News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Looking back at a post by Surreal, I see different numbers for Calgary coming from this website In the reports at the other site, Calgary's numbers look more competitive relative to the other 4 markets. Both sets of data appear to be related to VC funding, curious what the difference is?
Probably different methodologies. For example, an investor could buy 20% of a company for $1M, implying a $5M valuation. Another investor could buy 50% of a company for $1M, implying a $2M valuation. Are both investments valued at $1M, or is one at $5M and the other at $2M?

Take all of these stats with a grain of salt. These investments are highly illiquid, meaning that the valuations are uncertain and highly volatile.

This is why pipelines and other energy infrastructure (i.e LNG plants) matter. Europe imports 60% of their fossil fuel needs from Russia. Should Russian turn off the taps to Europe, Canada would be in the position to supply some of those needs ... IF we had a pipeline to the east coast (Energy East) or at the very least south to the Gulf (Keystone XL). Our one LNG plant in Kitimat was commissioned late in the game (2018), will not be operating until at least 2025 and it is located on the west coast as is the TMX pipeline. Not as convenient to Europe unfortunately.
The U.S. who had the foresight already have several LNG plants both in the Gulf and on the East Coast. They also have pipelines east to west. They will be in much better position to supply Europe with liquid natural gas and oil if they can spare it (watch for that to come back).

Oil is less important than gas. And we could export oil via Montreal (current load tankers to shuttle to Quebec City), and from the grand banks if it became a strategic need. Oil being fungible and all the market will reallocate around strategic moves, leading to little change. A crash plan could get east coast LNG up in a few years. Now that is more important. Could do it almost as fast as any similar drive on the Gulf Coast. Even floating LNG wouldn't be faster - Prelude took over 3 years in dock to build.

An LNG plant near Montreal would be possible. In the end additional liquefaction from North America matters more than where it is. Minus the propaganda and construction work value. For Alberta, it is the consumption that matters, not exactly where that consumption is.

No surprise here. After making a big deal last fall about putting a cap on oil and gas emissions, Trudeau is loathe to offering up more oil and gas to Europe (or the U.S. or to anyone).
When asked by a reporter if Canada is willing to step up to help Europe, he gave his usual 'bullshit' answer that had nothing to do with the question. He is still on this 'having Canadians backs' through COVID thing. No ....Canada won't increase production of oil and gas if Trudeau has anything to say about it.

No surprise here. After making a big deal last fall about putting a cap on oil and gas emissions, Trudeau is loathe to offering up more oil and gas to Europe (or the U.S. or to anyone).
When asked by a reporter if Canada is willing to step up to help Europe, he gave his usual 'bullshit' answer that had nothing to do with the question. He is still on this 'having Canadians backs' through COVID thing. No ....Canada won't increase production of oil and gas if Trudeau has anything to say about it.

Oil is less important than gas. And we could export oil via Montreal (current load tankers to shuttle to Quebec City), and from the grand banks if it became a strategic need. Oil being fungible and all the market will reallocate around strategic moves, leading to little change. A crash plan could get east coast LNG up in a few years. Now that is more important. Could do it almost as fast as any similar drive on the Gulf Coast. Even floating LNG wouldn't be faster - Prelude took over 3 years in dock to build.

An LNG plant near Montreal would be possible. In the end additional liquefaction from North America matters more than where it is. Minus the propaganda and construction work value. For Alberta, it is the consumption that matters, not exactly where that consumption is.
The whole LNG supply chain could be re-engineered with US supplying Europe out of the Gulf Coast and Canada supplying Japan and Korea out of the west coast. Shipping Canadian gas to the East Coast would be inefficient and take many years to build the required infrastructure. Shipping LNG from the west coast to Europe requires a circuitous route through the Panama Canal.

This is why pipelines and other energy infrastructure (i.e LNG plants) matter. Europe imports 60% of their fossil fuel needs from Russia. Should Russian turn off the taps to Europe, Canada would be in the position to supply some of those needs ... IF we had a pipeline to the east coast (Energy East) or at the very least south to the Gulf (Keystone XL). Our one LNG plant in Kitimat was commissioned late in the game (2018), will not be operating until at least 2025 and it is located on the west coast as is the TMX pipeline. Not as convenient to Europe unfortunately.
The U.S. who had the foresight already have several LNG plants both in the Gulf and on the East Coast. They also have pipelines east to west. They will be in much better position to supply Europe with liquid natural gas and oil if they can spare it (watch for that to come back).
The US doesn't have any pipelines to the Pacific coast, which is why TMX is so important:
2020-CAPP-Pipeline-and-Refinery-Map-LARGE-fo-linking-only.jpg

First, the Post is an atrocious group of publications. I know it's Alberta, but come on - we have to realize there's no feasible way of getting it to Europe in time to make a difference.

