I don't care what trains we get, just make them look cool and futuristic. That way, all the light metro disbelievers can be like: "Woah that's cool," and not like: "Oh, so it's just another streetcar?" 😂
I think the top priority is that they actually work properly (look at the Ottawa LRT fiasco) - looking 'cool and futuristic' is an added bonus but ....

Speaking of Hawaii, their Hitachi Honolulu Rail Transit vehicles are a good proxy of what to expect on the OL (albeit not from Hitachi). These trains are 78m long, 3.048m wide, and hold 780 passengers:

honolulu-metro-1.jpg

There have been several debates here how a next Liberal or NDP government would either cancel/delay/alter the Ontario Line... It seems as though the Toronto Star have given up on this election and calling an early Ford victory as we all have suspected and are gearing up for the 2026 elections instead. I guess the Ontario Line will stay as is and I wouldn't be surprised Ford announcing an extension North to Sheppard Line and the Sheppard Line extending to the SSE extension.

What a massive turn of events for the subway infrastructure under Ford. Is legacy will surely be cemented in Ontario

I don't care what trains we get, just make them look cool and futuristic. That way, all the light metro disbelievers can be like: "Woah that's cool," and not like: "Oh, so it's just another streetcar?" 😂
That's a bit of a stretch. Doubt they'd call the Skytrain a streetcar. O-Train, maybe. Finch West and surface sections of the Crosstown, can't really blame them.

There have been several debates here how a next Liberal or NDP government would either cancel/delay/alter the Ontario Line... It seems as though the Toronto Star have given up on this election and calling an early Ford victory as we all have suspected and are gearing up for the 2026 elections instead. I guess the Ontario Line will stay as is and I wouldn't be surprised Ford announcing an extension North to Sheppard Line and the Sheppard Line extending to the SSE extension.

What a massive turn of events for the subway infrastructure under Ford. Is legacy will surely be cemented in Ontario

One opinion piece does not equal the official position of the Toronto Star, to be fair. I'm sure there's other columnists would would write something very different. Also we're 6 months out from the election, but I guess because one writer at one newspaper has decided how it ends we should just be like "oh okay" and decide that's the result? A lot can happen in 6 months. Maybe Ford wins, maybe he has yet another major scandal. We have no idea. Regardless, i'd prefer we stop messing around with transit plans, whoever is in power. Let's just build something already.

I think the top priority is that they actually work properly (look at the Ottawa LRT fiasco) - looking 'cool and futuristic' is an added bonus but ....

The election is 6 months ago and the PCs are up a few points. Declaring the election over at this point would just be foolish. Campaigns matter. A lot.

Particularly with the ABC effect causing support to coalesce around the most credible non-OPC option.

Last edited:
One opinion piece does not equal the official position of the Toronto Star, to be fair. I'm sure there's other columnists would would write something very different. Also we're 6 months out from the election, but I guess because one writer at one newspaper has decided how it ends we should just be like "oh okay" and decide that's the result? A lot can happen in 6 months. Maybe Ford wins, maybe he has yet another major scandal. We have no idea. Regardless, i'd prefer we stop messing around with transit plans, whoever is in power. Let's just build something already.
One random opinion piece does not matter however an opinion from a Toronto Star writer speaks volume especially when its on the top of the Toronto Star website. Toronto Star leadership would not let that happen especially that they are anti-ford. Just my thoughts

One random opinion piece does not matter however an opinion from a Toronto Star writer speaks volume especially when its on the top of the Toronto Star website. Toronto Star leadership would not let that happen especially that they are anti-ford. Just my thoughts
The piece seemed very well written to me - other than the odd premise that Ford is cruising towards re-election. The current polling only gives Ford a minority - and not a strong one. The implicit assumption that the Liberals and NDP would let Ford continue to govern was bizarre.

But I doubt it will effect the Ontario line much, other than some tweaks here and there.

Currently poll aggregators give the Liberals only a 20% chance of winning, so the PCs are holding a lead right now. It's based on limited data however and is measured outside of an election period, which changes a lot.

We all know the federal liberals were polling for a majority prior to the writ drop this fall and we saw how that went. Things change.

As they stand right now though, the PCs would most likely return with a minority government.

Back