News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Don't they all have spots where at the end of each run, that a car sits, without passengers, out-of-service?

We certainly see that on similar streetcars loops in Toronto ... where at the beginning of the loop the passengers get off, and then streetcars sit empty, sometimes for quite extended periods, before loading begins.
Some of the loops were built past the terminal stations, and thus the trackage would not have been used by passenger-carrying trains. But many of them were not, with the station platforms being served by only one direction.

Someone has created quite accurate track maps of the Paris Metro, and you can check them out here: http://cartometro.com/metro-paris/. It also includes historical trackage that in some cases has been removed entirely.

Dan

Reactions: max
And a tunnel with moving sidewalks to Main St subway station? Right? Right?

One can dream...

Actaully, the distance between the two stations is so far I think adding a better streetcar stop, like a small loop type thing would benefit the connection between the two stations greatly.

I find I can walk to between Main and Danforth stations quicker than the streetcar. Particularly when considering wait times for the streetcar to show up at Main, adding a loop would make that worse.

It really is too bad that the Danforth line wasn't shifted south at this point to allow a near seamless connection.

I find I can walk to between Main and Danforth stations quicker than the streetcar. Particularly when considering wait times for the streetcar to show up at Main, adding a loop would make that worse.

It really is too bad that the Danforth line wasn't shifted south at this point to allow a near seamless connection.

That likely would have created its own set of problems with expropriation up the wazoo.

The Bloor-Danforth Subway was planned in the late 1950s and built in the early and mid 1960s to replace an overcrowded streetcar line and feed suburban buses into a rapid transit network.

Meanwhile GO Transit was only conceived in 1963-1964 as a way to mitigate the need for provincial highway expansion, and intended as a three year trial starting in 1967, with a limited budget with minimalist stations, though, it quickly exceeded expectations.

The idea wouldn’t have even crossed TTC planners’ minds when the subway was being laid out.

The Bloor-Danforth Subway was planned in the late 1950s and built in the early and mid 1960s to replace an overcrowded streetcar line and feed suburban buses into a rapid transit network.

Meanwhile GO Transit was only conceived in 1963-1964 as a way to mitigate the need for provincial highway expansion, and intended as a three year trial starting in 1967, with a limited budget with minimalist stations, though, it quickly exceeded expectations.

The idea wouldn’t have even crossed TTC planners’ minds when the subway was being laid out.

I don't disagree with the substance of what your saying; but for clarification, Line 2 was planned as Keele to Woodbine; Main was the first extension.

Woodbine opened in 1966, Main in 1968.

Main would have been built in the late 60s and presumably planned a few years earlier.

But you can see a difference in scale at Main vs Woodbine indicating different planning period.

None of which changes your material point, which is that GO was started after Main was planned and during Main's construction.

I don't disagree with the substance of what your saying; but for clarification, Line 2 was planned as Keele to Woodbine; Main was the first extension.

Woodbine opened in 1966, Main in 1968.

Main would have been built in the late 60s and presumably planned a few years earlier.

But you can see a difference in scale at Main vs Woodbine indicating different planning period.

None of which changes your material point, which is that GO was started after Main was planned and during Main's construction.
Somewhere on the Internet, I've seen a self-published book from one of the architects (figuratively) of implementing the first GO line, and they had an early meeting with TTC about the station location ... and the answer was, it's already too late.

Ah, here it is https://web.archive.org/web/2014032...com/books.php?action=nextchapter&bid=63&cid=8 called "Building GO-Transit, The rail commuter initiative of The Government of Ontario & Canadian National" © 2004 Wilfred Sergeant

"At the same time that the commuter service was being planned, the TTC was advancing plans for the construction of the Bloor Subway line, that was to follow under Danforth Main, a short distance north from the CN tracks. It would have been an advantage, if we could have had a convenient interchange station between the two lines. Since the CN line offered no possibility of relocation to come closer to Danforth Main, we discussed with the TTC whether the alignment of the subway could be diverted to come close to the CN tracks. Unfortunately it was already too late, and the designs were already committed. Passengers arriving from east or west at the Danforth station now have to walk about 300m to reach the Bloor line subway station."

Last edited:
received_757755571823760.jpeg
received_123913452890541.jpeg

Renders for Woodbine GO from the City of Toronto!

Somewhere on the Internet, I've seen a self-published book from one of the architects (figuratively) of implementing the first GO line, and they had an early meeting with TTC about the station location ... and the answer was, it's already too late.

Ah, here it is https://web.archive.org/web/2014032...com/books.php?action=nextchapter&bid=63&cid=8 called "Building GO-Transit, The rail commuter initiative of The Government of Ontario & Canadian National" © 2004 Wilfred Sergeant

"At the same time that the commuter service was being planned, the TTC was advancing plans for the construction of the Bloor Subway line, that was to follow under Danforth Main, a short distance north from the CN tracks. It would have been an advantage, if we could have had a convenient interchange station between the two lines. Since the CN line offered no possibility of relocation to come closer to Danforth Main, we discussed with the TTC whether the alignment of the subway could be diverted to come close to the CN tracks. Unfortunately it was already too late, and the designs were already committed. Passengers arriving from east or west at the Danforth station now have to walk about 300m to reach the Bloor line subway station."

Excellent find and share!

View attachment 293012

Renders for Woodbine GO from the City of Toronto!

This image caught my attention...........what appears to be 4 flights of stairs to reach the overpass.

If that's accurate, I hope they're contemplating escalators.

As typical elevator provision would insufficient.

Good god, why is there a UPX platform at this station...

Right.

Lets take the X (Express) out of the UPX.

Its like people can't see 5 feet infront of them into the future, about GO-RER.

Nope, UPX is the rapid transit that only exists in the world and will ever exist, so we must have it.

Children.

One of the ideas thrown out there by GO's operations staff was that VIA trains would also stop here. This would allow a much more convenient connection to the airport to travellers from the west.

Dan
Exactly. I’m fine with a UPX station here until GO RER is built/operating. With Pearson’s Union Station West project delayed due to COVID, Woodbine GO will be an excellent airport hub in the meantime, with transfers to the UPX as a “last mile” remedy.

I’m curious what the final station name will be? Obviously the TTC already has a “Woodbine”, so I wonder if it will be “Woodbine-Highway 27”? I think “Woodbine-Pearson Gateway“ would be cool too.

Back