News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Attack the argument/policy/idea, not the person/people is a good way to think; and a constructive way to engage.

You really should practice what you preach:

FYI, the columnist you're reading here...............JJ McCullough is Canadian...............he's also an arch Conservative, anti-Quebec/French, and a complete and utter idiot who generally craps on Canada every chance he gets.

Attack the facts. Not the author.

That said, every column JJ writes contains misinformation and foolishness

We're human. Northern Light even admitted that he finds it hard to follow that on UT sometimes. Why bother attacking back?

It's the fruitless going at each other's throats when it's either, unnecessary, or there's a better more constructive way to put things, that has lead us to this point in society.

Social media is an echo chamber engineered around confirmation bias. We need outlets where pluralistic debate can still take place without immediately divulging to personal attacks.

Case and point, when slickpete replied to my comment, I think he somewhat misinterpreted what I was saying. I was not giving any vote of support to the PPC and I would never, ever vote for them. I have a laundry list of reasons as to why, but my immediate response was not to call him an uniformed bigot (which most people unfortunately would in this political climate would)

I can offer a reasoned response as to why some of the arguements presented are wrong in whole or part. Like the whole old racist white dude narrative. Maybe that's not true of all the candidates running, but the demographic breakdown would show the largest amount of support coming from rural regions made up of primarily white and religious groups of people. In the midst of that, there are undoubtedly racists, which is what leads to the entire party getting painted with the same brush. That may be unfair to certain PPC voters, but when the party goes to zero lengths to reign in and distance themselves from these antics, and accepts endorsements and support from literal known white supremacists (as was already pointed it out) it's not hard to see where the narrative about the PPC comes from.

Additionally, when you have candidates calling for the death of the standing PM, regardless of whether the candidates were asked to remove those comments, they've not been removed from the party which means clearly such ideology has some hold within the party, which is again, totally unacceptable.

All of that's not to say that there arent some points within the PPC platform that I agree on, but there's some points in everyone's platform that I agree on and the PPC has the least of those, and the most I happen to strongly disagree with.

Ahem. We don’t all agree. We don’t have to like each other. But if someone really rubs you the wrong way, consider blocking them rather than insulting them or demeaning them, whether that be blatant name calling or more passive aggressive put downs. Attack the idea, not the individual. / Mod.

You're kind to try, but it's a wasted effort KEithZ.
...even admitted that he finds it hard to follow that on UT sometimes. Why bother attacking back?
I have to agree with Bjays92, not point in engaging, better to just ignore.
We don’t have to like each other. But if someone really rubs you the wrong way, consider blocking them
Exactly right. I've had this fellow on Ignore/Block for ages and UT is much better for it.

Last edited:
I still dont understand why most people just assume the PPC is a group of white rural racist men, just look at their diverse group of candidates here in the GTA
If I was running a xenophobic, racist party I would also field POC to confuse and disguise what I'm about. There are millions of POC in Canada, finding a dozen or so willing to drink the Kool-Aid and put their name on a ballot isn't that hard.

Meanwhile, the PM says that help is on the way. Compassion works better than not answering questions.

Meanwhile, the PM says that help is on the way. Compassion works better than not answering questions.
G'ah Trudeau bugs. He promised to balance the budget by 2019, during a period of economic prosperity in Canada. When times are good you pay down your debts so that you're better prepared for the unexpected......like a pandemic.

He promised to deal with mobile phone and internet costs, promised a national pharmacare plan and electoral reform. He promised that every indigenous community would be off boil water advisories by March 2021. What promises from the 2015 and 2019 campaigns has Trudeau delivered on? I guess we have cannabis, smh.

LPC got my vote this election because of the climate plan. For all their other screw ups (and there are many), they have actually done decently on climate.

I got vaccinated before 2030 and like the idea of $10 daycare with another baby on the way.

LPC got my vote this election because of the climate plan. For all their other screw ups (and there are many), they have actually done decently on climate.

In addition to that, they got me with their strong investment in public transit, and the universal child care proposal.

I don't see any reason in the CPC platform to consider voting for them.

I want to see a carbon tariff. I would guess that most of the non-vehicular and home heating related carbon and GHG created by Canadians is done in the offshore factories that produce the things we buy. A government incentivized EV might make me feel that I'm helping the environment, if I'm ignorant of the true impact outside of Canada when it comes to batteries, etc.
In addition to that, they got me with their strong investment in public transit, and the universal child care proposal.
I envy your optimism, but why do you think this would happen any more than the LPC's pharmacare proposal?

Last edited:
When times are good you pay down your debts so that you're better prepared for the unexpected......like a pandemic.
even though I would never vote for liberals , not paying down the national debt and spending more during covid is a very smart move
it leaves more $CAD in the economy for private sector , the federal government doesn't need tax dollars to increase spending, taxes are only there to 1) create demand for $CAD (as taxes can only be paid in $CAD , 2) balance out the economy. and our national debt is in Canadian dollars , so we don't have to borrow from anyone but ourselves we (government)can just buy our own bonds. national debt = more assets for us , think about buying a house and going into debt , but them you have an asset the house
most politicians have a hard time explaining this to people or they just simply just don't understand. and is probably the one thing I don't like about the Conservative party when they talk about national debt and spending, I thought for a second the NDP understood this but when Jagmeet Singh was asked by reporters about how he was gonna pay for it , his answers proves he doesn't understand as well or thinks its unpopular to explain it to voters
good books to read

The Deficit Myth: Modern Monetary Theory and the Birth of the People's Economy​

Book by Stephanie Kelton

Soft Currency Economics II (MMT - Modern Monetary Theory)​

by Warren Mosler

The 7 Deadly Innocent Frauds of Economic Policy​

by Warren Mosler

Last edited:

Back