Hmm.... I hope the tower designs are great. Not so sure I like what I am seeing with the ground floor yet. They look to be blowing some holes into the Stephen Avenue side as well (preserving the 2nd storey facades....)
View attachment 399109
And I maybe get that the buildings on 7th Ave are too far gone to preserve, but it would have been great to see some facade preservation like they do in Toronto. Not sure this will match the current streetscape that is there now:
View attachment 399110

I don't want to pass judgement too much without seeing more details, but so far, I am starting to dread what is in the drawings...... Not off to a great start in my opinion.
Here is my post from the first page, which gives some of the elevations found within the DP drawings that hopefully help.

On a positive note, Stephen Ave is absolutely bumping tonight! I wish the City could sustain activity like this year round, and not just during Stampede! Think Lower Broadway in Nashville.
For sure. Outside of Stampede it’s starting to pick up though….. at least going by the last three or four times I’ve been down there it seems like it’s getting busier every week.

Sunny warm weather + patios + no cars + street entertainment is the formula!
Stephen Ave. may look more active than 17 Ave because the core of it is really only 5 blocks versus the 17th Ave core which stretches about10.

Last edited:
Suncor CEO's abrupt resignation after worker fatality may signal broader executive shakeup

Last week, executives at Suncor Energy Inc. had been preparing for an important public presentation, an event they hoped would showcase the company’s plan to improve safety and performance at its oilsands operations, when the news broke: another worker had been killed at the company’s Base Plant Mine near Fort McMurray — the second this year and the fifth workplace fatality since 2020. About 36 hours later, the presentation was cancelled and Suncor announced that CEO Mark Little had resigned.
Suncor’s record on safety was also criticized by activist investor Elliott Investment Management LP in a public letter to the company’s board of directors last April. The U.S. firm, which owns a 3.4 per cent stake in Suncor, criticized the company for missed production targets, delayed timelines, and repeated safety failures. It also called for a shakeup at the top with the appointment of five new directors, as well as a review of management and assets.

“It is evident that Suncor’s status quo is not working,” Elliott wrote. The investment firm declined to comment on Little’s resignation Sunday.

Calgary-based Suncor has been the worst-performer among large oilsands producers in Canada for much of the past two years. And the company’s most recent safety problems have continued to drag on the share price: Suncor was the only stock in the 38-company S&P/TSX Energy Index to decline over the last two trading sessions sessions last week.

Analyst Travis Wood of National Bank of Canada said further executive resignations or changes are likely required to achieve a cultural shift at the company.

Hey everyone, Monday July 18th is the 20th anniversary of Stephen Ave being designated a National Historic Site/District.

Here's an article from 2002 a couple of days before it was designated about how the late 90s rehab turned it from a slightly shabby stretch to a destination.

I'm going to celebrate the anniversary by heading down this weekend and enjoying a patio, hope everyone else can too!

Hey everyone, Monday July 18th is the 20th anniversary of Stephen Ave being designated a National Historic Site/District.

Here's an article from 2002 a couple of days before it was designated about how the late 90s rehab turned it from a slightly shabby stretch to a destination.

I'm going to celebrate the anniversary by heading down this weekend and enjoying a patio, hope everyone else can too!
I can't think of what Stephen Ave looked like before it was renovated, I've always seen it in its current state.

I heard from someone involved in the project that the office commitment is in serious jeopardy with the Elliott activism going on at Suncor. Without Suncor, I think this goes the way of the dodo bird.

I would be absolutely livid as a Suncor shareholder if they went ahead with a new build office tower in a city with 33% vacancy. CEO just got turfed for too many employee deaths on his watch, seems like there are bigger problems to solve than needing a fancier head office.

I would be absolutely livid as a Suncor shareholder if they went ahead with a new build office tower in a city with 33% vacancy. CEO just got turfed for too many employee deaths on his watch, seems like there are bigger problems to solve than needing a fancier head office.
A shareholder activist just forced some changes on their board of directors.

Regardless of whether Suncor want a new office tower, how in their right minds could city council approve of such a thing? The city is forking out tens of millions of (our) dollars to convert empty office space to residential.

Last edited:
I can't think of what Stephen Ave looked like before it was renovated, I've always seen it in its current state.
Over the years, I think especially in the 50s, 60s and 70s many of the facades were covered up with more 'modern' styled materials as by then the original architectural styles were considered 'old fashioned' in a negative way. So much of the rehab was removing those coverings and repairing the damage done to attach them.

Back