News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The Provincially run part of the system is not barrier-free. That's the f-ed up part of it. The province itself will only inject you if you supply an OHIP number, immigration status, etc.

Frankly, the entire system should be barrier-free. Appointments could require ID for confirmation, but this disease doesn't care if I have an OHIP number, permanent address, etc. This should be the province's goal, and not left up to 3rd-parties like Maggies and the UHN. Means-testing always sides with privilege.
According to the Provincial Booking site, if you do not have an OHIP card with a number (i.e. a photo card) you need to PHONE for an appointment (in Toronto 416-338-7600) . The City site says: "For all clinics, residents must bring an acceptable form of identification with them which may include government-issued ID (including non-Canadian and expired documents) such as a driver’s licence or passport, a piece of mail with your name on it, a pay stub or a student card."

According to the Provincial Booking site, if you do not have an OHIP card with a number (i.e. a photo card) you need to PHONE for an appointment (in Toronto 416-338-7600) . The City site says: "For all clinics, residents must bring an acceptable form of identification with them which may include government-issued ID (including non-Canadian and expired documents) such as a driver’s licence or passport, a piece of mail with your name on it, a pay stub or a student card."
Which basically excludes the unhoused, illegal immigrants, those with language barriers, etc.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having centralized QR codes. Not that anyone even scans them.
The QR codes aren't used in regards to anything to do with your rights as a human (like Healthcare).

They're a privilege for business to allow continued operation.

It is to prove IDENTITY and they accept virtually anything.
It's the proving that's the problem here.

You shouldn't have to prove anything other than you're a living human being (a potential mobile vector for this disease) with your presence.

Which basically excludes the unhoused, illegal immigrants, those with language barriers, etc.
Flip that glass half empty thinking around. So, the current system includes everyone who’s housed, a PR or citizen and anyone who can with assistance as necessary comprehend the program. Judging by our near 90% vaccination rate I’d say that includes the majority of us. That’s a good thing, not a negative.

It's the proving that's the problem here.

You shouldn't have to prove anything other than you're a living human being (a potential mobile vector for this disease) with your presence.
They want to ensure that a person is properly documented and is not popping in every day for more vaccines. Asking for some sort of proof of identity seems sensible to me when you are administering drugs and there is no evidence on what an 'overdose" might cause. Wanting proof of identity for a consultation is different and probably no real need except to allow the docs to examine if you are getting better or worse.

They want to ensure that a person is properly documented and is not popping in every day for more vaccines. Asking for some sort of proof of identity seems sensible to me when you are administering drugs and there is no evidence on what an 'overdose" might cause. Wanting proof of identity for a consultation is different and probably no real need except to allow the docs to examine if you are getting better or worse.
So fear of fraud should keep us from vaccinating without barrier? I prefer to think most people are good, rather than the inverse, and that most people wouldn't willingly over-vaccinate.

Sure, there will be people who take advantage of that, but there already are people taking advantage of the system in other ways. Undocumented immigrants are often forced to get access to healthcare and other services using fraudulent means already.

If someone suffers an "overdose" of vaccination, it's very likely that person will be identified by the time they get into the health care system, regardless. Putting barriers in the way only slows down our vaccination goals.

So fear of fraud should keep up from vaccinating without barrier? I prefer to think most people are good, rather than the inverse, and that most people wouldn't willingly over-vaccinate.

Sure, there will be people who take advantage of that, but there already are people taking advantage of the system in other ways. Undocumented immigrants are often forced to get access to healthcare and other services using fraudulent means already.

If someone suffers an "overdose" of vaccination, it's very likely that person will be identified by the time they get into the health care system, regardless. Purring barriers in the way only slows down our vaccination goals.

It's funny how we seem to have a system that is more worried about people getting vaccinated too many times over people using fake vaccination IDs, not enforcing vaccination requirements, etc.

AoD

Putting barriers in the way only slows down our vaccination goals.

Our vaccination efforts have, despite roll out issues, gone quite well.
The idea that identification requirements is materially preventing reaching vaccination goals doesn't seem to be supported by the numbers.

Our vaccination efforts have, despite roll out issues, gone quite well.
The idea that identification requirements is materially preventing reaching vaccination goals doesn't seem to be supported by the numbers.
If you want to fix your boat from leaking, you don't patch only 87% of the hole.

Our goal should be 100%.

Back