News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Now put in the order for 60 - 100 needed additional streetcars. With appropriate changes, like double-ended streetcars.
II don't think we're going to see double-ended streetcars on the legacy network for at least another 20 years or so as it will mean they have to rebuild the system to handle them as it is right now they have no crossovers and don't plan on building them. Ordering the next set without any firm plans to operate them double-ended would just be a waste of money at this point.

II don't think we're going to see double-ended streetcars on the legacy network for at least another 20 years or so as it will mean they have to rebuild the system to handle them as it is right now they have no crossovers and don't plan on building them. Ordering the next set without any firm plans to operate them double-ended would just be a waste of money at this point.

Putting in crossover tracks is easy. The same as pulling them out.

Putting in crossover tracks is easy. The same as pulling them out.

That doesn't change anything. As I said the TTC isn't likey to rip up the track and put in crossovers just because a few people on a message board seem to think that it's a good idea and will solve problems that they think exist. I still say it's going to be at least another 30 years before they decided to do that if they decided to do it at all

4579 arrived today by road from Kingston.
Not my photo and it was past onto me
1575488867965.png

Last edited:
The Dec 16 budget meeting will be interesting to see if the 5 year plan is any indication. TTC also has an issues now on having 167 streetcars in service at peak time, considering it only has 190 now and 40 of them are out of service for various reason and for some time.

Based on the 5 year service plan, TTC should be requesting money in the 2020-2025 budget on Dec 16 to make sure there are 214 cars to meet peak service by 2024. An order for 100 more cars has to be made in 2020/21 to meet the 2024 time frame of having 214 cars in service, if not more. Looks like close to 125 cars to be order to cover the spare ratio.

Starting in 2020, 511 will be a bus route until 2024. Sometime in 2020, 505 will see streetcars again, but with longer headway.

To meet the 5 year plan to beef up streetcar service, it will have to be done with buses until a new order of cars show up.

I wonder if part of the TTC/BBD settlement is to allow an option for ordering more cars after the Freedoms are delivered. WIth such a low MDBF mileage and slow deliveries, it is surely impossible to have confidence in the product at that time.

I wonder if part of the TTC/BBD settlement is to allow an option for ordering more cars after the Freedoms are delivered. WIth such a low MDBF mileage and slow deliveries, it is surely impossible to have confidence in the product at that time.

TTC opted not to exercise (or expand upon) the option on the current contract; those have expired.

BBD will absolutely be taking part in the new tender and their price will increase by at least 30% (and probably win).

TTC opted not to exercise (or expand upon) the option on the current contract; those have expired.

BBD will absolutely be taking part in the new tender and their price will increase by at least 30% (and probably win).
Though the option timing has passed, BBD certainly owes the TTC $$$$ for delays and snafus so I bet they will be supplying some more streetcars at zero or low cost. I agree that any major new order will mean a new tender call but (though having only one model would probably be 'easier') I suspect that BBD's poor record will not help their case!

Though the option timing has passed, BBD certainly owes the TTC $$$$ for delays and snafus so I bet they will be supplying some more streetcars at zero or low cost.

The settlement will not result in BBD providing additional streetcars - that's why they recently tweeted a photo of 4603 with the comment about it being the last Flexity being built for Toronto.

Instead, as I understand it, the TTC negotiated a cost savings on the total order along with an extended warranty program for the cars.

Dan

Though the option timing has passed, BBD certainly owes the TTC $$$$ for delays and snafus so I bet they will be supplying some more streetcars at zero or low cost. I agree that any major new order will mean a new tender call but (though having only one model would probably be 'easier') I suspect that BBD's poor record will not help their case!

It is my understanding ( I could be wrong) that the penalty w/BBD was settled confidentially and not as additional vehicles.

I'm guessing at warranty extension.

I see Dan responded above in near identical timing.

Dan...you have a message!

4597 and 4598 have shipped. That makes 5 cars currently en route from Thunder Bay, and only five more to be released.

- Paul

Back