News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I get the distinct impression that the novelty has worn off and foreign nations aren't so keen on helping.

If you notice, there has been alot less talk of arms deliveries and support recently.
If you get your news from either the western MSM or social media then yes, it would seem that way. But nations (aren't they all foreign?) don't take their lead on foreign policy from the MSM or twitter. Their leaders know that if Ukraine falls, eventually Europe will be the next target, NATO or no. In fact this invasion of Ukraine IS a test of NATO's resolve, Putin and the West both know this. My estimation is that NATO and the West, and the Ukrainians are in this fight until 2025 or beyond.

If you get your news from either the western MSM or social media then yes, it would seem that way. But nations (aren't they all foreign?) don't take their lead on foreign policy from the MSM or twitter. Their leaders know that if Ukraine falls, eventually Europe will be the next target, NATO or no. In fact this invasion of Ukraine IS a test of NATO's resolve, Putin and the West both know this. My estimation is that NATO and the West, and the Ukrainians are in this fight until 2025 or beyond.

It is ironic. Years ago I tried join the Canadian Forces but was told that because I held Australian, Hungarian and Canadian Citizenships a conflict of interest may be present. I was denied on the basis that if Hungary or Australia went to war with another nation that I may be called to serve in a war Canada did not sanction or worse be forced to choose sides between Canada and the other country (if Canada was attacked).

The irony in all this is that because I have all the valid Hungarian paperwork I could be called to serve if they are invaded. Did not consider it at the time but oh how times change.

I get the distinct impression that the novelty has worn off and foreign nations aren't so keen on helping.

If you notice, there has been alot less talk of arms deliveries and support recently.
I'd be quite happy for not a word to be spoken about materiel aid being provided and having Russian troops learning first-hand, but the world doesn't work like that.

This is how 'the world' works - one is drawn to 'new stuff' and want 'new news'. That said, there may be less talk about the war now (certainly on UT!) but arms deliveries are ramping up and lots more people are dying. The novelty has worn off because it is no longer a novelty.

Not only that, but the situation is quite static. The frontlines have seen hardly any movement in weeks. Some articles are comparing it with WWI trench style warfare. Ukraine is just holding out and playing a waiting game until all the heavy weapons from the West arrive. I think in late summer you'll start seeing a major counter offensive on their part. Zelensky just said a couple of days ago that there won't be any cease fire negotiations until Russian forces are driven out from all Ukrainian territory - including CRIMEA.

Reactions: DSC

US just announced another billion dollar support package just yesterday. The leaders of Germany, France and Italy all visited Kyiv today, pledging additional military support. Macron even emphasized that Ukraine "must win" the war.

US just announced another billion dollar support package just yesterday. The leaders of Germany, France and Italy all visited Kyiv today, pledging additional military support. Macron even emphasized that Ukraine "must win" the war.
And Putin just tried to kill all three with a Kyiv missile strike!

Hopefully Russian had enough intel to be confident that they wouldn't kill three of the heads of government of the EU. Unless he's trying to start WWIII.

Years ago I tried join the Canadian Forces but was told that because I held Australian, Hungarian and Canadian Citizenships a conflict of interest may be present. I was denied on the basis that if Hungary or Australia went to war with another nation....
I imagine your Hungarianess, being a Warsaw Pact member until 1991 might have been more a block than being Australian. Commonwealth citizens are generally welcome in the forces. As a teen, born in Britain without (yet) Canadian citizenship, I was active in Canadian navy cadets and looked at joining either the RCN or RN and I remember confirming that a Brit would be welcome into the RCN.

I'd be quite happy for not a word to be spoken about materiel aid being provided and having Russian troops learning first-hand, but the world doesn't work like that.

Very much this. Especially as the heavy stuff is just reaching Ukraine now. The first class of Multiple rocket launch system operators hear finished training. We are still 2-3 weeks out from seeing this stuff on the battlefield.

Very much this. Especially as the heavy stuff is just reaching Ukraine now. The first class of Multiple rocket launch system operators hear finished training. We are still 2-3 weeks out from seeing this stuff on the battlefield.
Some MLRS are now in use in Ukraine. They are still in desperate need of more though.

This has become a major war of attrition and it's very difficult to assess the combat effectiveness of either side at the moment.

Back