News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

P.S. What is that bowl like structure on the far left, vertical centre of the picture?

That's the--what is it, a bank or something?--overlooking the Italian Consulate from the west; must be about 15 years old or something...

And incidentally, I'm curious as to whether the shutters in the Galleria were an engineering solution or an architectural solution. Most of The Galleria never really sees direct sunlight, being on the North side, and being in the shadow of the new tower.

Since Toronto's grid does not line up directly north-south or east-west, but is 17° off, the galleria will catch afternoon sun, especially in the summertime. A couple of posts with pictures taken on the 3rd and 8th of April indicate that even that early in the year, the sun will be streaming into the galleria:

Cell phone snap:

2386059869_f850e9d69b_b.jpg

Walked by it today, I'm really liking the looks of this. Believe it or not I'd never walked Dundas west of Bay St before, even though I walk around all the time. I had to snap a shot, the way it reflects the sky is great.

2399349363_b6fea84172_o.jpg

So - there you go - it may be an air conditioning solution too.

Thanks for the link (this looks like it will be very interesting. And full of decent art to boot.)

From the Globe:

BRANDING
A shimmering look for revitalized AGO

GUY DIXON

May 16, 2008

In anticipation of opening its massively renovated home this fall, the Art Gallery of Ontario unveiled its new logo yesterday: three perpetually jiggly letters designed by Toronto's Bruce Mau.

The two-dimensional design has a multicoloured effect around the edge of its letters, creating an optical trick meant to symbolize the vibrancy of the museum.

Contrasting with this is institutional-looking lettering, meant to reflect the permanency of the century-old museum.

The AGO found in its market research that the public has a similar perception of the museum as an institution that is old and yet is youthful.

The logo cost less than $100,000, relatively low as corporate branding goes, and is part of the overall $254-million price tag of the renovation.

It will appear on all of the museum's print material and signs, replacing the current "Transformation AGO" logo that was designed by Toronto-based firm Hahn Smith Design.

Arlene Madell, director of marketing and visitor services for the AGO, said that it is still being decided how and where the logo will appear on the outside of the building, once the construction hoarding is removed.

However, the front entrance will display the art gallery's full name, Ms. Madell indicated.

The deceptively simple logo was actually four years in the making.

Bruce Mau's design firm was originally brought into the project in 2004, although the designer has worked with the gallery for the past two decades on various aspects of the AGO's visual identity.

Mr. Mau has also collaborated on other projects with architect Frank Gehry, who designed the new museum.

The logo is said to have taken so long to arrive at because it entailed marketing research not only by the AGO, but also by Bruce Mau Design.

"Graphic identity reflects the brand," Ms. Madell said, emphasizing how important branding has become to museums as a way to reflect the kind of exhibits on offer and the overall gallery-going experience.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080516.wago16/BNStory/Entertainment/home

___

You can see the new logo here:

http://www.artmatters.ca/blog/index...y-A-conversation-with-Matthew-Teitelbaum.html

AoD

Ha ha ha! That is so boring and kindergarten design clich̩ that I have no emotion left but laughter. OMG.. the AGO had to hire Bruce Mau Рand paid him tens of thousands of bucks Рto come up with that?

The AGO may be kicking the ROM's ass in terms of execution of their physical makeover but the ROM totally takes it when it comes to their new identity design:

rom_logo.gif

ago-logo2.gif

I don't know what to think to be honest. The fact I could make it on Paint is one thing, but at the same time it has a cool vibe to it.

It looks like cheesy 1970s news station graphics. Something you'd see at the advent of the computers and colour TV age.

"The AGO, now in COLOUR"

Back