News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Thoughts on a preference below - and the design in general? I've removed a foyer wall for my preferred design of the space. This way, you get views out the windows once you open the front door. I'm also going to upgrade on their option of adding a kitchen island vs. having a dining room table.

View attachment 1D-K9.jpgView attachment 1D-K9 updated.jpg

Attachments

• 1D-K9.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 719
  • 1D-K9 updated.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 689
wVj5ySQ.png

I'd rather have more living space and less terrace space -- depending on what floor this is on and which direction it faces, you might or might not spend a lot of time on that terrace. I'd be tempted to take the walls off that second bedroom and open up that space to more of a den, perhaps with a pull-out sofa if you're only using it for the occasional overnight guest.

I remember this unit as one from 158 Front yes? I like it except be aware that the second bedroom is pretty small, and the living/dining/kitchen will be pretty cozy (which is fine). The sink being right by the window can be an annoyance. There's also not a lot of storage space (looks like just one closet?).

I love the large terrace and it looks like it's a Southeast unit? The interesting thing here (to me anyways!) is that they are using tall grass to separate the terraces. Who takes care of the grass?, how tall is tall?

Tall grasses require very little maintenance and is drought tolerant. It only requires to be cut down to the ground before winter.
They are actually quite nice looking and could grow really tall with wheat-like feathered reeds.

The kitchen layout is rather tight for a 2-BR unit.
I would put the walk-in shower in the ensuite and have the tub in the 2nd bathroom as most people shower more often than taking baths. The vanity in the ensuite could be made wider.

The entry/coat closet is extra deep (to fit the W/D) so you could store things like a vacuum, ironing board and other bulky items. This would be a good place to spend the money for a custom closet system to make the best use of that deep closet. The closets in the bedrooms are pretty generous.

The second bedroom is very tiny. I agree with Tripwire and make it into a den, or a guest bedroom with a small sofa bed.
Lastly I would flip the direction of the door opening in the master bedroom. It partially blocks the flow into the bedroom, it should open towards the closet door instead -- it will only bock just a few inches of the closet door.

we like the overall layout. 2nd bedroom will be for daughter. Not entirely sure what to do with the den....maybe add a door / single bed? Kitchen storage also lacking a little bit.

Any ideas/suggestions? We meet with builder in a couple months to discuss upgrades / modifications.

I like it. I love that terrace! I'd put some rounded-corner shelves in the niche by the W/D (opposite the fridge) for some extra storage. Some sort of island with cabinetry would also help. I'd leave the den as is and either get a sofa bed, or those wall-beds that act as desks when up.

I'd also consider putting a bench flush against the north wall in the dining area and having the dining table over there (instead of right in the center of the room), although that might not be as aesthetically pleasing; and it'd really depend on how big of a dining table you are looking for.

A couple of floor plans from Westlake Encore. One seemed good on paper and turned out to be great in reality. One seemed good on paper, but turned out to be not so great in reality.

1582850679443.png

First, the 800 sq.ft. 2 bed 2 bath unit.

You can find the PDI photos in my post here. This is the one that looks decent on paper but isn't quite as nice in real life. It's not a bad layout to live in and I'll leave its pros for you to figure out. But I will give you the cons that might not be very apparent from the floor plan:
- Bedrooms are tiny. Once a queen size bed is in, it's hard to walk around it. And forget about fitting in any other piece of furniture. Bedside tables is all you get in either of the bedrooms.
- Foyer and the hallway to the kitchen/living space feels narrow, crammed and is simply a waste of space.
- The walk-in closet feels more crammed than the one in the smaller 600 sq.ft. unit.
- In general, lack of storage space
- Kitchen is pretty much nonfunctional. Between all the appliances taking up most of the kitchen, there is almost no cupboard/pantry space left
- The living room is crammed. Due to lack of solid walls, the furniture layout is forced upon you. There is no physical space for any additional storage besides a TV stand and maybe something small above the TV.
- A corner unit with a major SE exposure and a less major SW exposure. Can be a scorcher on bright summer days.
- HVAC is right next to the bedroom (a concern for light sleepers)

