It's a done deal - I can't believe I get to see a subway built through leafy central Etobicoke! It's surreal. I remember the dark days when the Eglinton subway was cancelled in 1995 after already starting construction, though I believe that line would have terminated at Keele, well before entering Etobicoke.

It's a done deal - I can't believe I get to see a subway built through leafy central Etobicoke! It's surreal. I remember the dark days when the Eglinton subway was cancelled in 1995 after already starting construction, though I believe that line would have terminated at Keele, well before entering Etobicoke.
The Eglinton West Subway would've been another stub like the Sheppard Subway, except unlike the Sheppard Subway, it would've terminated in literal greenfields. The Sheppard Subway at the very least had Fairview Mall going for it. This kinda makes me wonder if we are actually living in the good timeline, because the timeline where the Eglinton Subway was built, it probably would've been a failure in terms of ridership, and extending it would've been a political nightmare, just like Sheppard is today.

So just to confirm, (I havent been keeping up with this as much as I should have) the portion that was just confirmed was from Renforth to Mount Dennis, and NOT the section from Renforth to Pearson?

Any idea when that section will be confirmed or even planned?

So just to confirm, (I havent been keeping up with this as much as I should have) the portion that was just confirmed was from Renforth to Mount Dennis, and NOT the section from Renforth to Pearson?

Any idea when that section will be confirmed or even planned?
The extension to Pearson entirely depends on the GTAA's ability to fund the planned Transithub at Pearson Airport. Unfortunately due to COVID that project is shelved indefinitely. The good news though is that Eglinton West is planned to open in 2031, and considering the extension to Pearson will be above ground (elevated/at grade), they have plenty of time to find the funds for this extension and to build it, and still have it open if not on opening day, then soon after opening day. There really is no rush.

So I assume that they dig the station pits before the tbm reaches it?

Nope, it's the reverse. They just start tunnelling without creating any voids for the stations. (As I said above, they excavate and pour concrete walls demarcating the ends of the station). That creates one long stationless tunnel.

For Crosstown, they came along afterwards and excavated downwards, to expose and remove the tunnel shell where the stations were to be built. Or they mined from below.

I believe I read that the Eglinton West TBM will be run from one end to the other. With Crosstown, there were three campaigns, one from each end, and one in the middle. The eastward TBM's were extracted on one side of the Cedarvale station and reinserted on the other, to avoid tunnelling under the Line 1 station.

- Paul

PS - I'm feeling really old writing this... it has been so many years since Crosstown tunnelling began!

Nope, it's the reverse. They just start tunnelling without creating any voids for the stations. (As I said above, they excavate and pour concrete walls demarcating the ends of the station). That creates one long stationless tunnel.

For Crosstown, they came along afterwards and excavated downwards, to expose and remove the tunnel shell where the stations were to be built. Or they mined from below.

I believe I read that the Eglinton West TBM will be run from one end to the other. With Crosstown, there were three campaigns, one from each end, and one in the middle. The eastward TBM's were extracted on one side of the Cedarvale station and reinserted on the other, to avoid tunnelling under the Line 1 station.

- Paul

PS - I'm feeling really old writing this... it has been so many years since Crosstown tunnelling began!
What's the chance that when boring is done we can get in a golf cart and drive end to end?

So I assume that they dig the station pits before the tbm reaches it?

Side note look at this time frame.View attachment 321342

Assuming that they use the same construction techniques as the Crosstown - No.

The station box end walls will be constructed in advance of the TBMs making it to the station site. (In the Crosstown, the most common method was a technique called jet grouting). The TBMs will then bore right through them and the station site.

The station excavation and construction will be left to the outfit who wins the next contract. They will dig the station pits and demolish the small section of tunnel within the station itself.

Dan

Does anyone know what the "At Grade Station" at Renforth will look like? I've seen the previous designs for when the line was all at grade, but what about now that most of it is underground? It'd be cool if it was elevated over the transitway in parallel to allow for quick transfers but still "at grade" with the road.

Does anyone know what the "At Grade Station" at Renforth will look like? I've seen the previous designs for when the line was all at grade, but what about now that most of it is underground? It'd be cool if it was elevated over the transitway in parallel to allow for quick transfers but still "at grade" with the road.
This is what we have so far. Not necessarily at-grade as in on-street. It looks like the station will be trenched. Beyond the station, the line becomes elevated to cross Hwy 401.

1621628775447.png

Its going to be trenched near the Transitway.

Z97qrNnbPo.png

The Eglinton West Subway would've been another stub like the Sheppard Subway, except unlike the Sheppard Subway, it would've terminated in literal greenfields. The Sheppard Subway at the very least had Fairview Mall going for it. This kinda makes me wonder if we are actually living in the good timeline, because the timeline where the Eglinton Subway was built, it probably would've been a failure in terms of ridership, and extending it would've been a political nightmare, just like Sheppard is today.
The airport corporate centre employment area doesn’t count I guess. Usage would be low west of Martin Grove outside rush hour. Maybe if they need to divert the 927 there to connect to the lrt.

Back