News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The death of East York, as opposed to Scarborough, North York, and Etobicoke, is potentially a positive from amalgamation!
I think there are a few people who would disagree with your statement about the death of East York. The ridding it was in both provincialy and federaly are still called Beaches East York, the former Mayor of East York Michael Prue held it for a long time before he retired from politics.

A lot of the planning for the "downtowns" or "centres" were based on having a "rapid transit" line going through them. Scarborough had a "start" with the "Scarborough Rapid Transit" and its planned replacement with light rail on segregated right-of-ways. The old "City of York" is getting a rapid transit line along Eglinton Avenue West, which initially was to be the Eglinton West Subway, but is now the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.

A lot of the planning for the "downtowns" or "centres" were based on having a "rapid transit" line going through them. Scarborough had a "start" with the "Scarborough Rapid Transit" and its planned replacement with light rail on segregated right-of-ways. The old "City of York" is getting a rapid transit line along Eglinton Avenue West, which initially was to be the Eglinton West Subway, but is now the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.

I think it's important to note at a certain time these "Centres" were supposed to be downtown districts for separate municipalities, each with their own Mayor and city council under the Metro government. Growth was expected to be much higher than it actually has been.

The elimination of the Metro government has proven to be terrible for Toronto. Under that form of government, I think we'd be seeing much more sensible expansion.

I think there are a few people who would disagree with your statement about the death of East York. The ridding it was in both provincialy and federaly are still called Beaches East York, the former Mayor of East York Michael Prue held it for a long time before he retired from politics.
Not sure about historically, but the current riding doesn't include most of the area, or people, who would have been in East York.

A good chunk of the people who used to live in East York, are paradoxically now in the North York council area, rather than the Toronto-East York council area! A lot of people don't even know where East York was ... I see people calling the Gerrard Corridor "East York", and others who have no idea that Laird, Thorncliffe, and Leaside were all in East York!

It's dead, Jim.

Not sure about historically, but the current riding doesn't include most of the area, or people, who would have been in East York.

A good chunk of the people who used to live in East York, are paradoxically now in the North York council area, rather than the Toronto-East York council area! A lot of people don't even know where East York was ... I see people calling the Gerrard Corridor "East York", and others who have no idea that Laird, Thorncliffe, and Leaside were all in East York!

It's dead, Jim.
Yeah, I've had addresses wrong in Thorncliffe Park because they were in East York, even though I had no idea, but the city's logistical system is slowly transferring TP from Easy York to North York. They even removed the East York sign from Overlea and changed it to Thorncliffe Park. When in doubt, the city is Toronto.

Yeah, I've had addresses wrong in Thorncliffe Park because they were in East York, even though I had no idea, but the city's logistical system is slowly transferring TP from Easy York to North York. They even removed the East York sign from Overlea and changed it to Thorncliffe Park. When in doubt, the city is Toronto.
Canada Post switched to using Toronto as a city a while ago. If you look up an old East York post code on their website, it says the address is Toronto:
1604108082104.png

In East York and Toronto? Offhand, the only one that jumps to mind is Leslie - and that was by design.

Is there another example?
Leslie Street is just a continuation of the same street.

I meant in general such as Franklin Street, George Street, and Byng Avenue.

From the top of my head, I can think of Morningside Ave in Scarborough, and a local street called Morningside Ave in Swansea near High Park. I can also think of Church Street in Downtown, and Church Street in Weston. But we're kinda off topic.

From the top of my head, I can think of Morningside Ave in Scarborough, and a local street called Morningside Ave in Swansea near High Park. I can also think of Church Street in Downtown, and Church Street in Weston. But we're kinda off topic.
The off-topic was East York and duplication of street names with the Canada Post use of Toronto over East York. Canada Post still uses Scarborough for east of Victoria Park. So no duplication there.

I find it funny when people complain about the SRT transfer to the subway, little do they know the province intends on creating another replica of the exact same transfer procedure with the Ontario Line and Eglinton Crosstown.

Actually, the Ontario/Eglinton Line transfer will probably been even worse since the Eglinton line is even deeper.
We have yet to see the design of the transfer at Don Mills and Eglinton, but I guarantee that if it's as poorly planned a transfer as the Kennedy transfer is, people will complain. The speculation on that transfer has already been negative.

We have yet to see the design of the transfer at Don Mills and Eglinton, but I guarantee that if it's as poorly planned a transfer as the Kennedy transfer is, people will complain. The speculation on that transfer has already been negative.
The only way they'll care about this transfer being a mess is if it's electorally risky. If the backlash won't cost the PCs any significant amount of voters, they won't care.

The only way they'll care about this transfer being a mess is if it's electorally risky. If the backlash won't cost the PCs any significant amount of voters, they won't care.

The district that the station is in has voted Liberal for a long time, the PCs wouldn't care because it'll likely vote Liberal again next election.

Tbh, I think there could have been a better design for an elevated<>underground interchange at Kennedy. They could've add *more* direct escalator routes between the SRT and Line 2 platforms that completely bypass the bus terminal. All of the mixing of paths at the bus terminal level just slows things down, especially considering this is one of the busiest bus terminals in the city.

The district that the station is in has voted Liberal for a long time, the PCs wouldn't care because it'll likely vote Liberal again next election.

Furthermore, people living in the riding will have no reason to complain. They will board either the Eglinton line or the OL, dependent on where they want to go. No reason to transfer for them.

Riders boarding outside the immediate area will suffer because of that silly transfer. But those affected will be spread out across multiple ridings, and unlikely to sway any of the election results.

Back