I walked by this block (7th & 8th ave's) today at lunch and I still see no DP billboards up for this project.:rolleyes:

Anyways I'm just going to leave this photo:

20220721_133107[1].jpg
I

Why even touch Stephen Ave when there is so much lots available. If they want to make a statement project, why don't they just use the multiple blocks of 9 Ave near the train tracks. It is near other office buildings, and adding more residential in that area would be complimentary to the area adding other towers. Even if they build it as the tallest building, it does not cover any famous or iconic tower (Bow, Sky, Calgary Tower, Brookfield) from most views of the skyline. If they want to be ambitious, they have like 3 block to be creative and make something cool. No need to teardown building and disrupt Stephen Ave, especially since it is getting better. If anything they should look to extent Stephen Ave and make it existing area even more interesting

I know I will raise the ire of pro-Heritage contingent of this blog. However, that illustration of Norman Block would suggest that this is the heritage we are giving up with redevelopment. Norman Block on the outside now, looks nothing like it did 30 years which at that time probably did not look anything like it did 30 years before that ... and so on back to 1924. The interiors of these buildings have probably changed out more times than the exteriors. No one is shopping at the Winners store today because it maintains the look and feel of a merchant from the 1920's ... because it doesn't. The inside reminds me of a 1970's era Zellers store.
I am having a hard time understanding what exactly some people are wanting to preserve as virtually nothing is original other than the 'bones' and some of the original architectural elements.
If Triovest/Coril achieve for Norman Block what they did with the Imperial Bank Building, Linehan & Thomson Blocks ... combining elements of old and new .... then I think most people would be satisfied. The objective should be to not only maintain street level presence but enhance it. If looking up means seeing high rises then so be it. The developer is not going to invest in the project without being able to recoup costs with these components. I would also say that keeping status quo is also not an option. Without a forward thinking owner/developer, that block could very easily be left to decay as it did on 7th Ave.
Having said all that, we don't know what the final plan and design is going to be. Most everyone, including myself, does not like everything in the first proposal. Let's hope there is some good input that results in a big win!

Last edited:
I know I will raise the ire of pro-Heritage contingent of this blog. However, that illustration of Norman Block would suggest that this is the heritage we are giving up with redevelopment. Norman Block on the outside now, looks nothing like it did 30 years which at that time probably did not look anything like it did 30 years before that ... and so on back to 1924. The interiors of these buildings have probably changed out more times than the exteriors. No one is shopping at the Winners store today because it maintains the look and feel of a merchant from the 1920's ... because it doesn't. The inside reminds me of a 1970's era Zellers store.
I am having a hard time understanding what exactly some people are wanting to preserve as virtually nothing is original other than the 'bones' and some of the original architectural elements. No one is shopping at the Winners store today because it maintains the look and feel of a merchant from the 1920's ... it does not. The inside reminds me of a 1970's era Zellers store.
If Triovest/Coril achieve for Norman Block what they did with the Imperial Bank Building, Linehan & Thomson Blocks ... combining elements of old and new .... then I think most people would be satisfied. The objective should be to not only maintain street level presence but enhance it. If looking up means seeing high rises then so be it. The developer is not going to invest in the project without being able to recoup costs with these components. I would also say that keeping status quo is also not an option. Without a forward thinking owner/developer, that block could very easily be left to decay as it did on 7th Ave.
Having said all that, we don't know what the final plan and design is going to be. Most everyone, including myself, does not like everything in the first proposal. Let's hope there is some good input that results in a big win!
A look at back of house of most of these buildings and it seems like many are not original. I walked the alley when this was first proposed and that was my impression anyways.

I’m still not in favour of this as currently planned, particularly the massing over Stephen Ave and the office being the primary driver, but I could be supportive of a scaled down version if the density is focused toward 7 Ave and the residential became the primary focus (along with the heritage preservation).

Reminds me of the Hub with those wobbly windows...

Now that's some great inspiration. About as graceful as that development too. The podium on Centre Street reminds me of the Bow Valley Square bunker mixed with the old CBE HQ. Christ has this city learned nothing?!?

I notice they don't show the office in the rendering. Is that due to the problems with Suncor as tenant or because it is so awful that they want to hide it?

Funny that is probably it's most flattering angle. Imagine the 7th Ave side. They shouldn't be able to show the last phase in the rendering. Just the block sized office podium as that is what's being proposed currently and all that might end up being built.

Last edited:
I notice they don't show the office in the rendering. Is that due to the problems with Suncor as tenant or because it is so awful that they want to hide it?
The project is split into two development permits. This signis likely advertising the DP for the residential/hotel tower and amenities. I wonder if there is a sign on 1st Street SW, for the office DP.

Back