News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Sounds like they should find a new bus supplier (maybe foreign)

Maybe next time Viva needs to get new buses, the TTC can share an order for buses with Viva. That way TTC might be able to get well-designed buses at a discount.

I really don't mind the Orions so much. At least the climate control usually works. I do agree that the doors take an eternity to open and close. That being said, I usually only ride them on short routes downtown.

Another problem with the Orions: Oblique windows in the winter. The older buses don't have such a problem for some reason.

The TTC has to wash its buses much more often.

Anyway, the report is online, in the horrible HTML format. It's called "CUSTOMER INPUT REGARDING SEATING PREFERENCES" (you will have to click "view all" to find it.

Very basic summary:

It is recommended that the Commission:

1. Approve the following changes to the forthcoming order of 220 Orion VII buses, based on input gained from customer research:

· replace eight forward-facing seats with six inward-facing (perimeter) seats in the rear section of the bus;

· provide padded seats throughout the bus;

· install additional stanchions and stop-request buttons in the rear section of the bus;

2. Note that:

· the changes recommended in this report are those which staff believe can be incorporated into the design of the forthcoming order of Orion VII buses, but do not necessarily represent the best or final design for this bus;

· the TTC’s Vehicle Design staff will continue to do further work and research aimed at making the Orion VII bus more customer-friendly, including additional public consultation, pertaining to seating configuration, styles of seats, design and height of hand-holds, window operation, interior colours and materials, destination signage, and other design features, for possible incorporation into the retrofitting of the existing fleet of Orion VII buses, and into future bus orders and other vehicles such as streetcars;

www.ttc.ca/postings/gso-comrpt/

"replace eight forward-facing seats with six inward-facing (perimeter) seats in the rear section of the bus"

So what does this mean, technically? The middle and second last rows only will be replaced? I don't see how they can fit three sideways seats in where two forward seats once were, especially if the last row stays as is with 5 seats across. The biggest problem is the width of the stairs...if one person stands there, no one get up or down.

They had diagrams in the hard copy, but they don't show in the terrible TTC reports online. They should get with the times, and have PDFs.

That would be my guess anyway Scarberian. It won't help that much, probably a little, though.

new orion ttc buses

i have to say that while the new buses look great on the outside, the same cannot be said for the inside.

the seating in the back has been discussed a lot already and i have to side with those who dislike them. i am 5' 10" and when i tried the seats, i had barely enough leg room - this isn't a comfortable position to be in.

people who sit on the aisle seats, blocking the window seats, just don't want to get "stuck". if i were sitting by the window and someone else sat in the aisle seat, i would find it difficult to extricate myself on a fast moving/fast breaking bus without stepping all over someone's feet.

note that this problem is not limited to the rear seating. on more than one occasion, i have seen the same thing happen on the seats across from the rear doors.

one other thing that bugs me about these buses - the crowding on the lower level. people tend to get stuck in at least two places - one just behind the driver (usually a stroller/walker/shopping cart or just congestion) and the other is in the space between the stairs and the rear door. i know this happens on older buses, but it doesn't seem to be this bad !

anyway, this is my two cents worth ... thanks for letting me gripe !

new buses

got another gripe ...

this time it's about the placement of the windows at the front half of the bus.
when it's hot inside the bus and the air conditioning is not running, it is very difficult to open the windows. i think that i would have trouble at 5' 10" reaching the handle ... probably would have to stand on a seat to reach them.

that's not a good thing to do when the bus is in motion. standing on the seat with (dirty) shoes would also be a bad idea ... how many people would do that.

also, once the window is open, what would the air flow be like in the front half ? in current buses, the passengers sitting and standing by the open window get the benefit of a cooling breeze. would the same passengers on the new buses get the same benefit ? probably not.

The new buses are baking in the front when the A/C is off - not sure the point of running them with the A/C off ... last time I encountered it, the streetcar I'd just been on was much cooler.

Back