News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I'm actually in favour of using the 407 ROW as a rail corridor instead of a BRT corridor (my most recent fantasy map that I've been working on has this, FWIW). There's an opportunity to extend the line into Hamilton via existing GO infrastructure as well. That would in essence make it a modified version of the GO ALRT proposal from the 80s.

Also interesting that it runs along the 403 corridor through Mississauga. Presumably, this would replace the Mississauga Transitway.

This line could actually get built reasonably quickly, as the Province already has the ROW, and there aren't very many neighbours along the route to have to deal with (unlike the Ontario Line).

1) Sheppard West is excluded; but the intent was always to provide rolling stock for any Sheppard East extension via Wilson Yard directly, which requires Sheppard West; do the report writers not know this or are they imagining a new yard for Sheppard East?
It isn't in published plans anywhere, but I've always thought the reason for the Line 2 extension up to Sheppard was to enable a new yard in the abandoned areas of the CP Scarborough Yard. I'm pretty sure Metrolinx owns part of that yard, so it does make sense to put an MSF there.

Unless I'm missing it, the term "407 Transitway" appears once in the document.
Weird for a project that should be more "real" than a lot of the others.

I know it was always treated as a BRT but there was always a bit of a "or maybe LRT, depending..." vibe to the plans. It's all a bit mysterious and it's weird that this new "plan"doesn't really offer any clarity.
Because it seems that the 407 transitway is basically being replaced by the Orbital Line.

Where's the GO Midtown train corridor? Where's the GO Bolton train corridor?
There's nothing specifically on the Midtown corridor, however the Bolton Line is listed on Page 21:

1646934968066.png

This is an election campaign splatter gun, much like the carefully thought out (hehe) let's throw away the masks and hope covid doesn't notice plan.

Last edited:
It’s not unlike the Ford government to do this. Look how they took the Ontario line from nothing to nearly under construction in 4 years. I’d expect they’d use the same strategy to get these new lines built. Avoid consultation and lengthy processes that drag things out, and just move forward.
That's not how I'd characterize it. They took an already approved Relief Line (with planning for a second phase well underway) and delayed it by redesigning and rebranding it.

That's not how I'd characterize it. They took an already approved Relief Line (with planning for a second phase well underway) and delayed it by redesigning and rebranding it.
If anyone on this board is still supporting the old RL plan as a better plan, please leave. It's been discussed ad nauseam on this board and the *only* angle is that switching to the OL delayed opening by a year or two at most, which is hardly an issue given the huge improvements the switch made to the performance of the line.

If anyone on this board is still supporting the old RL plan as a better plan, please leave. It's been discussed ad nauseam on this board and the *only* angle is that switching to the OL delayed opening by a year or two at most, which is hardly an issue given the huge improvements the switch made to the performance of the line.

Neither is the above an accurate statement, nor is it a reasonable way to disagree with people.

This is an election campaign splatter gun, much like the carefully thought out (hehe) let's through away the masks and hope covid doesn't notice plan.

It’s being presented as an election campaign document, but really, it’s a standard consolidated list of plans and priorities for transportation in south central Ontario. Specific projects come and go with governments, but this is a bona fide ministry document.

Ford will run on it – his government’s fingers are all over it – but it’s not campaign material.

Could the westerly extension of the Ontario Line will be "merged" with UPX between Exhibition Station and the Pearson Transit Hub?

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't see the original DLR be contemplated as an extension to Richmond Hill, much less Pearson.

I'll stay right here, thanks. I was simply correcting the claim that the OL was nothing 4 years ago when it was, in fact, a well developed plan under a different name. And the OL is a performance downgrade.

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't see the original DLR be contemplated as an extension to Richmond Hill, much less Pearson.
I don't see any reason why the old plan couldn't have been extended to either.

I'll stay right here, thanks. I was simply correcting the claim that the OL was nothing 4 years ago when it was, in fact, a well developed plan under a different name. And the OL is a performance downgrade.

I don't see any reason why the old plan couldn't have been extended to either.
In what way? It's twice the length for 30% more cost and again, I've been over this ad nauseum. The only benefit to the RL is that it had theoretical 20% larger capacity on a project that needs only 1/2 of the projected capacity the OL is planning for, and the OL still provides more capacity than the existing subway system.

Unless you like deep stations and overpriced infrastructure, the OL is a much better design.

There was some preliminary geotechnical work and utility infrastructure identification work which could be re-used from the RL for the OL, but a lot of it needed to be redone as well. the OL was basically "from scratch".

The OL's cost benefits will also multiply even further as it gets extended up Don Mills, as it can be elevated at a fraction of the cost of the RL would have been tunneled. The OL can probably be built from Exhibition to Sheppard, 22km, for the same cost it would have been to build the RL from Osgoode to Eglinton, 12km.

Ford's streamlining of the EA process and seeming willingness to actually let the money flow (unlike the Liberals who trickled out the actual construction dollars) meant that his four subway projects, some of them imperfect in many ways, managed to get shovels in the ground in an actual reasonable time while liberal projects all spent a decade in consultant offices getting hashed and rehashed and never seeing shovels hit the ground.

Yep at this point it's basically spamming the board. Beating a dead horse.

Back