News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Member Motion at today's Council Meeting from Councillor Ainslie.

He would like the SRT's elevated track preserved so that Scarborough can have its own 'High Line' Park....

:rolleyes:

Motion here:

Substance thereof:

View attachment 378190

Just no.

This is not and never would be the 'High Line'.
Not the same, not close, could not, would not, should not be.
Far better uses for the money.

By all means retain the ROW through Scarborough City Centre as a linear park or the like where plausible.
Likewise, preserve room in the N-S section of corridor for a multi-use path and a meadoway-type treatment.

But don't blow money preserving the bridges.

Fair point; but, do you think the elevated section has no value as a future transit corridor? Whether it is Sheppard Subway, an LRT, or a mini metro, the route is not set in stone yet. The planners might want to use the former SRT corridor to reach STC directly, if the ROW still exists.

Or, is the existing elevated ROW too narrow for anything but MK-1's?

Fair point; but, do you think the elevated section has no value as a future transit corridor? Whether it is Sheppard Subway, an LRT, or a mini metro, the route is not set in stone yet. The planners might want to use the former SRT corridor to reach STC directly, if the ROW still exists.

Or, is the existing elevated ROW too narrow for anything but MK-1's?

Existing bridges are too narrow for buses or wider rolling stock.
There's also the matter of the tunneled section; and the turning radii and platform height at Kennedy.

I find retention for transit to be improbable in the medium to long term.
Some possibility of saving some of it for the short term solution during the SRT shutdown, but not without some expensive modifications.

Steve Munro did a piece on this about a year ago, it would make a good read:

Yes, it would be almost identical to High Line Park. The urban environment similar to Manhattan, and probably it would be just as popular as our Nathan Phillips Square high line.

I think I could be sold on turning it into a bikeway / path though especially if that path went beyond the maintenance building and connected to Morningside Park and Centennial College at one end and the Gatineau Hydro Corridor Trail on the other.

There's also the matter of the tunneled section; and the turning radii and platform height at Kennedy.

Some possibility of saving some of it for the short term solution during the SRT shutdown, but not without some expensive modifications.

Really I think the point of value here is the east west segment between the Stouffville Line and McCowan, anything south of that is unimportant in terms of corridor preservation. As such, you basically have to ask the question of how suitable is that elevator corridor for either a Sheppard Line extension, or maybe some form of Rapid Transit along Ellesmere (you could have an LRT that transitions to an elevated segment near MCC).

Really I think the point of value here is the east west segment between the Stouffville Line and McCowan, anything south of that is unimportant in terms of corridor preservation. As such, you basically have to ask the question of how suitable is that elevator corridor for either a Sheppard Line extension

Its not.

It physically can 't work, neither can the existing stations, nor the existing tunnel.

, or maybe some form of Rapid Transit along Ellesmere (you could have an LRT that transitions to an elevated segment near MCC).

You mean SCC?

Yah, not happening, can't fit buses, would require substantial reconstruction.

Not in any plans or fantasy plans I've heard of.....

Its not.

It physically can 't work, neither can the existing stations, nor the existing tunnel.

You mean SCC?

Yah, not happening, can't fit buses, would require substantial reconstruction.

Not in any plans or fantasy plans I've heard of.....
As I said, the corridor, not the infrastructure.

Yes, it would be almost identical to High Line Park. The urban environment similar to Manhattan, and probably it would be just as popular as our Nathan Phillips Square high line.

I think I could be sold on turning it into a bikeway / path though especially if that path went beyond the maintenance building and connected to Morningside Park and Centennial College at one end and the Gatineau Hydro Corridor Trail on the other.
A new bike trail along Ellesmere was just finished between Markham and Military trail so with extensions of that east and west we could have a direct bikeway from STC to UTSC

It is well established that the tunnel is too tight and too narrow for anything but Mk-1's, and that the elevated guideway is too narrow for buses or for most of the modern rail vehicles.

The question though is whether the E-W corridor currently occupied by the SRT guideway might be of any use for a future transit line (forget the tunnel, it will be gone for sure). Let's say, the Metrolinx planners eventually decide to replace the Sheppard subway with OL-style mini metro, extend it to the east, and prefer to interchange with Line 2 at STC rather than at Sheppard / McCowan. Would the existence of a continuous path from Midland to almost Bellamy be useful, even if the guideway structure has to be completely replaced?

Or, do you think a diversion to STC is a non-starter, and any Sheppard line will stay on Sheppard all the way to McCowan station?

It is well established that the tunnel is too tight and too narrow for anything but Mk-1's, and that the elevated guideway is too narrow for buses or for most of the modern rail vehicles.

Yes

The question though is whether the E-W corridor currently occupied by the SRT guideway might be of any use for a future transit line (forget the tunnel, it will be gone for sure). Let's say, the Metrolinx planners eventually decide to replace the Sheppard subway with OL-style mini metro,

Not happening, the working plans are to keep the Sheppard subway as subway, to extend the trains to six-cars from four, and the active platform lengths accordingly (already built but walled off/unfinished); and the line will be extended accordingly.

extend it to the east, and prefer to interchange with Line 2 at STC rather than at Sheppard / McCowan. Would the existence of a continuous path from Midland to almost Bellamy be useful, even if the guideway structure has to be completely replaced?

Again, the gauge and rollingstock will not be changing. I mean, let's be clear, no tenders are awarded, governments can change their minds; but the working ideas don't involve this......
Also...if you change rolling stock you need a new maintence/storage yard.

Or, do you think a diversion to STC is a non-starter, and any Sheppard line will stay on Sheppard all the way to McCowan station?

I think Line 4 will stay on Sheppard; but even if it did not, for reasons outlined above, it would use rollingstock consistent w/the rest of the system and that would preclude using anything like the existing infrastructure and likely the ROW either.

Presser out from the Province today that they have issued the RFP for stations, rail and systems.

From the above:

1644418594971.png

A refresher on the teams in question from the backgrounder:

1644418686134.png

SSE update
1646678108566-png.383870

1646678085762-png.383869

Some want Line 2 Bloor-Danforth to interline or connect with Line 4 Sheppard. Guess it'll be at at Scarborough Centre somehow? Or maybe Sheppard will go with the light rail trains or Ontario Line trains (still waiting for that description).

1646678108566-png.383870

1646678085762-png.383869

Some want Line 2 Bloor-Danforth to interline or connect with Line 4 Sheppard. Guess it'll be at at Scarborough Centre somehow? Or maybe Sheppard will go with the light rail trains or Ontario Line trains (still waiting for that description).
Looks like their plan allows for a northerly extension

Last edited:

Back