News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

While driving on Deerfoot I noticed they were doing construction on the hill where Southland Drive and Deerfoot meet. Does anyone know what they are building there?

Are they starting the roadway improvements?

Are they starting the roadway improvements?
Seems unlikely per https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-steers-away-from-p3-funding-for-deerfoot-improvements-1.5984532

Here's the netting put up on the Saddledome ring to prevent loose concrete from falling onto visitors.
20220915_140301.jpg
20220915_140234.jpg

Half of them are burnt out anyways. The dome looks like complete shit from the outside now. Netting to catch crumbling concrete, faded red paint on the exterior elevator towers (made more obvious when you see the bright red paint where the Plus15 was once attached), silver exterior panelling is dirty as hell, burnt out bulbs, the list goes on! I used to be in awe of this building but the Flames have really let it fall apart.

CSEC playing checkers, city of Calgary playing Connect 4.

But honestly what’s the city supposed to do, even if it was maintained the roof needs work. Is that worth the money over building a new? Like I said before, the roof was revolutionary but it also has spelled the end of the building.

Last edited:
The Saddledome isn't ideal in lots of ways. The arena was designed primarily for hockey and the poor acoustics, small lower bowl, and low roof load limits make it an overall terrible music venue. The new arena will be an overall better venue for sports and especially concerts and because the Saddledome needs major repairs it's almost assured to be demolished.
I think the only way the Saddledome isn't completely demolished is if a plan is made to convert it into a smaller secondary venue with a new ordinary arena roof. I imagine it would be cheaper to demolish everything above the main concourse and install a new roof rather then to build a sizeable secondary arena for the Wranglers and Hitmen from scratch.

The Saddledome isn't ideal in lots of ways. The arena was designed primarily for hockey and the poor acoustics, small lower bowl, and low roof load limits make it an overall terrible music venue. The new arena will be an overall better venue for sports and especially concerts and because the Saddledome needs major repairs it's almost assured to be demolished.
I think the only way the Saddledome isn't completely demolished is if a plan is made to convert it into a smaller secondary venue with a new ordinary arena roof. I imagine it would be cheaper to demolish everything above the main concourse and install a new roof rather then to build a sizeable secondary arena for the Wranglers and Hitmen from scratch.
I don't see this city needing a secondary venue. If it gets one, it will be at Foothills Athletic Park as part of its Fieldhouse complex. On that note: I heard back from a councilour's office on the Foothills Athletic Park Redevelopment Assessment Committee... The Social Return on Investment Analysis is complete and will become public at the committee's next meeting that isn't scheduled yet but will occur before December.

Just a reminder, "the Social Return on Investment Analysis will identify the social value that would be created based on capital dollars needed to implement the Foothills+McMahon concept plan". AKA is it worth it.

Back