Kickbacks are illegal, and we have laws for a reason. The willingness to turn a blind eye to what is patently wrong just spoke to how low we are willing to go - and I am not sure what is more disturbing - politicians blatantly engaging in the practice, or citizens overtly advocating for/supporting it.

AoD
It probably happens a lot more than we know. Like how is the Liberals spending billions on mega projects like eHealth and not keep an eye on spending. A much smaller scale projects, those don't get investigated by the media and never be reveal to the public. I really don't think you an form a government without any sort of bribery in this capital world. Someone will accept a gift somewhere to pervade a recommendation on a report. Those who don't would get hated and kicked from their post.

If Ford is getting a kickback then Del Duca was also getting kickbacks after he tried to push a GO station in his riding. Del Duca is as a corrupt as anybody out there.
This is the beauty of corruption that is unprovable (well to the people in power and their benefactors). The Star published an article about developers that are associated (loosely or not) with Doug Ford along the potential hwy 413 corridor. The auditor general hasn't conclusively said they are doing anything illegal, but certainly questionable. Here's a link from the narwhal

If Ford is getting a kickback then Del Duca was also getting kickbacks after he tried to push a GO station in his riding. Del Duca is as a corrupt as anybody out there. Ford is not perfect but on the transit file I will back him. He has done more in less than 4 years than the Liberals did in 15 years. Projects which languished under the Liberals are now getting built from the Ontario Line, Yonge North expansion, Eglinton West LRT, GO transit expansion, and Scarborough Subway.

Ford has done several things with transit:

1) He got the city of of building rapid transit. When it comes to building transit, the city is influenced too much by individual councillors and NIMBYs. We saw how the city screwed up the Crosstown LRT by getting that useless Sunnybrook Park stop put back after Metrolinx wanted to eliminate and continue the tunnel all the way to the Science Centre station. We could have had a grade seperated line from the Airport all the way to the Don Mills. Metrolinx wanted to also eliminate the Aga Khan stop but the city got reinstated.This stop is literally right next to the Science Centre stop. The city is obsessed with putting too many stops on the lines. They think rapid transit is the same as a streetcar. They wanted to do the same thing with the western extension to the airport by putting it in the middle of the street. Good thing the province got involved. The province overdid by putting it underground. It should have been elevated but I'll take it. The city can continue to build streetcar lines, that's their speciality.

2) He put more pressure on the federal government to contribute more to transit projects in the GTA. The Feds seems to be putting more money into transit in the GTA than they were doing previously.

3) Building elevated transit. Toronto has been obsessed with either putting transit underground or putting it on the street and this seems to be changing. More transit is getting elevated and this bodes well for future and expansions and also controlling costs.

Just based on transit file, I will vote for Ford. I voted for Trudeau in the last election and mostly vote Liberals provincial and federal but upcoming election Ford has my vote. He gets shit done.
Ford cancelled the DRL in favour of the Ontario Line, adding years to the project, assuming it gets built. He also cancelled the Hamilton LRT, and slowed down GO expansion and electrification. I don't think he has gotten more done than previous governments and he has had a generally anti-transit stance.

Ford cancelled the DRL in favour of the Ontario Line, adding years to the project, assuming it gets built. He also cancelled the Hamilton LRT, and slowed down GO expansion and electrification. I don't think he has gotten more done than previous governments and he has had a generally anti-transit stance.

He cancelled the DRL which was a stub of a line from Queen to Pape for a longer and less costlier per kilometre line. I will pick the Ontario Line over a stub DRL. Last I checked Hamilton LRT is getting built. If you can't see that so called cancellation was a play to get the feds to cough up money, then I don't know what to tell you.

Do you even know what are you talking ? He hasn't slowed down any Go expansion and electrification. He is moving at a faster pace than the glacial pace we saw under the previous government. Metrolinx is in the process of evaluation two bids for GO expansion and electrification: https://blog.metrolinx.com/2021/12/...apid-all-day-service-and-new-electric-trains/.

So what is this about they have slowed down GO expansion and electrification? It's being accelerated not slowed down.

He has been in office less than 4 years and has down more for building transit than the Liberals had in 15 years.

That's a bit much given that they are already digging Eglinton West and Scarborough, with early works for Ontario Line apparently being tendered before the election.

Compare to how frequently the McGuinty/Wynne government postponed and delayed various projects that they'd originally proposed (Finch West, Sheppard East, Line 3 replacement ...). Not to mention the various frequency and service increases they'd promised on various GO lines, that weren't met - even those before the last election.

Even I admit that Ford has been far more effective on transit than the Liberals were. Almost as good as the Progressive Conservative governments in the 1960s and 1970s!

Last I checked Hamilton LRT is getting built. If you can't see that so called cancellation was a play to get the feds to cough up money, then I don't know what to tell you.
^^ THIS ^^

Its important to remember the state of the Hamilton LRT when Ford came into power, it was a project that was supposed to have both its Capital and O&M costs 100% paid for by the province, which while initially slated for 1 Billion by the Liberals, had grown to almost 4 Billion according to the government and even higher the auditor general (according to the auditor general, the ford government actually underestimated the new cost). They were clearly trying to push for a better deal and what they got was a 3.5 billion capital cost that they would share 50/50 with the feds, and the remaining Operations and Maintenance cost being paid for by the City of Hamilton.

Gosh, we need another thread for the proposed Crosstown West extension from Renforth station to Pearson station.
ECWE_updated_map.jpg

What are they going to name those stations with the same name as those on the existing subway? I've never read anything yet.

Last edited:
What are they going to name those stations with with the same name as those on the existing subway? I've never read anything yet.
That's a good question, i'm not sure if Metrolinx has paid their consultants the millions they usually do to come up with the station names yet. One thing is for sure though, dont expect them to sound like anything you're remotely familiar with.

That's a good question, i'm not sure if Metrolinx has paid their consultants the millions they usually do to come up with the station names yet. One thing is for sure though, dont expect them to sound like anything you're remotely familiar with.
Watch them come up with "Kipling North", "Islington North", "Royal York North", and "Jane North".

Watch them come up with "Kipling North", "Islington North", "Royal York North", and "Jane North".
Honestly why not just name the stations Kipling-Eglinton, Islington-Eglinton etc.

I hate the new way they’re naming stops. I really prefer just naming them after the two cross-streets. The streets are (mostly) on a grid so it would be quite helpful to know where you are.

I hate the new way they’re naming stops. I really prefer just naming them after the two cross-streets. The streets are (mostly) on a grid so it would be quite helpful to know where you are.
Unfortunately the local council members and the people who they consultaned with don't agree they think that we don't need to know what street a sation or stop is on and that some obscure community name is better.

Back