News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Here's the other guy who ran to Saskatoon hoping no one's heard of his errors.

smith-charles070419.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Randal_Smith

Cue: Runnin' Back to Saskatoon, The Guess Who

At least Harry Stinson never sent innocent people to death row in Ohio and many others to prison here.

^^

I'm surprised Mr. Smith is not rotting in prison. How this guy is free as a bird is beyond me.

Wasn't Stinson complaining he'd move to the US, where he'd be appreciated?

Is Hamilton really a step up from "mundane" Toronto?

Could a project this large really sell well in Hamilton?

Chicken-egg issue tough to crack

Which comes first, people or place? In beleaguered downtown Hamilton, a developer is trying for the latter
MELISSA DUNNE

Special to The Globe and Mail

May 6, 2008

Harry Stinson wants to see Steeltown give Hogtown a run for its money.

Toronto's dethroned condo king thinks Hamilton's down-on-its-luck urban core can become a hipster's paradise akin to Toronto's Queen Street West or Vancouver's Gastown.

"Hamilton's core reminds me of situations I've seen before - it's really different than the gritty image that has deterred people from living here," he says. "I'm not a chamber of commerce type of guy, but I've found myself getting involved in how to change the image of downtown Hamilton."

All it needs is a little TLC from developers and planners - and some people to live there, he suggests. And therein lies the chicken-or-egg challenge confronting those who are seeking to reinvigorate urban cores: How to attract people to live downtown when there's no (attractive) there there; or, the flip side, how to entice developers and small-business owners to invest, with the hope that (affluent) people will move there.

Mr. Stinson has expressed an interest in getting involved in the stalled redevelopment of two landmark downtown Hamilton properties that now sit empty: the former Royal Connaught hotel building and an early 20th century office and shopping centre known as the Lister Block.

"The Royal Connaught and Lister have become symbolic of inertia," he says. "If I can fix them up, that may have a multiplier effect."

The 92-year-old Connaught was closed in 2004 after a string of owners tried to keep it going. Now, it's Mr. Stinson's turn: In February, he agreed to buy it from local businessmen for $9.5-million.

Mr. Stinson says the deal has been "firmed up" and he has raised the funding from a wide range of private partners. When he takes possession at the end of June, he plans on converting the building into condos and a boutique hotel. He also plans to build two other buildings on the property, most likely a condo tower and retail space, including a grocery store. It will take between four to five years to complete all of the projects and they will be worth close to $300-million when finished, he estimates.

Like other mid-sized cities, Hamilton, with a traditional steel and heavy manufacturing sector, is trying reinvent itself as a hip place. It's not easy to do when empty parking lots, boarded-up buildings and a mall that has seen better days stand out in the downtown.

Just as Hamilton is trying to shed its underdog image, Mr. Stinson, too, is attempting to rebuild his persona. After his Candy Factory loft project on Toronto's Queen Street West strip ignited a condominium boom in the late nineties, he was dubbed Canada's answer to Donald Trump. Now, he's trying to bounce back after filing for bankruptcy protection last year. "I'm a battered reject from Toronto," he says, "which seems to make me more acceptable in Hamilton."

The developer has long been a proponent of downtown as a place where a diverse group of citizens can live, work, and play 24/7. While the current scene in downtown Hamilton may look bleak to an outsider, he sees the core as simmering with potential.

He says developers and building owners can be that spark if they choose to invest the time, money and effort. But he says many have a "schizophrenic pessimism" about the downtown: They will buy properties optimistic that they may "be worth something" down the road. But then they become pessimistic about the downtown and getting a return on investment and decide the property is not worth fixing up.

Before the sixties, downtown streets in Southern Ontario "were full of life," recalls Ron Marini, Hamilton's downtown development director. Today, downtown Hamilton is not much different from other mid-sized cities ravaged by the flight to the suburbs and decades of ill-advised planning and developments.

Now it's trying to undo or at least lessen the impact of some of those initiatives.

To accommodate the growing use of the automobile in the fifties and sixties, Hamilton converted many streets to one-way. In recent years, it has reverted some of them to two-way in a bid to make downtown streets more pedestrian friendly.

In the early seventies, Hamilton emulated many cities and opened the downtown Jackson Square Mall, which was added to in 1990 with the Eaton Centre.

Today, part of Jackson Square has been closed to shopping, while the remaining retail area houses mostly B- and C-class stores, says Pierre Fillion, a University of Waterloo urban planner.

