News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Looks like I should've done more internet sleuthing before running my mouth off. Thanks for the clarifications.

Though it does fly in the face of the idea that Pearson needs to offload some of its private air traffic to free up time/space for more commercial flights.

It's a time of day thing. Pearson is highly congested between 6am and 9am, and again from about 4pm through 8pm.

There is typically plenty of capacity in the middle of the day, particularly when there is high visibility (no fog or low cloud cover). The most likely time to test a new aircraft is during high visibility at mid-day as that's the easiest time to manage emergencies and view it from the ground.

Private air traffic often wants to land in that 6am to 9am period for day-time meetings.

Last edited:
It's not like BBD is producing a ton of these new jets every single day so in the overall scheme of things, they aren't going to require a ton of slots. No reason why they can't takeoff or land on the 15s or 33s on a one off basis while the regular pattern is on the 05/23 or 06/24 pattern.

im new here...but fly out of yyz a lot! Anyone read the above? I hope it’s true!

Last edited:

im new here...but fly out of yyz a lot! Anyone read the above? I hope it’s true!

This it just the 10 gate pier that opened where the gate 193 commuter gates were.

This it just the 10 gate pier that opened where the gate 193 commuter gates were.
Looks like more than that to me. Those renderings show a "real" pier G as planned in the old master plan, not the dinky little holdover thing they just opened. Exciting to see that Pearson is finally moving on it, with the absolutely incredible passenger growth it has seen in the last few years.

I mean this sure as hell isn't what the airport looks like today:

Pier-G-EXT02-1-768x428.jpg

Looks like more than that to me. Those renderings show a "real" pier G as planned in the old master plan, not the dinky little holdover thing they just opened. Exciting to see that Pearson is finally moving on it, with the absolutely incredible passenger growth it has seen in the last few years.

This includes six additional wide-body (five Code C and one Code E) gates and the upgrade of five existing walk-out gates on the west side of the existing Gate 193 to new, fully bridged gates

This quote seems to directly reference the gate 193 expansion. Code C aircraft are 737/320/E-190's and Code E are 777/330 aircraft. Now I've never heard of the 10 gate pier having the ability to accept 777's but that could be a typo. Also the 2017 Master plan called the gate 193 expansion pier G and only makes a passing mention at pier H.

Other reasons why I think they are referring to the gate 193 expansion/new pier G:
- The gate 193 expansion went live in Oct which fits in with the timeline of this article being written
- No announcement from GTAA. One would think that if they were going to begin a major construction project such as pier H and the additional construction to the passenger processing terminal to accommodate it that they would have announced it with at least some fanfare.
- CGI images are just that artists interpretations. Just because the image in the article doesn't match what we see in real life doesn't mean it's not the same structure.
- This tweet: seems to indicate we are still talking about expansion to gate 193/pier G. NOT a new pier H

From the Pearson site, 2019 was 50.5 million people roughly. Refer to attached pic for your reference.

Attachments

• 12ADC951-27EB-4EED-945D-20D56054D807.png
    12ADC951-27EB-4EED-945D-20D56054D807.png
    818.6 KB · Views: 358
What's all that construction in Terminal 1 Domestic? Anyone have any pictures?

There is currently a lot of construction, going on in Domestic & the transborder area is affected, as they are extending the level 3 to smoothen the connections and for faster CBSA.

The other part of the connection is for kinda making the domestic & international departures "one" just like in T3. This incldues construction of new security screenings, that's the dry walls that you see from the D gate security to the E gate security (Where subway was located before)

Pier-G-EXT02-1-768x428.jpg
If you take a closer look at the planned Pier G, it almost looks like the recently-built stuff is integrated in the middle. Would sort of make sense if they’re trying to avoid a one-time big ticket item like the Terminal 1 re-build and incrementally expand. The only shame is that we won’t get a perfectly symmetrical Terminal 1 as originally envisioned.

Does anyone know if the ‘temporary’ pier is structurally designed to be expanded?

From the tweet above by @Woodbridge_Heights:
A clearer shot of the rendering:

Pier-G-EXT01-1-e1573203431626.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone here know how Pearson is holding up right now?

Fully expecting another Yellow Ribbon type event if this disease progresses much further.

Anyone here know how Pearson is holding up right now?

Fully expecting another Yellow Ribbon type event if this disease progresses much further.
The first sign yesterday that things were different was when Google maps showed a solid green line from Scarborough to the airport midday on Saturday! We went through T3. It was very quiet, but everything was still operational. Staff were all wearing rubber gloves.

It's a shame air traffic is basically dead right now. Going out to the airport and sitting in the car with the kid to watch planes land would've killed a solid hour of time every weekend seeing as there are so little options for entertainment right now.

Back