News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If you want to fix your boat from leaking, you don't patch only 87% of the hole.

Our goal should be 100%.

How about our goal be 100% of people who are supposed to be here. If you are illegally in the country, then you shouldn't be here. If you are a legitimate refugee or migrant worker, you are here under a program. If there is some sort of language barrier, there are all sorts of social agencies that can help with that. I don't adopt the view that 'no one is illegal'. Heck, some of the places that people are fleeing from to get here have tougher border controls than we do.

Also, perhaps they could provide an example or explanation to their statement that: “Black and brown and racialized people be provided vaccinations with dignity.”

How about our goal be 100% of people who are supposed to be here. If you are illegally in the country, then you shouldn't be here. If you are a legitimate refugee or migrant worker, you are here under a program. If there is some sort of language barrier, there are all sorts of social agencies that can help with that. I don't adopt the view that 'no one is illegal'. Heck, some of the places that people are fleeing from to get here have tougher border controls than we do.
Okay, so the virus can't spread through undocumented people. Right. Got it.
Also, perhaps they could provide an example or explanation to their statement that: “Black and brown and racialized people be provided vaccinations with dignity.”
FFS.

Will you just stop?

I'll take that as a confirmation they haven't stoped and it's just histrionics.

The government isn't preventing people from being vaccinated, outside of poor roll outs.
And identifying yourself isn't a significant roadblock to overall vaccination rates.

I don't subscribe to the "no one is illegal" argument - but when it comes to issues of communicable diseases, it's better to get everyone vaccinated regardless of their status - fear of vaccination leading to exposure shouldn't be a barrier, because guess what, if they get sick. we are still morally obliged to treat/hospitalize them - nevermind that they could be carriers spreading it around. It isn't like vaccination is a social program that will entice people to come here illegally anyways.

AoD

Last edited:
Okay, so the virus can't spread through undocumented people. Right. Got it.

FFS.
Well, they threw down the gauntlet to the healthcare system, its employees and volunteers.
I don't subscribe to the "no one is illegal" argument - but when it comes to issues of communicable diseases, it's better to get everyone vaccinated regardless of their status - fear of vaccination leading to exposure shouldn't be a barrier, because guess what, if they get sick. we are still morally obliged to treat/hospitalize them - nevermind that they could be carriers spreading it around.

AoD
I get your point, but what system do adopt; identify yourself if you want? If nothing else, we would lose a lot of the data that people seem to love to pore over, such efficacy of vaccines against emerging variants, source of hospitalizations, etc. Heck, if they set up vending machines that you could press your arm up against, we still wouldn't get to 100%.

I just got my booster about 2 hours ago. Because of my age, I got a full dose vs. the missus getting the booster dose. I suppose absent me or her providing any personal information, it might have been a bit of a crap shoot. Science is evolving but science needs data.

While I get that if someone is here illegally they are justifiably paranoid, but some people seem to have this fear about law enforcement, including immigration, being able to freely access any database or personal information they please. It doesn't work like that. Heck, there are multiple databases at both the federal and provincial level that don't talk to each other.

I'm talking about the "I'm just asking questions"-line of trolling. Pretty sure you're not looking for an actual answer.

You made a claim, and I asked for clarification. Just because you can't support the claim doesn't mean I'm trolling.

Well, they threw down the gauntlet to the healthcare system, its employees and volunteers.

I get your point, but what system do adopt; identify yourself if you want? If nothing else, we would lose a lot of the data that people seem to love to pore over, such efficacy of vaccines against emerging variants, source of hospitalizations, etc. Heck, if they set up vending machines that you could press your arm up against, we still wouldn't get to 100%.

I just got my booster about 2 hours ago. Because of my age, I got a full dose vs. the missus getting the booster dose. I suppose absent me or her providing any personal information, it might have been a bit of a crap shoot. Science is evolving but science needs data.

While I get that if someone is here illegally they are justifiably paranoid, but some people seem to have this fear about law enforcement, including immigration, being able to freely access any database or personal information they please. It doesn't work like that. Heck, there are multiple databases at both the federal and provincial level that don't talk to each other.

I have some doubts as to how much the undocumented will affect the quality of the data or the sentinel function - especially given how crappy our system is and that it basically functions on the basis of "trust" where a significant minority of citizens had been demonstrably untrustworthy.

AoD

A new location opened up at U of T: 255 McCaul Street among the provincial booking platform. Spots are available for next week when I booked earlier just now.

Reactions: DSC
I have some doubts as to how much the undocumented will affect the quality of the data or the sentinel function - especially given how crappy our system is and that it basically functions on the basis of "trust" where a significant minority of citizens had been demonstrably untrustworthy.

AoD
You're right, but it would essentially set up a voluntary system of Health Card or other identification to access publicly-funded healthcare. If asked if I had a Health Card, I would get to say no just to be contrary (I can be like that); I could give them a library card. If the undocumented numbers are low enough to not skew the data, are they also low enough to not skew our herd immunity targets? At what point does the 'we should give it to anybody and everybody' morph into 'we must give to anybody and everybody'? Dunno. The bottom line for me is, if you should be here, you shouldn't be here, but I see points of the argument that if they are here, we should probably try to get them vaccinated.

Back