Now onto the 600 sq.ft. 1 bed + den 1 bath unit.
In my personal humble opinion, this layout is one of the best ways to optimize the limited space you have. Here are the pros I see in it:

- The foyer/den room is very spacious
- The foyer/den area is kind of separated from the living/kitchen area so when you come into the apartment, your'e not immediately everywhere at once. Yet it doesn't create any wasted space with hallways.
- The bedroom, while it doesn't seem too much bigger than the 800 sq.ft. master bedroom, it is big enough here to be able to fit a dresser and still walk comfortably around a queen size bed.
1582853005216.png

- Kitchen/living room area feels a lot more spacious than the 2-bed layout.
1582853850949.png

- Kitchen can be psychologically separated from the living room by putting a bar/island between the two. This solution does not destroy the open concept and spaciousness the area offers.
- The kitchen is fully functional, lots of pantry/cupboard space
1582852914489.png

- The balcony is not too big nor is it too small.
1582853517013.png

- The den is spacious enough for it to be converted to a small child's bedroom. So for a tiny 600 sq.ft. apartment, this layout actually offers a livable option for a young family. Here's an example:
1582852744572.png

- Only one side of the unit has window walls; SW exposure. Plenty of light but it's rarely too bright/hot in the unit as the result.
- The walk-in closet feels more spacious than the 2 bedroom unit
- Lots of solid walls
- HVAC is away from bedroom/living room areas

As the result, I personally think that the 600 sq.ft. unit is actually much more livable than the 800 sq.ft. unit. If you're willing to sacrifice the 2nd bathroom and the 2nd bedroom privacy, you get a 1.5 bedroom unit where you don't feel crammed all the time and where you have solid walls around which you can put your furniture in any way you'd like.

we like the overall layout. 2nd bedroom will be for daughter. Not entirely sure what to do with the den....maybe add a door / single bed? Kitchen storage also lacking a little bit.

Any ideas/suggestions? We meet with builder in a couple months to discuss upgrades / modifications.

it's pretty good as-is. a modular sofa bed/desk/storage would be perfect for the den

I'd install a tall shallow-wide pantry (estimate 8" x 15" with the door facing the windows to allow easier access) that would square off the W/D corner, and get an island with drawers.

I would not put a bench against the north wall in the dining area as suggested, if you go with an island as it would be too crowded.
A round dining table (no larger than 42") or rectangular table (60" x 30") in the center of the room would leave enough circulation space.

@Full Metal Junkie I’ve never understood the large kitchens and bathrooms these small condos have. on the above 600sqft unit, I would get rid of the tub, put in a shower stall and a compact sink, thus reducing the bathroom sqft by half. Next, cut the kitchen down, I want a slim fridge and small stove and dishwasher, reduce the counter space. And storage is a person‘s worst enemy as it encourages acquisition of stuff, look at your own counters and cupboards and you’ll see that horizontal surfaces can’t exist in a vacuum, they attract clutter. So I want minimal storage, just give me space for tableware and cookware dry goods.

Now that we‘ve minimized the bathroom and kitchen we have space for living.

I’ve never understood the large kitchens
As someone who actually cooks, I can assure you that the kitchen the 600 sq.ft. layout offers is the minimum size required for a functional kitchen. Anything smaller doesn't work. Now, if you're more of a takeout/delivery kind of a person, then maybe the kitchen size is not that important to you. Call me old-fashioned, but I like my kitchens nice and large.

Now, if you're more of a takeout/delivery kind of a person, then maybe the kitchen size is not that important to you. Call me old-fashioned, but I like my kitchens nice and large.
I must admit I assume that most condo dwealers, especially anyone single and young are takeout/delivery/eat out people.

Back