News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Wood beams?? I mean I'm sure they know what they're doing, but how long will those last, or least stay in nice condition exposed to the elements like that?

Wow, yea I didn't notice that they were wood beams, I thought that the wood beams were only inside. But like you said they probably know what they are doing.:)

ago3-2.jpg

Notice the single pane of glass that has been worked on. They fixed those two that were "off". :)

Wood beams?? I mean I'm sure they know what they're doing, but how long will those last, or least stay in nice condition exposed to the elements like that?

The "curl" is going to be clad in glass on the front although the back will still be exposed. Nonetheless, I'm sure the wood is treated to survive the elements.

Btw, now I'm beginning to understand why Gehry has made it known that he doesn't think he'll do any more work in this city.

He's extremely limited by his clients cutting corners so I'm not surprised.

Metro:

These are fire escapes - there was never any intent to have them done in metallic cladding. The actual stairs in the building will be clad in stainless and curved glass.

AoD

The tonal differences in the blue Japanese titanium are minimal. The fully clad east side of tower hasn't appeared to adapt much to changing lighting conditions, whenever I've dropped by to take a look.

I'm not too big on the stairs either, but they should be alright.

I don't think Gehry cares to do anymore work in this country because there likely won't be a massive budget project in which he's allowed to do pretty much anything he wants.

It's too bad. I think he could've done a nice little office building for Project Symphony.

Fire escapes or not, they still figure very prominently along the Grange façade.

I should also add that spiral stair cases don't make for the best kind of fire escape.... you move away from the fire, then move closer to the fire... then move away... then come closer...

Typically you don't exit where the fire is - you're more likely to exit from a part of the building which is away from the fire.

Ground level on that side of the gallery is a real dog's breakfast of styles, including OCA's faux Grange wing from the 1920s, but Gehry tries to draw the eye upwards with his big window and spiral staircase and I think the distraction will work. The blue is certainly bold enough to make a big statement, except on days when the sky will match it.

That's true US, there's such a mish mash of styles on the Grange, it's a shame that Gehry didn't work on uniting this façade as well as he has with the Dundas side.

ago2-2.jpg

Perhaps they should just reclad the Parkin addition (left in white/grey) with red brick similar to the original grange house. Grow some vines and you got a good match.
The bottom would be a series of historical (and faux historical) buildings with the giant blue titanium Gehry addition hovering above.

I also noticed that on the far right (not pictured -- closer to OCAD), the building is definitely in need of some upkeep. The window shutters are rotting away and the interior that can be seen from outside is looking very tired. I definitely think that this part of the building should be used for a museum café with a patio on Grange park.

There's such a jumble of Parkin/Myers layering, on the west side and the south west corner in the park. Perhaps the next big reno in 20 years time will re-do the whole of that side?

I actually don't mind the Parkin addition. It is (was) the Barton Myers stuff of the 90's that I found cheap and poorly executed. Thankfully, the most offensive of this addition (the barn on Dundas) was completely removed in Gehry's plan.

I also think that the West side is ripe for a reno. Perhaps opening it up further to the street with transparent glazing as a work studio for artists would be the most appropriate. I believe I've seen something of the sort already going on below grade.

I also noticed that on the far right (not pictured -- closer to OCAD), the building is definitely in need of some upkeep. The window shutters are rotting away and the interior that can be seen from outside is looking very tired. I definitely think that this part of the building should be used for a museum café with a patio on Grange park.
That is OCAD.

I see the mish-mash more as a visual metaphor of the evolution of the building. Gehry specifically said he wanted to leave the Parkin corners and fans of the Parkin addition love the white cubes for what they represent in art. Gehry gutted the last half-ass renovations, and rightfully so, that part of the AGO history should be forgotten. I really think this is a extremely well thought out re-design. Every major feature seems to have some deeper meaning or historical reference and is not just for aesthetics value (unlike some of Gehry's other work). I've said it before, but I really think this is the most sophisticated Architecture in TO since the new city hall was built. I can't believe this is a building that I believed was the worst of the 'big' art galleries anywhere (obviously based on where I've visited); and to think the art collection has transformed just as much. Yay!

Back