News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I do believe that’s in front of the Toronto Star building. Look at all the window washers!

The building with all the window washers is Commerce Court North. (still with us today!)

The Star building which was at 80 King St. West, where First Canadian place is today; and yes, I think that's a good match.

This photo is dated 1930, The Star building was finished in 1929.

Supposedly CCN was finished in 1931, but looks pretty finished there to me!

A good photo of both of them can be found here:

1612659407748.png

From : http://davidhayes.ca/2019/09/toronto-stars-art-deco-treasure

The building with all the window washers is Commerce Court North. (still with us today!)

The Star building which was at 80 King St. West, where First Canadian place is today; and yes, I think that's a good match.

This photo is dated 1930, The Star building was finished in 1929.

Supposedly CCN was finished in 1931, but looks pretty finished there to me!

A good photo of both of them can be found here:

View attachment 298762
From : http://davidhayes.ca/2019/09/toronto-stars-art-deco-treasure
http://davidhayes.ca/2019/09/toronto-stars-art-deco-treasure
One of the things I remember from when my father worked at the Toronto Star starting in the 60’s, was the restaurant to the right of the front entrance....in the photo it is Goodleighs.

My memory of the Bank of Commerce Building is that, upon completion, it held the record of "the tallest building in the British Empire."

Correct.

Not sure how long that lasted..........but was true for a bit.

Correct.

Not sure how long that lasted..........but was true for a bit.
I think it held that title until another "Commerce" building was built (in Montreal in 1962).

Because of the date, I'm wondering if those platforms were for window washers or for construction workers.

Does anybody remember an underground “theatre” on the east side of Yonge, south of Bloor in 1970? It was in the basement of the building. I believe the building occupied a street corner. I watched the film Altamonte with the Rolling Stone’s disastrous concert, there.

Does anybody remember an underground “theatre” on the east side of Yonge, south of Bloor in 1970? It was in the basement of the building. I believe the building occupied a street corner. I watched the film Altamonte with the Rolling Stone’s disastrous concert, there.
Sorry, no luck......but while searching for your mystery theatre on Yonge, I found this interesting image of
a theatre on Bloor (near Bathurst) that's now changed slightly.

Bloor:Palace.jpg

Cinecity, in the former Postal Station F building at Yonge & Charles, was a bit of an Art House and I think the screen was downstairs though I'm not 100% certain.

Cinecity, in the former Postal Station F building at Yonge & Charles, was a bit of an Art House and I think the screen was downstairs though I'm not 100% certain.
Close, but I don’t remember such a grand building. We went in a back or side entrance. Nothing grand.

The Palace Pier at the mouth of the Humber. 1920 A court issued an order of foreclosure. The property, originally intended for an amusement resort, had been vacant and unfinished seven years. TPL
The Palace Pier at the mouth of the Humber. 1920   A court issued an order of foreclosure.  Th...jpg

'Everybody's crazy'. This is only part of the mass of Beatle-lovers who descended on Maple Leaf Gardens​

to get tickets for their heroes' appearance here on Labor day. 1984 TPL​

'Everybody's crazy'. This is only part of the mass of Beatle-lovers who descended on Maple Lea...jpg

Looking at the vehicles and clothing, I'm not convinced that is 1984. I believe the round police shoulder patch came in around 1965.

Back