giFGO0F.png
I think they've removed this web cam from the website since updating the page with the new renders. Or at least I can't find it.

Looks like it's still there, or maybe it was down, and now it's back up?

either way, here it is :)

bmo.PNG

No I just completely missed it. Use to have it bookmarked but removed it. Seems early to be tearing up the intersection of Stampede Trail and 17th Ave but they're doing it... Looks pretty strategic because they've left the curbs intact in the SW corner of the intersection. Curious to see why?

The Stampede grounds and the block north of it (stretching along 12 Ave SE) is going to look like it is in a permanent state of construction over the next several years
1. BMO expansion & LRT modifications.
2. Most of 12 Ave has been dug up for Green line prep work. There are detours all over the place ... and I was disappointed to see one half of the canopy of trees on the south side of 12 Ave, east of Stampede Trail has been uprooted so they could access utilities.
3. Event Centre and Stampede Trail construction whenever that starts
4. Actual work on the Green line.
With all of this upheaval, it is hard to imagine any further residential projects on those empty lots along 12 Ave as well as 11 Ave, at least not in the near future.

The Stampede grounds and the block north of it (stretching along 12 Ave SE) is going to look like it is in a permanent state of construction over the next several years
1. BMO expansion & LRT modifications.
2. Most of 12 Ave has been dug up for Green line prep work. There are detours all over the place ... and I was disappointed to see one half of the canopy of trees on the south side of 12 Ave, east of Stampede Trail has been uprooted so they could access utilities.
3. Event Centre and Stampede Trail construction whenever that starts
4. Actual work on the Green line.
With all of this upheaval, it is hard to imagine any further residential projects on those empty lots along 12 Ave as well as 11 Ave, at least not in the near future.
Oh man, that sucks about the trees. I never noticed it during Stampede this year, but based on Streetview, they were gone in May 2022 already:
1659998211670.png

For reference, here is the same view from April 2021. No leaves on the trees yet, but you can see a nice, healthy double row of canopy trees was forming:

1659998299215.png

Oh man, that sucks about the trees. I never noticed it during Stampede this year, but based on Streetview, they were gone in May 2022 already:
View attachment 418784

For reference, here is the same view from April 2021. No leaves on the trees yet, but you can see a nice, healthy double row of canopy trees was forming:

View attachment 418785
Whenever the Events Centre goes ahead those would be coming out anyways. Being that they aren't too big hopefully they were moved... But probably not. I'd volunteer for a tree in my front yard if they're looking for takers.

Why would they be coming out? They are in a public sidewalk, one that was at one point supposed to be the eastern extension of the 13th Avenue Greenbelt (although, I noticed that they removed that when they updated the Beltline ARP and split it in two). Any other development would be required to submit a tree protection plan and protect the public trees within the boulevard adjacent to their project.

Just feels like another missed step in our attempt to create a nice downtown. We had the fortunate position of the trees actually pre-dating development in this area, so as to have a nice, established tree canopy for future users, but we are cutting them all down now... Sigh.

Why would they be coming out? They are in a public sidewalk, one that was at one point supposed to be the eastern extension of the 13th Avenue Greenbelt (although, I noticed that they removed that when they updated the Beltline ARP and split it in two). Any other development would be required to submit a tree protection plan and protect the public trees within the boulevard adjacent to their project.

Just feels like another missed step in our attempt to create a nice downtown. We had the fortunate position of the trees actually pre-dating development in this area, so as to have a nice, established tree canopy for future users, but we are cutting them all down now... Sigh.
Maybe they keep them and protect them. I think we all agree that they probably aren't coming back with the same exact Events Centre design so I'm wasting time even speculating.

All I know is that those blocks of 11 & 12 Ave SE from Stampede Way to the bus barn have been barren and a major eyesore for far too long... what almost 20 years now? It is one empty lot after another with poor sidewalks and no bike lanes (ends at 4 St).
Development in that area can't happen fast enough in my mind. We all know there are grandiose plans with the event center being the catalyst for other projects. However, we have been hearing that for years and we are no further ahead.

Technically those are private trees as the majority of that sidewalk is within the PL so they wouldn't be subject to a tree protection plan - although I guess you could argue that they are public since the Stampede grounds are ultimately owned by the City. 12th Avenue is still subject to a road widening public realm setback so the PL would also move upon development, so it's all a bit messy. I think the plan with the arena was to remove and replant the trees.

I agree it's unfortunate to lose a nice double-row of trees, especially with how long it takes for street trees to establish themselves here.

Back