There's a lot of valid criticism to throw at JT after all he has (and hasn't) done, but this isn't one of them. The opposition in Canada right now is focused on populism for morons and the cheques from lobbyists of corporate welfare. I wish someone (anyone?) would take a sober look at the problems we're facing and provide effective, long-term policy solutions instead of just pandering to people who can't even tell you the difference between fiscal and monetary policy.

First, the Post is an atrocious group of publications. I know it's Alberta, but come on - we have to realize there's no feasible way of getting it to Europe in time to make a difference.
It's not about getting supply to Europe to solve the immediate crisis. It's about ensuring that our allies are not beholden to dictators to meet their ongoing energy needs (that will continue to grow for the foreseeable future). It took a war waged by a Bond villain, but we are finally seeing signs that the fog of energy ignorance is lifting for the average joe on the Clapham Omnibus.

Also, it's obviously important to consider the bias of any publication, especially in this day and age where there is no longer delineation between reporting and opinion. Having said that, the Post is no more right leaning than some of the other mainstream media organizations are left-leaning. Hopper is actually an engaging correspondent and puts out some interesting content.

I wish someone (anyone?) would take a sober look at the problems we're facing and provide effective, long-term policy solutions instead of just pandering to people who can't even tell you the difference between fiscal and monetary policy.
Not convinced that even our esteemed PM knows this one. 😆

Anyway it's going to be interesting times ahead in Alberta. I don't think we are heading back to the craziness of over 6% GDP growth but I wouldn't be surprised either. I've been hearing some chatter about the possibility of resurrecting KXL which could be a game changer - but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Anyway it's going to be interesting times ahead in Alberta. I don't think we are heading back to the craziness of over 6% GDP growth but I wouldn't be surprised either. I've been hearing some chatter about the possibility of resurrecting KXL which could be a game changer - but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
I was actually on the KXL project doing preliminary land surveys on the Saskatchewan side until the Biden Admin cancelled it. Reality is setting in for people who were originally opponents to the project and that's at least good to see. It's clear that we took relative global peace for granted and became comfortable and naive enough to ignore these large issues. Canada needs to build and drastically reduce red tape to become a much richer and stronger country. The Ukrainian war has been a wakeup call, not only to Canada, but to all nations to take advantage of their assets and grow stronger. Don't forget, we border with Russia. And we have forever value-increasing mega assets in the arctic.

Gosh, I feel like our PM is becoming more of an embarrassment by the day... Everything that comes out of his mouth is just some canned talking point.
He's been doing that since day one. I don't know how anybody can actually listen to the guy speak. He talks a lot, but sure as hell doesn't say anything. I just want to bang my head against the wall when he's talking. I lose brain cells just listening to him.

Canada needs to build and drastically reduce red tape to become a much richer and stronger country. The Ukrainian war has been a wakeup call, not only to Canada, but to all nations to take advantage of their assets and grow stronger. Don't forget, we border with Russia. And we have forever value-increasing mega assets in the arctic.
You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, the Trudeau administration introduced more red tape for any new energy and mining projects with bill C69.This, without any transition plan from fossil fuels to renewables. Their vision is simple ... "Fossil fuels ... bad. Renewables .... good".
It does not matter to Trudeau that our country's economy is dependent on growing our natural resources and we don't have anything on a scale that would replace it . It does not matter to Trudeau that peak global oil demand is still years away. It does not matter to Trudeau that unforeseen geopolitical events (i.e war in Europe) could cause severe supply shortages and price spikes, and that Canada is a possible solution to this. It does not matter to Trudeau (or he is clueless) that this country, as with much of the world, is probably decades away from powering our electrical, heating, manufacturing and transportation needs entirely by renewables. Unfortunately, we have many too many naive people in government that have the average citizen believing that it is as simple ..... as turning off fossil fuels and turning on renewables.... yeah, just that simple!:rolleyes:

Under Trudeau oil sands production is at record levels, exports are at record levels, and differentials have shrunk due to there being enough transportation. An expanded export port will open hopefully next year.

The belief that save for Trudeau we'd somehow be able to fill TMX and Keystone XL, and Gateway, and Line 3R, and be on a path to oil sands 8 million is a disillusion.

Back