Verster makes a good case for why elevated viaducts are optimal. But then why is QP/Metrolinx now proposing Eglinton West be underground. If Overlea and Don Mills are good, which they are, then Eglinton West would be better. It's one of the most optimal locations in the city for a guideway. Selective thriftiness doesn't add up. Also dollars to donuts that they'll keep the Don crossing of Yonge North underground despite a bridge being the original and more logical choice.
TBH, has the Metrolinx version of Eglinton West even been elaborated into anything more than a napkin sketch at this point?

TBH, has the Metrolinx version of Eglinton West even been elaborated into anything more than a napkin sketch at this point?
I was gunna say, I thought all Metrolinx had promised was a grade separated Eg West. They have a budget of $4.7 billion for the 12.5km line, that's only $375 million / km. You can't tunnel for that budget.

IBC up, via Metrolinx:

I do find it funny that it doesn't have a single reference to models on Relief Line North - or Relief Line South and North combined.

AoD

Last edited:
IBC up, via Metrolinx:

I do find it funny that it doesn't have a single reference to models on Relief Line North - or Relief Line South and North combined.

AoD
I came to the same conclusion (clicked link and read document before reading you post) that there’s no mention of the RLN, at least split into phases first to Eglinton.

Edit: Actually, there are mentions of using the work from the RLN, but there are no maps showing it as a alternative choice.

the Ontario Line - based on the existing plans for the Relief Line South subway and initial analysis for the Relief Line North extension

Can't wait for the TTC unions to cry foul over the use of fully automated trains.
The line is only replacing existing buses and streetcars (the Relief Line doesn’t exist), so how many operators would be removed?

Last edited:
So we are looking at an Alstrom Metropolis-type system?
Possibly. I do believe that something standard like that would be perfect. LIM should be a non-starter at this point considering the large outdoor stretches of the line. Something either 3rd Rail or Catenary would be ideal.

Corktown makes sense

IBC up, via Metrolinx:

AoD
Kind of nice that a report dated July 2019, is actually released to the public in July 2019.
Compare to the June 2012 Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown Business Case, which was written in June 2012, and released in December 2013.
Those who like open government must be happy with the new direction.

I noticed they proposed 100m stations with 29 to 24 kppdph - which is pretty much what we had been assuming up until now.
They show Figure 21 with the cross platform transfer (at East Harbour, but I also assume Exhibition). With this, I think it assumes that the Ontario Line comes in parallel to the GO line - and it might be hard to suggest alternative routes at either of these locations. It also suggests that (at least at station locations), the Ontario Line will not be elevated (beyond the berm).

Kind of nice that a report dated July 2019, is actually released to the public in July 2019.
Compare to the June 2012 Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown Business Case, which was written in June 2012, and released in December 2013.

I noticed they proposed 100m stations with 29 to 24 kppdph - which is pretty much what we had been assuming up until now.
They show Figure 21 with the cross platform transfer (at East Harbour, but I also assume Exhibition). With this, I think it assumes that the Ontario Line comes in parallel to the GO line - and it might be hard to suggest alternative routes at either of these locations. It also suggests that (at least at station locations), the Ontario Line will not be elevated (beyond the berm).
View attachment 196243
This also suggests that the Ontario Line will either have the tracks leaving and entering the rail corridor will be on the north (westbound) and south (eastbound) side, or have switches with the GO tracks. The latter may be problematic for frequencies.

View attachment 196243

Not sure I'd call that a "cross platform transfer" unless GO starts letting us cross their tracks.

It's either save money by putting trains out in the open along with the noise and vibrations they cause, or spend money burying the trains to reduce the noise and vibrations. Doug Ford accepts the noise and vibrations on behalf of the residents along Carlaw Avenue between Gerrard Avenue and Queen Street East.

Back