News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Stinson planning giant tower as part of Connaught development

May 21, 2008
By WADE HEMSWORTH
The Hamilton Spectator
... a 24-hour coffee shop and a 24-hour grocery store...

Another Tim Horton's for Hamilton.

well, good for Harry and good for the city of Hamilton...

/not likely to ever be built
/but wish them luck just the same :p

Stinson planning giant tower as part of Connaught development

May 21, 2008
By WADE HEMSWORTH
The Hamilton Spectator

<snip>

The tower project would reach a height equal to 100 storeys, with about 80 floors of usable space and the narrow top of the spike reserved for wind turbines and other mechanical elements.

“It’s inefficient, but it gives the whole thing its punch,” he said.

Look for Harry to really push the inefficiency during the sales drive. "We're going to build in the absolutely most useless wind turbines we can find - plus they'll fold away into the wall."

You know, you can't beat the Urban Toronto Forum for front row seating for shows like this, even, it now seems, touring shows as this one has become.

Poor Hamilton (seriously). I really hope that he does not inflict as much damage on the good folks of that city as he did here in TO to a host of 'investors'.

By the way Judy Marsales will be the real estate broker for the condos. She's very well known in Hamilton, a former MPP and has one of the largest real estate office in Hamilton. It'll be her job to sell the condo units for the Connaught project, basically she'll be running the sales office.

Well, even if he just renovates the Royal Connaught, it'll be a boon for Downtown Hamilton.

Does Stinson pay architects to design these buildings? Where are these designs coming from? I must say that tower looks rather impressive in the rendering, but rather expensive to build for the Toronto market, let alone Hamilton.

Harry reminds me of the monorail salesman on the Simpsons.

monorail.gif

The inspiration for the pyramid design for the condo tower is from Gore Park, Royal Connaught is across from Gore Park. In one of the renderings unveiled yesterday it shows that if the tower was tipped over it would match Gore Park's triangle shape.

Financial Post

Link to article

Stinson plans Canada's tallest apartment building

Trumped by the Donald in Toronto, Stinson now looks across the lake to Hamilton

Joe Schneider, Bloomberg Published: Thursday, May 22, 2008

Developer Harry Stinson is planning to build Canada's tallest apartment building in Hamilton, Ont.Nathan Denette/National PostDeveloper Harry Stinson is planning to build Canada's tallest apartment building in Hamilton, Ont.

Harry Stinson, the former Toronto developer who unsuccessfully challenged Donald Trump to build Canada's highest apartment building, is trying again. This time in Hamilton, Ont.

Stinson on Thursday unveiled plans for a 1,000-foot (305-meter) tower in the shape of a slim pyramid as part of a $300-million project at a hotel first opened in 1916 in downtown Hamilton, 66-kilometres (41 miles) southwest of Toronto. Apartments on the top floors will sell for more than $1-million, he said.

The Royal Connaught Hotel project aims to revive Hamilton's city center, which has been dormant for decades, Stinson told business owners and local politicians. Hamilton, with a population of 505,000, is best known as Canada's steel city and the home of Dofasco Inc., a unit of ArcelorMittal, the world's biggest steelmaker.

"Steel mills are an image of the past," Mr. Stinson said. "Hamilton is sort of this forgotten city."

Mr. Stinson had to scrap proposals last year for twin towers in Toronto's financial district, one an 81-story building, after failing to pay a mortgage on the land. The project would have surpassed a 70-story condominium Trump had planned a block away.

Trump's tower has been scaled down to 57 stories, and is under construction. Mr. Stinson's Sapphire Tower has been shelved, with Sapphire Tower Development Corp. having been placed in bankruptcy protection July 20, one of Mr. Stinson's four companies that sought protection from creditors last year.

Mr. Stinson expects to raise $20-million in initial funding for the Hamilton project through a private bond sale. Renovations will take about two years and construction of the tower will follow and take about 18 months, he said.

'Emotionally Drained'

Mr. Stinson said in an interview he was "emotionally drained" and looking for a new start after the Toronto developments failed. He considered New York and Los Angeles, before deciding on Hamilton.

"Things were happening" in New York and Los Angeles, he said and "nothing was happening" in Hamilton, where business people had been sitting on downtown properties for decades without developing them.

He's starting the project by converting the Royal Connaught into a mixture of hotel rooms and condominiums, which will start at $199,000 for a 600-square-foot unit, less than half the price of similar units in Toronto.

The plans echo the King Street development he oversaw in Toronto to create The Suites at 1 King West, a luxury condominium-hotel.

Units in the tower will begin at $300,000, he said.

"We have been trying to put Hamilton on the map," Hamilton real estate broker Judy Marsales said. "This'll do it."

I used to love walking to the edge of the escarpment at night at gazing at Hamilton's eternal flames (flames atop the steel mill exhaust chimneys). How cool would it be for something like an eternal flame atop a 1000ft building, like the Pharos of Alexandria.

I made a Sketchup model of the Connaught Tower...

Link to model

Here's a quick rendering of the model superimposed on a view I took from the rooftop of the Hamilton Conservatory for the Arts during Doors Open Hamilton last year.

2514868371_b5e044eb19_o.jpg

The $180-million pyramid project
Developer's comeback bid in Hamilton combines hotel and 305-metre condo tower

LORI MCLEOD
From Friday's Globe and Mail
May 23, 2008 at 4:38 AM EDT

Developer Harry Stinson is attempting a comeback with his second try at creating the country's tallest occupied building - a proposed 305-metre pyramid to be located in downtown Hamilton.

Mr. Stinson once faced off against Donald Trump in Toronto for bragging rights as builder of Canada's tallest residential tower. That dream ended during an ongoing and highly publicized battle with business partner David Mirvish, which resulted in Mr. Stinson putting some of his companies under bankruptcy protection last year.

"I'm not obsessed. Certainly it's a nightmare that I can't put out of my mind, but I am trying to keep myself busy moving along," Mr. Stinson said.

While the situation remains unresolved, Mr. Stinson said, he's eager to proceed with the Hamilton venture, part of a two-phase plan that includes the restoration of the city's historic Royal Connaught Hotel. The estimated cost of the entire project is $180-million.

Harry Stinson’s proposed high-rise pyramid, shown in this artist’s conception, would be Canada’s tallest residential tower. He plans to renovate the historic Royal Connaught Hotel, keeping five floors as hotel rooms and turning the top nine into condo-hotel units. The tower, which would have 500 condo units, would be built concurrently and be connected to the first building.

His plan is to renovate the 12-floor hotel, including the addition of a two-storey penthouse, which he purchased along with an adjacent property for $9.5-million. The bottom five floors will remain hotel rooms, while the top nine will be residences including condo-hotel units.

Concurrently, he proposes constructing the soaring tower, which would have 500 condo units and would be connected to the first building.

On June 7, Mr. Stinson plans to open an off-site sales office to market the 300 units that will be up for sale in the hotel building. Units will start at $199,900.

Mr. Stinson said he's optimistic Hamiltonians will be less interested in his troubles in Toronto than they will be in the merits of the project.

"A purchaser senses when the builder's giving it a half-hearted effort. I'm not. I'm going into this full stage, guns blazing, passionately. And I think they're intrigued by that," he said.

"I'm motivated too. I've got to pull this thing off."

Mr. Stinson said he will seek construction financing after the units sell out. He has raised funds for the project through the private sale of $50,000 bonds at a yield of 18 per cent - terms he said he'd like to improve upon as soon as possible.

Back