Out of curiosity, how long do you project it will take to build each building? Total project?
What could the price psf average and how long would it take to get to 70% sales?

I'm going to keep trying to either get back to the previous Gehry Partners design or at least argue the latest jumble is awful. Let me offer some examples of huge building groups that are exciting to look at because their immensity also has some coherence. M1, M 2 and M3 in Mississauga are starters. Also the completed 1-7 Yonge Street, viewed from the south east through the park. Here's another:

Attachments

• 16a20e37bd9e295e3b8ed05afb05a496coherent.jpg
    16a20e37bd9e295e3b8ed05afb05a496coherent.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 190
I'm going to keep trying to either get back to the previous Gehry Partners design or at least argue the latest jumble is awful. Let me offer some examples of huge building groups that are exciting to look at because their immensity also has some coherence. M1, M 2 and M3 in Mississauga are starters. Also the completed 1-7 Yonge Street, viewed from the south east through the park. Here's another:

Here's another what? Was there supposed to be a photo?

Gehry apparently wanted it made of stone which would have taken this building to a whole other level. The facades are sometimes used for art displays at night- the residents in his towers across the street will be getting quite the lightshow on some evenings.
It was also a mismanaged farce until Hines took over construction management halfway through. On the plus side, that started a relationship which gave the world the DZ Bank Building, among others: https://arcspace.com/feature/dz-bank/

Event Information: Mirvish/Gehry Toronto Community Consultation

Date and time:Tuesday, February 9, 2021 7:00 pm
Eastern Standard Time (Toronto, GMT-05:00)
Change time zone
Duration:2 hours
Description:
Community Consultation Meeting to review minor changes to the previously approved application at 260-270 King Street West and 274-332 King Street West, commonly known as Mirvish/Gehry Toronto.

Those swooping buildings are so nice. It a shame that the swooping part faces the lake. I get that Toronto likes its picture postcard layout but it’s only good as that. Buildings should be made to be enjoyed from all angles. And its best side faces away from the city with a majority of humans viewing it will see. Unless you're just the lucky ones who live on the islands. Great render still. Just my thought on those two buildings.

What I'm worried about - more than anything on this scheme, is value engineering.

Gehry has a apartment building under construction at the Battersea Power Station development in London right now, and honestly - it looks real bad. Cheap shoddy construction. A lumpy wavy design does not automatically make a good building!

Cheap shoddy construction.
This is usually the decision of the developer and not of the architects involved to my understanding. And we'll unlikely be getting anything like that project overall here.

This is usually the decision of the developer and not of the architects involved to my understanding. And we'll unlikely be getting anything like that project overall here.
Oh I know - but Toronto has so many examples of nice conceptual towers by decent architects ruined by value engineering, spandrel and cheap looking curtain walling. Just afraid of the same thing happening here! Yes, I know Great Gulf isn't the worst culprit of this...

(as an aside, it's becoming common in London to mandate architect retention clauses into the Planning Permission - ensuring that the design architect delivers/co-delivers the approved design - rather than it being handed off to a firm that cuts costs to the bone to make money)

Last edited:

Back