Good, I'm glad to hear that. It's a generational thing. (A next-generational thing, you might say.) Young nerds these days, they only get Galactica jokes.

Market Wharf: Shop... with Honour!

While Michael Dorn played a good character, I much preferred the 'Tribbles' on the original series.

tribbles.jpg

oh-oh..

The podium is ok, but whats up with the balconies?!

Please.. Peter... Tell me its just the rendering. The model wil look better...

Ok folks. Lets all hear it again. Short and and stought is going to be just ...fine?
After all. It is Peter Clewes. We all know that he can't do anything wrong.

Well, although I wished the tower had balconies the entire way around like PULSE in North York or AQUA in Chicago, I do love the podium, and the entire concept suits St. Lawrence.

Well, although I wished the tower had balconies the entire way around like PULSE in North York or AQUA in Chicago, I do love the podium, and the entire concept suits St. Lawrence.

Interesting comparison.
Imagine the Toronto planning commitee getting a hold of Aqua in Chicago. Now picture this building (which in my opinion is absolutely fascinating), suddenly shrunk down about a third. Tall and elegant does not work well with short and stought. Nature is funny that way.

Unfortunately the podium at Market "Woof" (Sorry, but this one's a dog) only seems to accentuate the new shortness of the tower all the more. The balconies on the tower look foolish and contrived at this height.

Let's try and keep in mind that 33 storeys and 109 meters ain't short.

The intentionally stubby rendering, which looks like a 10 storey building on a podium, has been cleverly rendered for maximum "approval". Not hard to figure out the strategy here.

I think if nothing else it's quite interesting. Certainly more so than his other work and 95% of the towers going up in Toronto right now.

Love the podium, would like to see more detailed 360 degree renders on the tower portion.

The balconies on the tower look foolish and contrived at this height.

I certainly would never want to see anything looked contrived.

What does contrived mean in an architectural context? Every building is contrived. Some are just contrived more beautifully than others.

This one rendering from the perspective of the corner at Jarvis and The Esplanade really emphasizes the podium - which it turns out is a rather large block with rather interesting punchouts for windows. The top two floors of the podium have something of a mysteriously veiled loom to them: it's very hard to tell just what the intended cladding is here. Maybe a lot of fritted glass?

Behind the podium we get a look at the alternately scalloped balconies at an angle that minimizes the effect of 33 floors: from other angles this tower will look much taller. Whether or not one believes the look of the balconies is foolish is entirely subjective, and Granny, you will find there are others who have not come to that conclusion. I'm surprised that this little glimpse does not pique your curiousity as much as it seems to have triggered your contempt. Do you really have enough information from this one render to render a verdict already?

It looks to me that we are going to get an interesting variation on the Clewes box here and I look forward to more angles and larger renders.

Back