News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If it passes, which I'm very skeptical of.
As am I, but I’m truly hoping. IIRC, although it removes parking minimums, it’s actually not mandating reduced parking in large swaths of the city, so…it may get an easier ride?

I’m seriously crossing my fingers, but Toronto has disappointed me so many times before.

Don't forget to:

Make a favourable submission to the Committee.
Send a favourable email to the Mayor and your Councillor.

Doesn't need to be long, one well-written paragraph does wonders!

You can be sure those opposed will take the time to write!

How London developers responded to affordable housing requirements https://medium.com/sidewalk-talk/ho...s-401ed795fa89?source=rss----355679162549---4

In reading this, if developers here respond correspondingly then developers will begin to focus on sub 100 unit developments in the designated areas and larger developments outside and into the 905.

IZ may cause Toronto to get a lot more midrise.
Reading that article what shocked me most was how much development was in the 8-15 unit range. That is what the City of Toronto desperately needs.

Crackpots

DATRA.png

Captains of industry - who cares how long it takes them to get to work? They have a driver and their phone.
Tradespeople - let's get the roads relatively free of cars with one passenger so they can do their jobs.
Moms going to school - there are loads of moms taking their kids to school on foot or by bike every day, even in the winter. Even dads too, though probably not in the century this guy is living in.

My turn to satirize the "Davenport Triangle Residents Association!"
Crackpots
100%! This.
We strongly object to the City's agenda to further interfere with automobile viability in the city by reducing parking minimums of new and existing facilities.
We strongly object to the City's agenda to stop forcing people to subsidize a certain mode of transport (with huge negative externalities) on private property.
The trendy city war on the automobile is complete liberal naivety.
The reduction of space for metal boxes is completely naïve.
The city needs some viable traffic flow to exist and maintain its vitality.
The city needs huge metal boxes to exist!
If you want to reduce the number of cars on the road, restrict the commuters who can take transit instead of commuting into the city daily with 1 person per car.
If you want to reduce the number of cars on the road, then don't do shit!
People who live downtown don't drive around the city for pleasure. It is for practical everyday needs like deliveries, sales calls, tradesmen, taking kids to school, picking up groceries etc.
People who live downtown don't drive for pleasure, they do it because they chose to do so instead of taking viable options.
It is fine to use public transit (if it ever achieves the capacity needed for the crowds that do use it) to get to and from work, school, or an entertainment venue but try to pick up a case of beer on your bike in the winter.
It is fine to use public transit (which has greater capacity than roads can ever have) on peak, but try taking the bus which only ever comes every 10 minutes (horrifying) or buying a cargo bike.
The City Council has been congesting traffic non-stop with roadside patios, even though they are 80% unused and make the city look like the 3rd world
The City Council has been giving space to people, economic activity, and not metal boxes! This makes us look sooooo poor!
, and more bike lanes on every main thoroughfare where they would be safer on secondary streets not needing millions of barriers and traffic disrupting blockages.
And giving people options instead of forcing them to buy expensive metal boxes and fear for their lives while trying to get around the city, reducing space for cars!
We also have unrepaired streets full of potholes throughout the city, left to discourage driving, resulting in only driving out of necessity. Now it will be a further challenge to find parking.
We also have a maintenance backlog due to roads needing such a huge subsidy, so people won't just drive and impose congestion and pollution because they want to! Now, it will be a challenge to force people to build spaces for my car on their private property!
Circulation is the lifeblood of the city and it is naive to think cyclists and pedestrians will keep the city alive and viable.
Circulation is important, and it is naïve to think that people, instead of metal boxes, keep the city alive and viable.
They can enjoy life in the residential areas but the main thoroughfares need to keep things moving.
They can enjoy life in the residential areas, but these taxpayers shouldn't restrict my ability to have roads solely dedicated to me!
There are no captains of industry, or tradesmen taking a bike to work or mothers cycling their kids to school. The Council and City Committees need to get in touch with the real world.
There are no super-rich-people-who-can-actually-afford-a-car or tradesmen taking a bike to work or mothers cycling their kids to school (except there are, both in Toronto and around the world).

The Council and City Committees need to get in touch with the wealthy metal box-users and selfish assholes!
Davenport Triangle Residents Association
Davenport Triangle Metal-Box-Obssessed-Selfish-Assholes-Communists-Forcing-People-To-Give-Up-Private-Property-Doesn't-Care-About-Effects-On-Others Residents Association.

Wow, that was dumb.

Last edited:
Yeesh. All the city is proposing is a reduction in parking minimum requirements, not mandating that cars go away. And the reality is with the minimums removed, parking spaces in new developments will essentially become market driven; there's clearly a market for condos with fewer parking spaces. Just don't buy a unit in one of those developments if it's an issue?

Coming soon to a street near you? Why Toronto’s chief planner wants multi-unit homes in single-family neighbourhoods

Nov 22, 2021

Toronto’s chief planner is hoping to crack open the city’s long-impermeable “yellowbelt,” adding extra housing supply to neighbourhoods currently dominated by single-family homes.

In a new report headed to a city hall planning and housing committee this week, planning boss Gregg Lintern and his team suggest denser housing supply — duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes and, in some cases, walk-up apartments — can fit into lowrise neighbourhoods across the city.

The idea is a marked shift from the current rules, where roughly 70 per cent of Toronto neighbourhoods — the “yellowbelt” — only allow detached and semi-detached houses.

It’s an approach a variety of housing advocates, planners and experts have been calling on the city to take for years, and it’s still at the starting line, with consultations on multiplexes expected to run through 2022, and the final decision in the hands of elected officials.

But of more than 2,100 respondents so far to a city survey on the issue, 88 per cent back multiplexes citywide, and the new report signals support within city hall.

In advance of Thursday’s meeting, the Star spoke with Lintern, who stressed the issue wasn’t about changing the scale of neighbourhoods, but working within the lot and height sizes that already exist in those areas — trying to boost housing, as he put in, “inside the box.”

“People are probably familiar with monster houses ... maybe it’s six, seven thousand square feet,” he said. “We think, inside that box, you could have three or four units as an alternative ... You would carve it up differently, and actually be able to house a greater diversity of people.”

Remainder of Lintern's interview available on the Star's article page:

Coming soon to a street near you? Why Toronto’s chief planner wants multi-unit homes in single-family neighbourhoods

Nov 22, 2021

Remainder of Lintern's interview available on the Star's article page:

That part about the 6,000 sq. ft. homes is so succinct. It's crazy to me that those things are allowable but similarly sized buildings that actually increase population density aren't. Toronto should be encouraging multi-unit residential especially in the inner suburbs like Scarborough. I would like to see all the post-war bungalows and plazas lining the main roads replaced by midrise apartments, with smaller multi-unit buildings threaded throughout the existing street grids.

Now I actually quite like a lot of the older post-war homes, so part of me wants to see some stick around (especially the Victory Housing "strawberry box" style homes), but they're getting torn down anyway for hideous McMansions on a daily basis. We can certainly do a lot better than replacing them with oversized single family homes.

Now I actually quite like a lot of the older post-war homes, so part of me wants to see some stick around (especially the Victory Housing "strawberry box" style homes), but they're getting torn down anyway for hideous McMansions on a daily basis. We can certainly do a lot better than replacing them with oversized single family homes.
I couldn't agree more. Please send a letter to the PHC indicating your POV!

UT's own @AlexBozikovic has chimed in via the Globe and Mail on the new Zoning reforms proposed to Council.

Not paywalled at this time.

Back