, and Victoria and Bond from Gould to Dundas.

"I think closing Gould will lead the process," says Ryerson president and CEO Sheldon Levy. "We can't be passive to the city-building aspect of the plan."

He also admits proposals he once worried would be viewed as "radical" are now seen as "moderate."

The appetite for change is growing; suddenly ideas like closing Gould, tearing down Kerr Hall, and turning the recently purchased Sam The Record Man site into a student centre with bicycle-only parking make eminent sense.

Indeed, we are starting to grasp that old ways of doing things – handing over cities to cars and building hideous schools – are irrational and destructive.

McKenna's third principle – architectural excellence – is also one whose moment has arrived. The first test will come on Yonge, where Sam's will be rebuilt. For the first time in a long time, hopes are high.

"There's optimism that things are changing," Levy insists. "My job will be to create an administrative structure that requires future decisions be made in conformity with the plan. We can't go on thinking just about more roads and more cars."

Unfortunately, Toronto Life Square, that blight of a building nearing completion on the northeast corner of Yonge and Dundas, was designed so its loading docks can only be accessed from Gould. As well as being another sign of Toronto's failed planning process, it compromises Ryerson's dreams. Of course, there are ways to deal with this, most likely through timed vehicular access, remote-controlled bollards – or dynamite.

Did Hume even do his research before coming up with this? Ryerson (though the previous administration) had its' part in the TLS mess directly. They owned the parking garage on Victoria; they participated in the scheme by trading air rights for the right to use the theatres as lecture halls in order to, at the time, handle the double cohort. Beyond that - the loading docks for the Ryerson bookstore has ALWAYS been there, and given the fact that the garage didn't went down, where do you suppose one can put the loading docks for Metropolis? Dundas Street? Get real.

AoD

Ryerson plan will transform downtown

db9fdd5c4542b31a15c4567313f7.jpeg

Ryerson University commissioned a team of designers to come up with ideas that will transform its campus. Above, an illustration of proposed changes.

Did Hume even do his research before coming up with this? Ryerson (though the previous administration) had its' part in the TLS mess directly. They owned the parking garage on Victoria; they participated in the scheme by trading air rights for the right to use the theatres as lecture halls in order to, at the time, handle the double cohort. Beyond that - the loading docks for the Ryerson bookstore has ALWAYS been there, and given the fact that the garage didn't went down, where do you suppose one can put the loading docks for Metropolis? Dundas Street? Get real.

AoD

I seriously doubt he did any research on this...I further argue that Ryerson garage drove the massing of the building along Victoria and extremely irregular design on Dundas at Victoria.

Update from today

Noticed this on the way home

dsc00468ox3.jpg

Does anybody know if the record store mentioned by the Barenaked Ladies in one of their songs (Brian Wilson?) is Sam's? "Drove downtown in the rain...just to check out the late night record shop..." I always assumed it was, but then again maybe that's because that's what I used to do? Sorry if off topic, but I saw the image above and wondered.

Does anybody know if the record store mentioned by the Barenaked Ladies in one of their songs (Brian Wilson?) is Sam's? "Drove downtown in the rain...just to check out the late night record shop..." I always assumed it was, but then again maybe that's because that's what I used to do? Sorry if off topic, but I saw the image above and wondered.

Indeed, that's true.

A piece of Toronto history replaced by banal quasi-architecture of Rye High... Shame.

It's not like the current building was even close to outstanding in its architecture. Ryerson University is a part of Toronto history too.

It's not like the current building was even close to outstanding in its architecture. Ryerson University is a part of Toronto history too.

Of course not... Sam's meant so much more to so many people in Toronto. Here in Ottawa everyone's heard of it.

Back