Just 10 years after opening, the Eaton's centre was sold for 5 per cent of its construction costs, he says. Part of it, renamed Hamilton City Centre, now serves as an interim city hall.

The city has taken an aggressive approach to drum up some optimism and interest in the core, Mr. Marini says.

Since one of the biggest deterrents for developing in the core is dealing with city hall bureaucracy, Hamilton created its first downtown renewal division, which Mr. Marini heads, in a bid to streamline the process for developers.

The city also has a "very aggressive incentives program," he says, that has lent or committed to lend more than $26-million to developers who are converting commercial space into apartments, building new apartments, or renovating existing apartments. The goals is to create more than 1,450 residential units.

The thinking goes that if a city can get young professionals and empty-nesters to live downtown, retail will follow, eventually attracting office usage back to the core. But the problem remains: How to persuade people to live downtown when their favoured stores and jobs are in the suburbs.

"There is very little in urban services, in terms of places to get milk and food - it's all Timmy's," Mr. Stinson says, referring to downtown Hamilton and the Tim Hortons coffee shop chain. "The street life is dreary, there's bad dollar stores and cheque-cashing stores."

Still, the renewed interest from government at all levels and developers, such as Mr. Stinson, in fixing downtown cores has given many the sense that real change is on the horizon.

"Downtown Hamilton is on the rebound," Mr. Marini declares. "It has seen its worst days."

Why do they keep calling him a "Condo King"? I would say more like Baronet.

And the Candy Factory sales job was taken away from him, for whatever reason, before he was able to complete it. It was hardly his success story.

Stinson planning giant tower as part of Connaught development

May 21, 2008
By WADE HEMSWORTH
The Hamilton Spectator

Harry Stinson is planning a soaring signature building that would become a symbol of Hamilton in the same way the Eiffel Tower is for Paris, or as the Empire State Building is for New York City.

“Every city needs an icon,†Stinson said.

The L-shaped Connaught Tower would rise to a sharp and dramatic point 1,000 feet over downtown Hamilton — making it about three times the height of the Niagara Escarpment, and dwarfing downtown’s current giant, the Century 21 tower virtually across the street.

Stinson unveiled his plans at a reception Wednesday.

But before he can build the tower at the southeast corner of the Connaught site — now a parking lot — he plans to refit the old hotel, turning it into a hybrid hotel operation and condominium residence, with amenities that include a lavish lobby bar, grand ballrooms, a 24-hour coffee shop and a 24-hour grocery store.

Construction of the entire complex would cost about $180 million, the developer said, and would have an ultimate retail value of about $350 million.

Stinson said he has bought the former Liaison College property on John Street South and plans to add it to the Connaught complex, which he has purchased for $9.5 million in a deal that closes at the end of June.

Before then, he is planning to open a sales office near the property downtown to begin selling about 300 condo units in the historic hotel building. Those units in the upper floors of the hotel would range from $199,000 to $299,000, and would come fully furnished, he said. Meanwhile, the lower floors would operate as a boutique hotel.

Completing the hotel building — which Stinson plans to do within he next two years — would pave the way to build the tower by generating income and proving there is a market for downtown Hamilton properties.

“The elephant in the room is will anybody buy these? I can’t say that for sure,†he said.

The tower project would reach a height equal to 100 storeys, with about 80 floors of usable space and the narrow top of the spike reserved for wind turbines and other mechanical elements.

“It’s inefficient, but it gives the whole thing its punch,†he said.

The top units of the building betwen the 70th and 80th floors would each be single units with stunning views of the city, said the developer -- and would sell for the equivalent of a nice house in Dundas, he said.

About five storeys of the new tower would be reserved for the hotel operation, he said.

The entire complex would feature underground parking space for 1,000 vehicles, divided between conventional spaces for short-term parking and mechanical parking slots for longer stays.

A little bit of San Francisco for Hamilton.

How Las Vegas of Harry.

Is that an official rendering, or just somebody's guess as to what it will look like?

I think that will be a great signature tower for hamilton and actually give its skyline an identity; which it needs.

It's the final design for the tower. He unveiled the plans at Hamilton Club, dinner with a bunch of wealthy Hamiltonians.

I think it will be a vision and nothing more. I think Harry will end up moving from city to city with new visions with nothing to show from it. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe that I am.

Back