News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The alstrom ones are going to be used on the Finch lrt as far as I know none have been delivered yet.
The Alstom ones are also being used for the additional order for Ottawa - presumably manufactured in Brampton.

So I assume the photo above is of an Ottawa car off the same Brampton assembly line that is making the Finch cars.

The Alstom ones are also being used for the additional order for Ottawa - presumably manufactured in Brampton.

So I assume the photo above is of an Ottawa car off the same Brampton assembly line that is making the Finch cars.
They moved the production to Brampton a year ago. The initial stage 1 Ottawa cars were assembled at the MSF site. With that site not available to Alstom anymore, they needed another place for their assembly. Brampton made sense since they have a ML order and is closer to the GTA market.

They moved the production to Brampton a year ago. The initial stage 1 Ottawa cars were assembled at the MSF site. With that site not available to Alstom anymore, they needed another place for their assembly. Brampton made sense since they have a ML order and is closer to the GTA market.
All true. But doesn't address my question. How many have they delivered for Ottawa? And any yet for Finch?

Also, I'm not familiar with the differences between the Ottawa and Metrolinx versions of this car. Are there any other than cosmetic?

Also, I'm not familiar with the differences between the Ottawa and Metrolinx versions of this car. Are there any other than cosmetic?
The Ottawa ones run on 1500V overheads while the Finch ones are designed for the standard 750V.

All true. But doesn't address my question. How many have they delivered for Ottawa? And any yet for Finch?

The Metrolinx ones are grey black and white like the ones for the crosstown because a consultant told them that they should make them look like TTC subway tarins instead of having something to make them different.

The Metrolinx ones are grey black and white like the ones for the crosstown because a consultant told them that they should make them look like TTC subway tarins instead of having something to make them different.
I still find that funny. If only their consistency argument applied to Line 5's wayfinding.

The Toronto subway and legacy streetcar network run at 600V.

The Crosstown is 750V however, as it doesn't share any traction power substations with the legacy networks, and reduces the current somewhat compared to 600V which allows for thinner/lighter/cheaper overhead lines and feeders. I'd imagine the other Transit City lines like Finch and Hurontario are similar, as the switch to the Alstom Citadis vehicles came late in the planning cycle.

The Crosstown is 750V however, as it doesn't share any traction power substations with the legacy networks, and reduces the current somewhat compared to 600V which allows for thinner/lighter/cheaper overhead lines and feeders. I'd imagine the other Transit City lines like Finch and Hurontario are similar, as the switch to the Alstom Citadis vehicles came late in the planning cycle.
Yes, the LRT lines are using international standards to reduce costs/increase commonality - standard gauge (1435mm rather than 1495mm), 750V rather than other voltages etc.
More info here from this 2010 Star article.

Back