News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Oct 31
Look like cheap plastic or aluminum handrail on the west side. Concrete barrier between the road and sidewalk.

50556851652_e64080d1bf_b.jpg

TTC moving along well with the streetcar tracks, almost all are in place and they should start pouring the concrete in next few days. The new concrete 'walls' between sidewalks and road are being topped with quite classy metal (?) railings that appear to match the original bridge railings.

Opinions will differ.

I was there today, sans camera........

I remembered these posts and had a close look.

I also knocked on the railing with my knuckles.

Definitely not plastic, I don't believe it to be aluminum either, at least of the typical variety. Metal, very solid, not hollow.

But doesn't match the type of the original railings (cast iron?).

I don't have a problem w/the choice, as the originals are still there as well.

But.....on the interior wall dividing the sidewalk from the road, they went with a plain concrete parapet-type wall.

That annoys me as it doesn't fit with the historical look of guard rail.

As the interior (sidewalk) portion would not be structural it would have been nice to see stone here.

I'm not delusional, I wouldn't expect solid stone, just a well done veneer/cladding.

Ah well.

As @DSC earlier noted, the original, historical railing still hasn't been touched for restoration/repainting.

Last edited:
I was walking across the Bathurst Bridge yesterday. Paving machines were on site and they looked as though they were brushing off the surface to be ready for the new asphalt paving. They may have done it late yesterday. The east sidewalk is still closed as they add new railings SOUTH of the heritage bridge (presumably to match the quite nice new ones on west side). They still show no sign of repainting (or replacing) the old railings on the heritage bridge part itself. I assume ''something' is planned but ... Still also need to install streetlights and put back the TTC overhead but it's clearly moving along well, I bet it opens (at least for traffic) before the scheduled mid-January.

Looks as though the TTC have reinstated the overhead so maybe the streetcars will really return soon. The TTC website says the bridge will be close "to the end of 2020."

Looks as though the TTC have reinstated the overhead so maybe the streetcars will really return soon. The TTC website says the bridge will be close "to the end of 2020."
The January 3rd 2021 new timetable has streetcars returning to Bathurst.

Meanwhile however, at the same time, they are starting to use buses on the west ends of 501 and 504, as they are finally starting work on the King-Queen-Queensway-Roncesvalles intersection, which is scheduled to last for 20 months.

1608766202426.png

Streetcar right-of-way? Will the single-occupant automobile continue to drive over the streetcar tracks, or will they be forced to their own lane?

The bridge opened on Christmas Eve, buses are now running on Bathurst St as opposed to diverting around the Spadina bridge. Just waiting on the streetcars to return.

I was walking on the bridge over the holiday and I notice that, though there are quite decent new railings elsewhere, the 'pedestrian railings' on the Sir Isaac Brock Bridge * part of the bridge have not (yet?) been replaced/repaired/painted. I have emailed Joe Cressy's office to see if they know why this has not been done yet.
*(Yes, that's the official name of the heritage span - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Isaac_Brock_Bridge )

EDIT: I should add that I also asked Cressy's office if they can get some $$ to put up a sign with the 'new' name! Not much point naming things and then not telling anyone!!

Last edited:
Bridge is now open to traffic and I see the streetcar power lines up as well. Overall looks very good. The painted bridge and new railings are a big upgrade. However, they seem to have left the original railings untouched. Not sure why they wouldn’t have painted them as well. Looks a little unfinished.
Also, I noticed some tagging already on the painted bridge wall which is unfortunate.
73B81E1F-B269-48C4-9509-BD9FF29289E1.jpeg
7EF1CDB5-A585-445D-BE0B-37FDFFFAA409.jpeg
F944DC28-B575-4103-8735-2557F9DC42E9.jpeg
429E4B33-92C7-45B0-8D3C-D2FE8C9038F1.jpeg
01073205-47A9-42A2-B9F1-EADC3AA1BBEC.jpeg
7CDCED92-07F6-4479-A39D-E63D46BCD725.jpeg
17F38731-445E-4AE9-8133-980CA752BEB6.jpeg
81368E00-01D0-491E-B7D8-3E314C91E39E.jpeg
574E010C-7549-4A23-B4B9-47BA0CB69153.jpeg

Back