39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Loew's Theatre, Yonge St., E side, N of Queen St. E. 1963 TPL
Loew's Theatre, Yonge St., E side, N of Queen St. E. 1963  TPL.jpg

Now, Elgin & Winter Garden.jpg
Poster 1921  TPL.jpg

Last edited:
When all is said and done, it might be a shame that they didn't retain the sign pylon (the 80s restoration had other period/stylistic priorities). And I can't help noticing the flagship class that the Heintzman shop projects--from the twilight of pianos as middle-class living-room fixtures. (These days, its equivalent might be...the Eaton Centre Apple Store?)

Not sure what happened here but very sad a beautiful piece of architecture got reno'ed into something ugly and generic

Take this statement and repeat it at least a thousand times and you neatly sum up Toronto's architectural development over the decades.

Here's a Toronto theatre, the existence of which I was unaware. I can find no online reference to this theatre, although an Empire theatre on Queen St. is mentioned briefly. Is this a mystery?
Empire Theatre, Temperance St., S side, between Yonge St. and Sheppard St. 1927 TPL
Empire Theatre, Temperance St., S side, between Yonge St. and Sheppard St. 1927  TPL.jpg

Temperance Street.jpg

Here's a Toronto theatre, the existence of which I was unaware. I can find no online reference to this theatre, although an Empire theatre on Queen St. is mentioned briefly. Is this a mystery?
Empire Theatre, Temperance St., S side, between Yonge St. and Sheppard St. 1927 TPLView attachment 273192

View attachment 273193
Is it the former Star Theatre?

Attachments

• 486B9C5B-BC25-48B4-8AB7-8C0086794D99.png
    486B9C5B-BC25-48B4-8AB7-8C0086794D99.png
    983.7 KB · Views: 263
Thanks for that fine research, LPCI. You've helped me find this link......
The TORONTOist web site has more at: https://torontoist.com/2013/07/historicist-the-darlings-of-paris/

Including: "One week in March of 1912, the Star Theatre announced that in addition to the Jardin de Paris Girls Company and Merry Minstrel Maids, the “world’s champion female wrestler” had been added to the show. According to theToronto Star, she “will meet all comers of her sex at every performance and forfeit $25 should she fail to throw them in ten minutes.”

Map of Star Theatre on Temperance
map - Star Theatre.jpg

Thanks for that fine research, LPCI. You've helped me find this link......
The TORONTOist web site has more at: https://torontoist.com/2013/07/historicist-the-darlings-of-paris/

Including: "One week in March of 1912, the Star Theatre announced that in addition to the Jardin de Paris Girls Company and Merry Minstrel Maids, the “world’s champion female wrestler” had been added to the show. According to theToronto Star, she “will meet all comers of her sex at every performance and forfeit $25 should she fail to throw them in ten minutes.”

Map of Star Theatre on Temperance
View attachment 273289
This should be a link to a lot of theatres.

Then. Dempsey Hardware. NW corner Shepperd and Yonge 1955 (built 1860). TPL picture.

Now. 10:30am today, Oct 1. New location is 250 Beecroft, about 1\2 km north of Yonge Shepperd. It was moved up here in 1989 or so.

Screenshot_20201001-115315_1.jpg

P_20201001_105740_vHDR_Auto_1_1.jpg

Man, my smartphone has officially replaced both my camera and laptop to post here. So convenient and easy now.

Last edited:

Back