News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Thanks for that piece yyz. I went to one of the brown-bag lunches for the Master Plan and the presenter (from Campus Planning and Facilities) indicated that Candrel snapped up the property at the SE corner of Yonge + Gould for 19M.

AoD

You mean the new shoe store? It's a beautiful building. It would be awesome if Ryerson developed that.

I thought Hack-em and the TPH buildings were designated for some sort of hotel? The Toronto/Ryerson plan might end up going against this.

Ryerson should really worry about adding more residence space - for some reason, this seems to be lacking in all the flashy plans.

I thought Hack-em and the TPH buildings were designated for some sort of hotel? The Toronto/Ryerson plan might end up going against this.

Ryerson should really worry about adding more residence space - for some reason, this seems to be lacking in all the flashy plans.
in their model, they are assuming private developers provide the housing for students.

It's kitty corner to Aura, so presumably something quite tall could be built here. It could have a Burano-esque base in the existing structure.

in their model, they are assuming private developers provide the housing for students.

You mean like the Trihell rental at Church and Gerrard?

I hope that isn't their solution to the poor housing situation at Ryerson.

You mean like the Trihell rental at Church and Gerrard?

I hope that isn't their solution to the poor housing situation at Ryerson.

That seems to be the case - in fact they used the Campus Commons as the example for things to come. I am surprised Ryerson didn't snap up that site first (ditto the corner of Yonge + Gerrard).

AoD

Ugh. That's wrong on so many levels.

One, the rents are outrageous for such crappy cubbyholes of apartments. Second, the building is an eyesore, third, It just seems wrong that while universities across Ontario are biting the bullet and building their own residences, Ryerson refuses to do so.

It's kitty corner to Aura, so presumably something quite tall could be built here. It could have a Burano-esque base in the existing structure.

So long as the Big Slice and local drug dealers peddling oregano are not displaced.

The lack of resident at Ryerson is a concern. On site they could look at might be the empty lot on Bay/Gerrard beside the Delta. It will be residential to fit with the rest of the corridor. Although I'm sure that one is on hold for another 50 storey condo.

This week Ryerson's Planning program is hosting the annual Canadian Association of Planning Students Conference. I attended the opening session today at City Hall and there was a long presentation by KPMB on the master plan.

There was word about future housing being built by the private sector with Ryerson having some say in facilities and amenities. President Levy is aiming for 2000 new spaces in residence in order to make Ryerson a safe and active campus when everyone goes home. Whether it is left to the private sector to fill this demand or whether Ryerson will deal with it has not been decided.

All renderings which have been posted up until now are not designs for buildings and none of them will actually be constructed. They are to be used as guidelines for future plans. RFP's will be issued when the time comes. The first major construction project will be the expanded library/study space. An RFP will be issued soon.

The portion of Gould which is most likely to be closed is between Victoria and Bond St. On the maps they showed, Bond and Victoria would be one-way north bound streets. Victoria traffic would be forced west along Gould to Yonge, while Bond traffic would go east toward Church.

They showed us an amazing walk through video of their vision. If I find it anywhere Ill be sure to post it here!

By the way, most of the land which Ryerson has aquired wont be developed any time soon. Its simply being banked for the future.

^ I was there also. The video was definitely awesome, all though a few too many people than would actually be there (also, not one person in the video had the physique of anything less than a super model, too bad that's not really the case).

During the presentation she used a lot of examples from their work at Concordia in Montreal. If they were able to get the same success, then I think the Master Plan will work. But of course, as Tuscani mentioned, all the designs are only conceptual, including the one on the Sam's site.

By the way, most of the land which Ryerson has aquired wont be developed any time soon. Its simply being banked for the future.

Even the high profile properties such as Sam's/Futureshop? It hurts my soul to pass by there and see this building so close to "The Heart of the City" boarded up.

^ I was there also. The video was definitely awesome, all though a few too many people than would actually be there (also, not one person in the video had the physique of anything less than a super model, too bad that's not really the case).

hahaha at least she admitted they put too many people in the renderings. I laughed at the people riding bikes on the grass in the Quad. Are you in SURP too?

Metroman,

Ryerson has funding from the Province for the Sam's site. In a recent article there was word that plans for the site should be ready in 14 months and construction would begin asap. The demand for student study space is high at Ryerson and it was one of the main priorities outlined in the master plan.

Back